E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > E46 M3 or e92 335 in HK?

03-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

E46 M3 or e92 335 in HK?

I'm going to move to Hong Kong in a month, so I did some research on auto ownership in hk, and the auto tax is ridiculous! I was just wondering what would be a gd price for an e46 M3 2nd hand? Or should I just get the e92 335? Where would I be able to buy one for a reasonable price used? (I've looked on websites, but couldn't find anything on used bmws in hk except for the offical bmw website) Sorry for the bombardment of questions, help is much appreciated!
Retired - 2008 Audi B8 S5 Coupe
Retired - 2007 BMW E92 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
phawx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92/FG2

Hey are you from UW?

You might want to advise us a price range you're looking at... but know that a 2007 E92 335i is around 450-500k, while a 2003-2004 M3 (if you can find one) is probably similar in price.

As for the differences in the two, well the M3 is more of a track car, while the 335i is a very powerful and capable daily driver. The M3s you will find are most likely in SMGII, while 335i will more likely be auto (unless you get a late model 2008 or 09 which will probably be DCT). I don't know if you're a "MT or nothing" type person, but if so in HK you might have to buy new to ensure this. SMGII is a bit of a pain to drive around town daily, as you have to time the shifts and lift throttle if you want to ride to be smooth. It's a bit of a faster shifter than 335i's Auto, but DCT should be the fastest.

You could look at car8 or 28car websites, which have a lot of used car sales, but beware that it's probably similar to going on Craigslist or Autotrader in Toronto - you won't know what you're buying until you have it up on a jack in a mechanic's shop.

(Click on sig for my car's development thread)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #3
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Hey thanks for the reply. ya, I'm graduating this term from UW, and I'm going to grad school in HK. Since the school is far from where I live (TST), I prob would need a car to get around.

A frd of a frd is actually selling his 2003 M3 for 290000. But I haven't looked at the cars history/ or seen pictures yet. The next option would be to buy a 335i from BMWHK, but it seems like they really jack up their prices. argh

I might even ship my E92 328i from Canada to HK lol, is this even possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phawx View Post
Hey are you from UW?

You might want to advise us a price range you're looking at... but know that a 2007 E92 335i is around 450-500k, while a 2003-2004 M3 (if you can find one) is probably similar in price.

As for the differences in the two, well the M3 is more of a track car, while the 335i is a very powerful and capable daily driver. The M3s you will find are most likely in SMGII, while 335i will more likely be auto (unless you get a late model 2008 or 09 which will probably be DCT). I don't know if you're a "MT or nothing" type person, but if so in HK you might have to buy new to ensure this. SMGII is a bit of a pain to drive around town daily, as you have to time the shifts and lift throttle if you want to ride to be smooth. It's a bit of a faster shifter than 335i's Auto, but DCT should be the fastest.

You could look at car8 or 28car websites, which have a lot of used car sales, but beware that it's probably similar to going on Craigslist or Autotrader in Toronto - you won't know what you're buying until you have it up on a jack in a mechanic's shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
E93DT
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
2009 E93 Cabrio  [0.00]
Yes, it's possible. Please check following links.

http://www.customs.gov.hk/eng/major_...e_motor_e.html

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_servi...ion/index.html

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93DT View Post
wow 85% tax for cars $200 000 HKD and under, and 100% for cars over $200 000
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

i will pick a 335i over m3, its much newer, and less trash, and the 335i torque-ky engine is very suitable for HK's traffic! think like you are looking for a long term gf, which one would you choose, old and aggressively used vs new and lightly used, although i have to admit that the m3 is a hotter, 335i is not bad at all!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
E93DT
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 E93 Cabrio  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicnumb7 View Post
wow 85% tax for cars $200 000 HKD and under, and 100% for cars over $200 000
I think you’re not in details.
The correct calculation way as follow:
If your car value is HKD$ 350,000, THEN
(150,000 * 35%) + (150,000 * 65%) + (50,000 * 85%) = 192,500

If the imported vehicle has previously been registered in the name of the importer in foreign country, depreciation of the purchase price of the vehicle will be allowed from the date of registration in a foreign country to the date of importation into HK. Petrol-engine gets 25% per annum.
Of course, it determined by customs and Excise department. You have to prove by original documents.

Please double check ..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
css
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you’re not in details.
The correct calculation way as follow:
If your car value is HKD$ 350,000, THEN
(150,000 * 35%) + (150,000 * 65%) + (50,000 * 85%) = 192,500

If the imported vehicle has previously been registered in the name of the importer in foreign country, depreciation of the purchase price of the vehicle will be allowed from the date of registration in a foreign country to the date of importation into HK. Petrol-engine gets 25% per annum.
Of course, it determined by customs and Excise department. You have to prove by original documents.

Please double check ..

but its a left hand drive
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply. ya, I'm graduating this term from UW, and I'm going to grad school in HK. Since the school is far from where I live (TST), I prob would need a car to get around.

A frd of a frd is actually selling his 2003 M3 for 290000. But I haven't looked at the cars history/ or seen pictures yet. The next option would be to buy a 335i from BMWHK, but it seems like they really jack up their prices. argh

Well, we do drive on the other side of the road, as in the UK, so I'm afraid you can't import your 328i. In fact, I think it's forbidden to import left-hand drive cars into HK, and only right-hand drives are allowed. So unless you have a car from the UK, Australia, Japan etc, then you have to sell it.

Strictly speaking, HK has an excellent and efficient public transportation system, so even if you live far, technically you do not did a car. And the traffic at TST often can get pretty bad at rush hour, not to mention the road raging taxi and minibuses, so you will be likely stuck in traffic most of the time or dodging those crazed drivers.

Of course, we do still get a car here because, it's a Bmw 3 series, no other vehicle can handle quite like it. If your budget is tight or don't want to spend that much, I say go for the E46 M3. Newer one is too expensive and you can indulge in your passion for even more sporty driving on the weekends. The price is dropping for E46s anyway so you can get a relative bargain. The key is to find a reliable second-hand dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

I sometimes think that if I didn't have to drive myself from meeting to meeting in HK for my job, there's absolutely zero point to owning a car. Expenses are very high in terms of parking and tunnel fees. You may hate never being able to just park in front of a store and buy stuff - everything involves parking lots, many of which are a complete pain in the ass to drive into.

But then I also grew up in Canada (graduated UW in '04!) and driving is in my blood. You probably feel the same way
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
phawx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oda View Post
i will pick a 335i over m3, its much newer, and less trash, and the 335i torque-ky engine is very suitable for HK's traffic! think like you are looking for a long term gf, which one would you choose, old and aggressively used vs new and lightly used, although i have to admit that the m3 is a hotter, 335i is not bad at all!
HAHAHA... I laughed out at your comparison, and glad to own a long term gf But sometimes the pretty, wild, sexy and very roughly used has its appeal, in a weird way as well.

Quote:

Congrats there on graduating! I graduated not too long ago from UW as well.

Are you the kid with the AW E92 328i that I always see parked outside DC? (It'd be funny if you are, but then at least you're not the kid with the E92 M3 parked in Lot N, nor the white C63 AMG with plates "AC 63").

I think you still have a lot of research to do about cars and about your "new environment" when you get back. Not to worry, I think there're friendly members here who will let you pick their brains.

First off, as a few members have already mentioned, it's not at all feasible to import your car from Canada to HK. I SERIOUSLY hope you bothered checking that in HK the steering wheel is on the right side, while they drive on the "wrong" side of the road? Not saying you CAN'T import it... of course, if your family owns a garage and a bunch of "T" Plates, then you can just hang a plate on your LHD car and drive it around town, but with a whole bunch of restrictions. Or you might consider for instance to leave it in Zhuhai International Racetrack to go up for track days, but that'd be about all your car would be good for over here.

If your friend is selling his car for that price, I would call it a pretty sweet deal. Manual / SMGII? If it's manual and you don't buy it, send along his contact, I'm quite interested! LOL...

As to what Wolfman mentioned, I agree with him. If you say TST is far then I assume you're not going PolyU, so that leaves HKUST, CUHK and HKU as the more likely ones. HKUST is the "furthest" one, and for the other two it'll be a tad difficult to find parking space (or will require quite a premium). Getting out of TST will be a nightmare every morning as well...

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
phawx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdx View Post
I sometimes think that if I didn't have to drive myself from meeting to meeting in HK for my job, there's absolutely zero point to owning a car. Expenses are very high in terms of parking and tunnel fees. You may hate never being able to just park in front of a store and buy stuff - everything involves parking lots, many of which are a complete pain in the ass to drive into.

But then I also grew up in Canada (graduated UW in '04!) and driving is in my blood. You probably feel the same way
Looers in HK seem to be uniting on his forum... LOL...

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
css
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phawx View Post
HAHAHA... I laughed out at your comparison, and glad to own a long term gf But sometimes the pretty, wild, sexy and very roughly used has its appeal, in a weird way as well.

haha, thats for short term
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
E93DT
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 E93 Cabrio  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oda View Post
but its a left hand drive
Oh! Yes, forgot this point!

You can import but licensing it needs special approval or on trade plates.

According to the local car magazine, HK has couple of ten vehicles registered for LHD. (not T plates) They also complaint why need special approval. Like other countries UK and JP, both are allowed. China also has many RHD vehicles on the road. So what's the different?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh! Yes, forgot this point!

You can import but licensing it needs special approval or on trade plates.

According to the local car magazine, HK has couple of ten vehicles registered for LHD. (not T plates) They also complaint why need special approval. Like other countries UK and JP, both are allowed. China also has many RHD vehicles on the road. So what's the different?
Yeah I need a correction to my earlier statement. Left-hand drives are not technically 100% forbidden, but the process to import it here is a complete hassle, not to mention all the driving restrictions the gov placed on it. The OP is still better off selling his 328i. As to why you need special approval, it's easy to figure out. The Gov wants to control and restrict car use in Hong Kong to reduce traffic congestion. That's why it's so hard to find a parking spot around here. Unlike in North America, there aren't many places to park your car in urban areas except really expensive multi-story car parks.

The only reason we drive in Hong Kong is because we really enjoy driving our Bimmers. Believe it or not, there are also a few good twisties in the New Territories too. (The other reason is for people to show-off, that's why you see so many Mercedes, Bmws and even Ferrari and Porsche here). As I mentioned in an earlier thread, there is a strange inverse relationship to car ownership in Hong Kong. The more expensive the registration tax, the more people go and buy luxury cars. I guess it's because it's so expensive to own a car here, they might as well buy a nice luxury car if they can afford it rather then a Corolla or Civic.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. It's weird, and also strangely comforting to find so many people form UW here.

What do we drink?! WATER!!!
Where are we??! LOOOOOO
What does that spell?! Waterloooo

Anyways lol

@Phawx, that was prob me hahaha I think I own the only White e92 328i coupe at our University, but they do seem to be getting quite common lately, saw a couple M3s the other day, and the streets seems to be filled with 335is.

And ya, I drove in hk before (IS300 in HS, but don't have it anymore), and know that the steering wheel is on the right side. My dad however has a factory in China and goes back and forth on a weekly basis, and his steering wheel is on the left side, which led me to believe that it might be possible to ship a car to China first, then worry about the registration later. But from what I gather, it seems like a pain in the butt to do so, and I'll still be paying the auto tax if I plan to drive it in HK....sigh

I've applied to Master programs at both HKUST (MASS), and City U (JD). Got an offer from HKUST already, anyone know how respected both of these programs are in terms of employment opportunities in HK?

Also from my research, City U is closer to TST, and only require me to take the MTR, and a bus (approx 30 mins?). But HKUST is hella far, and I haven't yet figured out how to get there via public transportation.

@wolfman, I totally agree with u. It seems like HK is littered with supercars. Last summer I was walking around my resident parking lot, and it was literally like an auto show. Lambo here, GTR there, another Aston over there.. its crazy

@E93DT, thanks man for the websites

Last edited by Vicnumb7; 03-16-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
E93DT
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 E93 Cabrio  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Yeah I need a correction to my earlier statement. Left-hand drives are not technically 100% forbidden, but the process to import it here is a complete hassle, not to mention all the driving restrictions the gov placed on it. The OP is still better off selling his 328i. As to why you need special approval, it's easy to figure out. The Gov wants to control and restrict car use in Hong Kong to reduce traffic congestion. That's why it's so hard to find a parking spot around here. Unlike in North America, there aren't many places to park your car in urban areas except really expensive multi-story car parks.

The only reason we drive in Hong Kong is because we really enjoy driving our Bimmers. Believe it or not, there are also a few good twisties in the New Territories too. (The other reason is for people to show-off, that's why you see so many Mercedes, Bmws and even Ferrari and Porsche here). As I mentioned in an earlier thread, there is a strange inverse relationship to car ownership in Hong Kong. The more expensive the registration tax, the more people go and buy luxury cars. I guess it's because it's so expensive to own a car here, they might as well buy a nice luxury car if they can afford it rather then a Corolla or Civic.
Yep, there could be thousands of reasons to own a car if you can afford and enjoy it. Any car is Okay.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

btw on the car8.com website. If the price is crossed out, does that mean it was sold alrdy?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Wolfman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

@VicNumb7
Yup, there sure are plenty of supercars here, although I do wonder how many of those owners really know how to drive those cars, hehe. Just don't drive like a a**hole here you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
hkm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Alpine White/Blac 325 E92

Quote:
btw on the car8.com website. If the price is crossed out, does that mean it was sold alrdy?
Yes, if its crossed out its been sold. I'd also note that Car8 tends to be mostly dealers while 28car has a number of private sellers.

BTW, I'll send you a PM as I know of a car deal you might be interested in.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
superdx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i E92 SG

water
water
water
loo
loo
loo

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Vicnumb7
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdx View Post
water
water
water
loo
loo
loo

hahaha, anyone here getting smashed for St Pats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkm View Post
Yes, if its crossed out its been sold. I'd also note that Car8 tends to be mostly dealers while 28car has a number of private sellers.

BTW, I'll send you a PM as I know of a car deal you might be interested in.
28car.com doesn't seem to work for me, maybe its a only in hk thing. and let me know about that car!

Last edited by Vicnumb7; 03-17-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0