E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen > xenon conversion, autoleveling, will it work?

02-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

Halogen > xenon conversion, autoleveling, will it work?

so, have anyone of you made the easy plug and play conversion? there are a 2-3 guys sellings theese. and i was wondering if autoleveling works?

what is autoleveling? it makes the lights go up and down automatically right?

or do i have to add something more to make this work?

anyone done this who knows a bit about it? please help me out
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Autoleveling requires some wiring and sensors installed on the control arms to make it work. You will have to do some research on parts and necessary wiring/coding (if it's possible). I don't think it's worth the hassle, autoleveling accounts for changes in suspension loads that will cause the headlights to aim higher or lower than normal.

For instance, if you load the car with luggage, the rear will sit lower than normal so the headlights will be pointed too high. Autoleveling will adjust the headlights down to compensate for this load.

However, if the headlights are aimed properly, you typically won't need the function which is why I think it's more hassle than it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

but the main problem i have is car inspection in sweden. ive already bought the lights, and damon did alot of job and put effort in to this already. so im keeping them for a while, but the problem still is that autoleveling is a MUST in europe. i did not know this, i just found out yesterday. so i will fail car inspection. on the other hand, theese lights are perfect for US cars. lol but i will keep em for a while and see, otherwise ill hand them over to a guy from the us who wants them
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Patsfan123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Auto-leveling is required for Xenon in the USA as well but no one checks..
Appreciate 0