E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Door vinyl tear

11-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

Door vinyl tear

So I was washing my beloved E90 recently and during the routine wipedown of the door jams, I notice the rear right door panel has a tear in the vinyl. Its below the door handle, so might have been a sharp shoe edge or something that hit it on the way out - I'm only guessing. Really don't care how it got there, just that it is. Never noticed it before and my wife (who is the only person that's ridden int he back seat, ever) swears she doesn't remember doing this.

Its about 1" long and a bit jagged. Not a slice from a knife. Like a semi-sharp rip/cut/tear thing.

Anybody ever do any interior vinyl repairs? Does BMW have something that we can use to 'patch' over this? I have a black interior, so I'm just looking for a patch of some sort to go over this so the tear doesn't get any bigger/longer. Its low on the door, so you don't see it until you bend over and really look for it.

(Damn! 1st the bumper is dented, then my CF front lip gets cracked and now the door vinyl is ripped. Thank goodness I'm chanigng out my tags that have "666" in them! Im' telling you my baby is taking a beating.)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

I dunno if its available or not at there, but Dr.Vinyl has a great service of repairing that stuff. After its fixed, you cant tell the difference
      11-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Try and get it done at your dealer, im sure they have had many problems like this in there service department. therefore they would have a better idea of fixing your cars vinyl tear.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

show dealer and pretend you don't know what happen. If luck is on your side, they replace it for free. Does not hurt to give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Snowman811
Black Sapphire 330i
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 330i

All - I've since found numerous Vinyl repair kits that are available for a DIY, ~$20. Seems like this is the right way to go, rather than present this to the dealership. Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0