2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum The 2010 Acura ZDX vs. BMW Gran Turismo / Apples to...strange looking apples

02-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
The 2010 Acura ZDX vs. BMW Gran Turismo / Apples to...strange looking apples

Acura's news letters

http://www.imakenews.com/connollyacu...D94dL,bcBFCc9L

The 2010 Acura ZDX vs. BMW Gran Turismo
Apples to…strange looking apples.

Acura now offers a chance to buy concept-car design and performance in the all-new 2010 ZDX. It’s unlike anything else on the road. BMW says the same thing about its new 550i Gran Turismo. Are they comparable?

The 2010 Acura ZDX is making a strong impression on all who see it – and in a good way. That’s what happens when you package Acura’s award-winning performance, luxury and quality into a body that just knocks peoples’ socks off when they see it.

The folks at BMW understandably would want to get a similar reaction for their newest model, the 550i Gran Turismo. And they are – but not necessarily in a good way. The BMW 550i Gran Turismo is supposed to be some kind of cross between a sedan, a coupe, a wagon and an SUV, and it looks as “unique” as that convoluted concoction might suggest.

Since the Acura ZDX and BMW 550i Gran Turismo both strive to break the mold, so to speak, it’s worth looking at the two of them at once. Automotive media have already weighed in on the styling of both. Look up any review of the Acura ZDX, and it is peppered with superlatives about the design.

Do the same for the BMW Gran Turismo and you’re likely to find some unflattering comparisons to another four-door-plus-rear-hatch vehicle from a few years back, the unlamented Pontiac Aztek. Have you forgotten the Aztek? Search the Internet and see why some of the most respected auto journals and blogs are using the Aztek’s name in the same sentence as the new BMW Gran Turismo.

The Acura ZDX, in comparison to the award-winning Acura MDX model on which it is based, does give up some interior room in order to make its stunning concept-car styling possible. But the ZDX is still far more practical than coupes that force compromises in the passenger cabin.

The BMW Gran Turismo, on the other hand, does offer lots of room, but you can get that roominess from a stylish luxury SUV or crossover. The Acura MDX, which offers seven-passenger seating, is the perfect example. The MDX and ZDX share powertrain and chassis technology including Acura’s superb 300-hp 3.7-liter V6 engine and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD).

The BMW Gran Turismo isn’t just raising eyebrows with its “unique styling.” Car enthusiasts and media are having a hard time with its name, too. The definition of “gran turismo” (or “grand touring” in good old English), they point out, is that of a high-performance, low-slung sports coupe. Think Aston Martin, Ferrari and Maserati. (In fact, Maserati has a model called the GranTurismo.) Even BMW offers cars that fit that description, making the name on this 5,000-pound hatchback somewhat puzzling.

The BMW Gran Turismo offers undeniable luxury – for its $63,900 MSRP, something about it ought to be grand! The Acura ZDX, meanwhile, starts at an MSRP of $45,495, which includes hand-stitched leather interior, heated front seats, Bluetooth HandsFreeLink® connectivity, a power tailgate and a high-powered audio system with CD player, AM/FM, XM Satellite Radio and USB audio connectivity with iPod integration. Undeniable luxury, for less!

The ZDX with the Technology Package adds several key features including an Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, an Acura/ELS Surround® premium audio system and a new multi-view rear camera. Pardon a little name-dropping, but “ELS” stands for Grammy Award-winning music producer and engineer Elliot Scheiner who tuned the system for Acura. He’s worked with The Eagles, Bruce Hornsby, Aerosmith and Fleetwood Mac, among others.

To those features, the Advance Package adds a blind spot information system, a Collision Mitigating Braking System™ and Adaptive Cruise Control, plus the sumptuous luxury of six-level heated and ventilated front seats. A highlight of this package is the Integrated Dynamics System, which lets the ZDX driver tailor the vehicle’s ride and handling, choosing more comfort or sportier handling with the turn of a dial.

The system adjusts response for the fully independent suspension’s Active Damper System and speed-sensitive steering together, to suit the driver’s preferences. The 19 x 8.5-inch seven-spoke aluminum alloy wheels are the largest standard wheels in the Acura model line.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and some may indeed find beauty in the BMW Gran Turismo. Meanwhile, the 2010 Acura ZDX has set a new standard for combining head-turning coupe-like styling, luxury, high performance and value. Now that is a grand combination!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
IMHO: The ZDX is not a competitor for the GT. I would say a comparison against the X6 - Xdrive3.5 would be more appropriate. I will give the Acura a 6 on looks. That being said rear seat head room is nil for anyone over 6 feet in the ZDX. Performance wise the x6 will run circles around the ZDX.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
PinkAle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW x6 2007 BMW 530xi

As someone who will soon own both I completely with can fan as for ska325xi it just sounds to me like you picked the wrong car. If you look at the reviews of the GT it also states that the GT was designed for the European market and not the US market so you either Love the GT or hate it period
Appreciate 0