E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M Tech install questions

02-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

M Tech install questions

OK so 8 hours later and a couple of beers I managed to get my M Tech kit installed. Couple of questions for those that have done it:
1) I forgot to cut the front trim piece like the instructions stated and I cant get the underbody trim piece to bolt onto the bumper now in the middle. It is secure on the corners and everywhere else. Is this going to be problem? I really do not want to remove the bumper as those two corner bolts behind the lights are a PITA.
2) My side skirts came pre-installed with bigger white push grommets unlike our OEM ones that are yellow and thinner. I could not get the big white grommets to go in the factory rubber holes. So I used the thinner yellow ones. Anyone run into this? I am afraid to drive it and have the air rip the side skirt off. Was I supposed to pull out the rubber holders to allow the big white grommets to push into the body?
3) I could not get the H11 harness apart to retrofit it to 9006 so for now no fogs.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Mehale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I wouldn't mind answers to these questions as well.... I am installing my mtech kit this weekend...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
hitster
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Im doing mine this weekend too, front bumper only though.. Im wondering about the fogs, I thought the connectors on the OEM were the same as the new M-Tech ones.. am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep

The original connectors are for a H11 bulb and the new MTech kit uses the 9006 bulbs so you will have to convert the plug with the conversion plugs BMW supplies in the MTech conversion kit. I don't know why BMW couldn't make a PNP conversion plug??? Here is a video of how to get the H11 plug apart.
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1266861244.flv
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Nikoljan
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: bmw

you mean that the connectors in oem pre-lci and lci mtech in fog lights are different?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
hitster
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

is there a part number for this conversion kit?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Nikoljan
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep

I suppose 61138364498 but you have to check this.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitster View Post
is there a part number for this conversion kit?
Dunno. I got the whole kit from BMW it came with everything needed to retrofit my car with the M Tech kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
hitster
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

I asked Tischer today in the hope that I could order the bits from them asap, the response I got was if you are installing the m-tech fogs in place of the oem fogs, the connectors are the same and its just a case of swapping them out. I also checked the M-Tech install guide and no where within does it mention the need for any adapters or plugs or anything for that matter relating to the connectors.. so Im guessing Ive misinterpreted what Moto69joe initially said..

When you said retrofit, you mean disconnect the old fogs, and plug in the new m-tech fogs, and that this wont work because you need conversion plugs...

I guess I will find out this weekend!! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
MODMRFIXIT
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08e90

just finished the m tech rear bumper w/carbon fiber 3d difuser and skirts came out great
had a few problems i had to work out but fits like a glove, if any one needs help let me know
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
rmklaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW i4 eDrive 40 M Sport

I am ready to order the whole MTech kit (front, rear and rocker panels). How hard is it to remove the old and install the new in a 2010 E93 for somebody technically competent, but has never removed body parts before?

Scared, I guess. Thanks.

2022 i4 eDrive40 M Sport Package, Tanzanite Blue II Metallic with Tacora Red Vernasca Leather, Premium, Parking Assistant Plus, Dynamic Handling, Shadowline, packages, HUD, Ion Adaptive LED w/Laserlight, Iconic Sounds.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Nikoljan
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODMRFIXIT View Post
just finished the m tech rear bumper w/carbon fiber 3d difuser and skirts came out great
had a few problems i had to work out but fits like a glove, if any one needs help let me know

are the m-tech skirts much lower?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
hitster
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoljan View Post
are the m-tech skirts much lower?
The front bumper consists of more than just the cover, you need the wheel arch liners, air ducts (three of them if you have a 335), and a few other bits n pieces like an adapter strip etc, the install is relatively easy, I did it last weekend and I was super thorough in know exactly what went where before I did it, simply because I didn't want to have to put everything back after knowing I was missing something etc.. and as a result I realized prior to the install that the dealer had actually ordered some wrong parts, this is why ordering from Tischer etc using the Vin will ensure you get all the correct parts. As an example, the fog light support brackets, on the 335i one of the brackets has a cut out for air flow where as for other E92 models its blanked out, also the adapter strip for the E93 convertible is different to the E92.

Many of the existing screws and fittings such as the bumper guides can be reused, but again getting the kit as a package will ensure you get all the right parts.

Side Skirts, these were a piece of cake, no issues there.

Rear bumper, just need to take care in popping out the clips to ensure you don't break them on the way out or the way back in, there are DIY videos for both the front and rear removal which as well as paper based installation guides on older threads.
Appreciate 0