ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
dyerkes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i/SMG

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
No power for navigation unit

I just finished installing a factory navigation system in my 2005 Z4 3.0i, but I can't seem to get power to the NAV DVD unit. The retrofit instructions that I used indicated that pins 5 and 11 on the backside of the radio supply the power to the unit, but when I test those pins for voltage I get nothing. While I realize that my existing CPU needs to be re-programmed to know that a navigation unit has been installed, I would not have thought that the re-programming would have resulted in these two pins getting power. Does anybody know if that's true? The radio and CD function without issue.

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

You shouldn't need any reprograming. Is the ground cable connected? I had initially not connected the ground cable (it connects somewhere begind the driver seat IIRC) and w/o that there was no power. Once I connected it, everything worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
dyerkes
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I did connect the ground wire to a good metal stud that was holding my alarm tilt sensor. I didn't test to see if it was a good ground, but it looked good. Did you wire yours, and if so, did you use pins 5 and 11 on the backside of the radio? I posted this on another site, and was told that those two pins are for the voice signals from the Nav "turn right in...". I was told that the harness I need is already in place, on the passenger side of the storage compartment. Is that what you used? If so, I'm not exactly sure where I will connect it to, as bith available connection spots on the back of the Nav are now occupied. If my car was pre-wired, did I even need a separate wiring harness?
Any photos or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

My car wasn't pre-wired so I did need to get an additional harness. I also did not need to do any rewiring. I will look @ the diagrams when I get back home.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
dyerkes
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Spaceman Spiff,

Thanks for your assistance. Can you verify whether your wiring harness and setup is identical to what is in this retrofit documentation?

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/joel ... trofit.pdf

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep

Your link is cut short but I think you mean this: http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/j...V_Retrofit.pdf

I bought the parts based on that TIS guide but used a post in an Italian forum for instructions. I still have the PDF print outs of the instructions that I used and I can email it to you.

The TIS shows pins 5 and 11 but I can't tell where the wire's coming from. Could it be the steering wheel controls? I didn't have the MFSW when I was installing mine. It's also possible that I did rewire mine but can't remember it now since it was almost 2 years ago. The instructions that I have don't show any rewiring either!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
dyerkes
Private
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Yes, that's the correct link...thanks. I'm going to look for the wiring loom on TIS, but if you happen to have the part number I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
Appreciate 0