E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Questions about my insurance claim

03-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
GTHaus330i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

Questions about my insurance claim

Ok guys so heres the story...

On february 6th 2010 outside Fantasy Eatery at aprox 3am my car(sg 06 330i) was damaged during a brawl inside the restaurant. I didn't know my car was involved until i walked outside the restaurant and saw the yellow tape around it. I was in shock at first because the yellow matrix beside my car had its windows smashed all-around and the airbags came out. I walked up to the car to check what had happened to it and saw glass all over the hood, a nice refined ass dent along with many scratches on the hood, side mirror smacked forward with the mirror hanging off it(not cracked), and a few dents here and there. What i didn't see was that a seal had been broken on my driver side headlight. At first i wasn't planning to call my insurance company cause i was pretty sure i coulda gotten everything fixed for less than my deductible ($900). The day after i planned to take the car to a local garage to get a quote on the damages, so i took the car for a wash. After the wash I noticed that the driver side headlights were fogging up but i thought nothing much of it UNTIL later on the day my driver side headlights went out. I took it to speedstar to check it out and they confirmed that the ballast blew cause of the condensation in the headlight and that it would cost $700 to get a new one from BMW.
So after hearing that i called my insurance company saying "i wanna do a claim, send a guy to check out my car". Called them on the 8th of February and they finally came today, March 10th. The guy(anthony) looks around my car and says "well, im gonna put you down for dent/paint repair for your hood". I go and say "what about my side mirror and headlights?" he goes and pops in the mirror piece(that was hanging) into the frame of the side mirror and goes "there, now its fixed". At first i was "wtf!?" then he told me to test to see if it functions properly(which it did). So i go on and tell him about how b4 the incident happened my headlights were working perfectly fine and im guessing that someone either kicked or pressed against my headlights really hard nd opened up a seal or something, causing condensation inside the headlight. He then goes "well, i dont see any physical damage on the headlights so i can't put a claim on it. But i ll put a note down for the claim rep".
So basically now i gotta wait for a call from the claim rep to see if they will replace my headlight and ballast for me. Anthony says "atm, the only things we will pay for are the dents in the hood and minor scratches around the car".

So now after thinking about it, theres really no point in going thru insurance if they wont fix my major problems and fix my minor problems which costs less than my deductible is there?
p.s. is the driver side mirror suppose to tilt down when i pop it in reverse? i know the passenger side does but cant remember if driver side is supposed to.

Last edited by GTHaus330i; 03-10-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHaus330i View Post
i know the passenger side does but cant remember if driver side is supposed to.
No it doesn't just the passenger side.

You should have taken the car to BMW or a bodyshop (you can trust) and let them deal with the adjusters, by the way you still can.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526

Last edited by farbmw; 03-10-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Find a used OEM ballast in the forum and call it a day...otherwise, the ones on eBay are not $700 expensive.
      03-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
GTHaus330i
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i

what are my chances that i'll find a used right ballast nd headlight for e90 330i?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...MW+E90+ballast

Left and right ballasts are identical. Just make sure you get one for pre LCI E90.

Headlight will be harder to find because it is expensive.

There's one for about $400 + shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-07-08-BMW-3-s...mZ180477518361

(PS I have no association with the seller)