BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
quest01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Evasive Motorsports - Thieves!!

I was looking for some wheel locks for my new wheels. I found a set that I wanted, even though they were way too expensive. I impulse buy sometimes even though I shouldn't. But I liked them, so I bought them. This was at www.evasivemotorsports.com

I was a little worried that the lug bolts might stick out too far on my particular wheel, but there were no product specs with measurments on the website or anywhere else, so I took a chance and just purchased them. As soon as they arrived, I opened the box, pulled out one bolt, measured it, and realized that it would indeed stick out too far if installed. So without installing a single bolt, I immediately repackaged and shipped them back for a refund.

I fully expected to eat the shipping costs for my mistaken purchase. But I was astonished to find out that they have what they call a 30% "re-stocking fee. In other words, even though the product was promptly returned to the company completelu unused and in pristine condition, the feel that it was there right to keep 30% of the cost of the product (almost 1/3) in order to put a 3x5x6cm back on their shelf.

Has anyone else heard of this? Am I out of line for thinking that is a totally dick move to pull on your customers? I highly doubt that it could be very good for business. Who the hell would want to do business with a company that would straight-up steal from you, right in front of you face like that?

I didn't lose a terrible amount of money on that rip-off because all I bought was lug bolts. One of you guys could get really screwed if you purchased something really expensive from this company and needed to return it. Anyway, just thought I would share. Buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

i actually know quite a few companies who have re-stocking fees... hence why you read the return policy before buying.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Sounds like you bought the wrong product, on impulse, from a site that clearly states there is a 30% restocking fee.

Sorry you lost money, but you cannot slam the vendor for delivering precisely what you ordered, and adhering to their published policy.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Restocking fees are pretty standard......plus their policy does inform the buyer that they have the restocking fee of 30%.

Sorry you lost $$

It's difficult to "assume" you will need to return something when you are in the process of buying it, so most people don't look into the specific policies at that time. It's only after there is an issue that those details are reviewed and understood.

Lesson learned ???

I certainly wouldn't hold this against the company however. They are upfront with their policy.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
The restocking fee basically is for the $$ they could have made sold to someone else when the product was in your hands.

It's standard. It should be clearly stated in their return policy though. They are a good company with the JDM lot.
      03-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
quest01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
Restocking fees are pretty standard......plus their policy does inform the buyer that they have the restocking fee of 30%.

Sorry you lost $$

It's difficult to "assume" you will need to return something when you are in the process of buying it, so most people don't look into the specific policies at that time. It's only after there is an issue that those details are reviewed and understood.

Lesson learned ???

I certainly wouldn't hold this against the company however. They are upfront with their policy.

OK, you guys are totally right. I didn't do my homework, which was completely my fault. But I still think the policy sucks, and will put a bad taste in the mouths of customers. I actually find it upsetting to find out from you guys that it is so commonplace.

It reminds me of those Ally Bank commercials that have been on lately....like the one where the kid is handed the red red truck, then its taken away from him because it was "in the fine print". Whether it was in the fine print or not, the kid is looking at the guy like, "you dick, that policy sucks ass".

This was just my first time ever running into such a thing. I had never heard of it before. It makes me feel stolen from. Oh well, I will be more diligent next time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
quest01
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
There is a cost to a company to process returns. You can't expect their employees to work for free because you made a mistake. 15%-30% restocking fees are common and reasonable in my opinion. If you were the seller and had to pay an employee to process a return and the money was coming out of your pocket, you'd feel like money was being stolen from you by the customer who placed an order for the wrong item.
You guys are right. Lesson learned.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
There is a cost to a company to process returns. You can't expect their employees to work for free because you made a mistake. 15%-30% restocking fees are common and reasonable in my opinion. If you were the seller and had to pay an employee to process a return and the money was coming out of your pocket, you'd feel like money was being stolen from you by the customer who placed an order for the wrong item.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

It's not really a fee for wasting time. It's a fee that is commonly charged because of the costs of getting you parts in the first place. In most cases, online retailers do not carry much inventory, and generally big ticket items are special ordered. If you bought a suspension or brake kit from someone who special ordered it for you, and then you return it... well now they have a part for some random application. Vendors have three options, sit on it for who knows how long until someone else needs the exact same part. Problem with this is that you'll be growing your inventory due to returns, and not for parts people want. The second option is to return it to their wholesale source. ALL wholesale manufacturers also charge high restocking fees, so if they're going to pay 30%, well they pass that onto the customer. The third option is to blow the part out by cutting the price significantly. They sell the part cheap, and use your restocking fee to allow them to break even at the discounted price.

Most online vendors don't manufacturing anything themselves, they are just resellers ordering parts as needed, and when they try to be price competitive, they are easily left with 10% margins on many products. One mess up can easily cancel out 10 other successful sales.
Appreciate 0