E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Detailing supplies

03-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Detailing supplies

I am heading out this weekend to stock up on all the detailing supplies I will need to look after my baby. I already have the Mother wax but thats as far as I know. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Tundra and all she needed was a touchless carwash every now and again. After hearing horror stories on here I would rather to the detailing myself.

1 - What detailing equipment do you use/prefer?

2- I read that people wax the inside of their rims, what wax is used there?

I have done a search in here but didn't come up with the results I was looking for.

Cheers

Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
bma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

That thread should answer most of your questions. Try Poorboys wheel sealant for your wheels. Probably the most popular wheel wax/sealant with the members here. Very easy to apply and smells great!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Thanks for the link, I completely forgot about the detailing forum in here.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
cadthis
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT

I'm a big Meguiar's fan and having been using their 3-step Deep Crystal system for a while... I do clay first which really does make a big difference to surface smoothness.

Their Rich Leather wipes are great for interior especially if it's a light colour...

For the tires I use their Gold Class Endurance tire gel, which has last longer than other products I've tried in the past...

Here's couple of sites you can visit for more info:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php?

http://www.autogeek.net/index.html

If you don't have any detailing supplies already, do be prepare to spend a few bucks and allow a good part of a day for the work.

Good luck and have fun!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
icandie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

i use Poor boys wheel sealant.. it works well, but make sure you buff/polish it off properly. I did a crappy job on mine, which only really revealed itself after driving around for a while when the brake dust stuck to the sealant. (at the time I was amazed at how easily it buffed out; unbeknownst to me, tons of product was left on my rims, and the brake dust really stuck to it - it was a bit of a mess)

also many of the products that are recommended in the detailing forum aren't readily available (or aren't available at all) in Canadian retail stores. My solution has been buying products from www.eshine.ca (Canadian online company).
08 E92 Black Sapphire 328i / Cream Beige / 6MT / Sport / L7 / OEM Aero Lip / OEM M3 Rear Spoiler / OEM Matte Black Grills / Smoked Reflectors / MTEC H8 Super White Fogs / LUX H8 / H&R Sport / Breyton Race GTS

cream on the inside, clean on the outside ... i love my bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Hi,

it's good to hear that there are people out there who love their car(s) as much as myself. I am a detailer...have been since '86. Products have come a long way since then. Over the many years I have detailed, I have tried just about every brand of detailing product out there.

I personally prefer Carbrite products and some Zepp products...depending on what I'm detailing (interior/exterior).

I suggest you purchase a pre-wax cleaner. This basically strips away all the previous wax (if any). Meguires & Mothers both make one. You can also use a polish to strip away the oxidation and/or remove some light scratches. You'll notice a huge difference after this step. Some even stop here and not apply a wax and sealer. The clay bar step is also important. Depending on how much time you have, this step can surely eat up a lot of it. A clay bar is also very handy in removing those stubborn yellow spots most commonly seen on white cars.

What color is your car?

Oh, almost forgot...get yourself a bunch of microfiber towels. Really good in taking off wax and buffing.

Don't forget to apply some conditioning to those interior plastic pieces/trims i.e dash, door trims, exterior plastic pieces. This will bring back the lustre and condition the plastics from fading and cracking.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
I am heading out this weekend to stock up on all the detailing supplies I will need to look after my baby. I already have the Mother wax but thats as far as I know. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Tundra and all she needed was a touchless carwash every now and again. After hearing horror stories on here I would rather to the detailing myself.

1 - What detailing equipment do you use/prefer?

2- I read that people wax the inside of their rims, what wax is used there?

I have done a search in here but didn't come up with the results I was looking for.

Cheers

Martin
BMS PBX/full OEM M-Tech/Perf SSK/Perf strut bar/Perf exhaust/Perf steering wheel/Perf CF trunk spoiler/Perf Handbrake lever/AFe Stage 2 intake/Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors all around/Powerstop Carbon Ceramic pads/M3 front Control Arms/SS brake lines/Koni Yellows/H&R sport springs/Pilot Super Sports all around/PIAA angel eyes/matte black grills/CF splitters/20% tints all-around
Appreciate 0