E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Error in Manual. Voice commands WILL call numbers from your phone!!

08-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #1
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

Talking Error in Manual. Voice commands WILL call numbers from your phone!!

The manual (page 158) says "Voice phone book - Operating by voice command requires a personal voice phone book. The entries must be made by speaking them out loud and they are independent from your portable phone's memory. This means that it is not possible to use voice commands to call phone numbers stored in the portable phone or to store new numbers there."

Wrong!

I tried saying >dial home< and it found the number I had listed in my phone as "home" and asked me if I wanted to call it, even pronouncing "home" correctly. I said >yes< and it connected me!

I'm thinking I should review my stored names to make them suit calling by voice!

Good news for a change!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
mwie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SG

Hi,

storing names and numbers is only nescessary and even possible with the business navigation I think.

So if you have the prof. navi then it works the way it should...

mwie
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
iDrive-E90
Intergalactic Commander
Rep
Drives: 330i

I have the "Professional" navi, and it doesn't understand the voice command >save name< like the manual claims it should (there are other threads on this), but it does recognize >dial fred< which the manual says it doesn't.

The non-navi cars work the other way around. I have no experience with the "business navi".

I've found that you have to have easily pronouncable names in the directory and remember the exact name.

For example if you have "smith john cell", you have to say the three words in the correct sequence. Often I can't remember exactly how I recorded the name

PS the other REALLY useful voice command is >Top 8< which you can say at any time, and it takes you to your list of most often called numbers. That is GREAT!
Appreciate 0