E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Lux v HID

03-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Moe
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW Drop Top

Lux v HID

Hi guys,

I know this debate been done to death but i currently have LED bulbs in the car from a local supplier (London) my biggets problem is they are just not good enough for day time running lights.

They cannot be seen now the dilemma; if i go for the HID kit will i loose the definitiion of the rings during night time driving? as i have upgraded my standard xenon to 8k i want them to be brighter then the rings (other way round looks stupid IMO ofcourse)

So which will give me good brightness during the day keep the definition of the rings and go well with my 8k headlights at night time. I also have HID fogs so they all need to match up any ideas guys.

Also night time pics taken with a proper cam of both kits would be appreciated.

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Hi guys,

I know this debate been done to death but i currently have LED bulbs in the car from a local supplier (London) my biggets problem is they are just not good enough for day time running lights.

They cannot be seen now the dilemma; if i go for the HID kit will i loose the definitiion of the rings during night time driving? as i have upgraded my standard xenon to 8k i want them to be brighter then the rings (other way round looks stupid IMO ofcourse)

So which will give me good brightness during the day keep the definition of the rings and go well with my 8k headlights at night time. I also have HID fogs so they all need to match up any ideas guys.

Also night time pics taken with a proper cam of both kits would be appreciated.

Thanx
This is a mess waiting to happen. The pictures are all out there and you just have to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Moe
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW Drop Top

What do you means mess waiting to happen???
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
What do you means mess waiting to happen???
There will be people that come in here and say HIDs look like a blob. Then there will be people that post pictures to verify they don't. Then it goes back and forth. I hate to say this, but just do a search and check out both options. This topic really has been beaten to death.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
chewiechewie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
There will be people that come in here and say HIDs look like a blob. Then there will be people that post pictures to verify they don't. Then it goes back and forth. I hate to say this, but just do a search and check out both options. This topic really has been beaten to death.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

HID's will have a huge blob, between these two, LUX h8
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
HID's will have a huge blob, between these two, LUX h8
See, I warned you. Big blob huh?

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
phistyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92 335i

well the blobbing effect is from the same output as the xenons i think...if you say go for a higher or lower output then I don't think there will be blobbing such as a slight tint of blue or yellow...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
See, I warned you. Big blob huh?

at that angle there is no blob, shoot it head on. HID is nice and bright, but there is too many wires in the engine bay for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

try to take a shot head-on
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
beskone
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans BLue e92 335i LCI

Garage List
2012 e92 335i LCI  [0.00]
2009 e92 328i  [10.00]
I've run stock, RD's, HID's and LUX H8

The HID were BY FAR the brightest during the day, with very clearly outlined rings. At night however, when viewed straight on - were a blinding wall of light, no definition at all on the rings, and I would goe high beamed by oncoming drivers at least 2 or 3 times a night as they mistakenly thought I was driving around with my high beams on.

I could take my nice DSLR, crank the shutter speed way up and take a picture that made them look nice an defined straight on, but that's camera trickery - in person they are a blinding mess at night, period.

The LUX, while not as awesome during the day, are still as visible as the stock rings, and at night they are just awesome. Nice and bright and with clear definition on the rings.

If I still had my HID kit I would do a side by side, with a bunch of different settings on my camera and list them so people could really see the difference.

e92 LCI • LeMans BlueSaddle Brown • Bamboo Anthracite • Performance Grilles • CF Performance Spoiler • CF Performance Diffuser • ACS Style Roof Spoiler • LED Interior Lighting • BMS Clutch Stop • BMS Intake • BMS CDV • BMW Performance Exhaust • ST V1 Coilovers • Miro 111 Staggered • More to come!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
long already said that
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
at that angle there is no blob, shoot it head on. HID is nice and bright, but there is too many wires in the engine bay for my taste.
There are definitely more wires. I completely agree with that and would prefer less as well.

I should have another AE option to review shortly.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
rkan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe' -Black Sapphire

Just installed the LUX. Have only seen it at night so far, but sh!t that is bright. and great color. I look forward to checking it out in sunlight but according to weather.com i will have to wait until our sun goes supernova before I will see it again.

Oh, FYI, JESUS %$@$%@%@%$@$@&%^#$ CHRIST! Its hard to get your hand in there with the unit to get it locked in place. I ended up going with a combination of pliers and a screwdriver for a kind of chopstick effect to get it in. (45 mins later)
Worth it though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

I went through alot of AE setup, the HID is by Far the Brightest setup you can get looks nice during the day but at night its kinda hard to sell the rings head on. Lux H8 during the day is ok you can still see the rings but its not like the HID, at night its so more define and you can see both rings even with your headlights on.

here a picture of the Lux
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #16
etmathews
WARRIORS come out to play yay!!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i M Sport

Garage List
Here's a picture of my Lux. Just installed them last night!
Kinda a bad picture. I took it with my iPhone.
Attached Images

2016 340i M Sport/Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Ash Wood Trim/ M performance carbon fiber spoiler, M performance grills, M performance front splitter, M performance carbon fiber mirror caps, Llumar ATX Axcess 30% tint
Appreciate 0