E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada - Lease End Buy Out Sweet Incentive not so Sweet

02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
rje
RJE 335xi E90 Monaco Blue/Lemon, MB C350 White/Blk
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-335xi E90, 07 MDX,11 C350-4

Canada - Lease End Buy Out Sweet Incentive not so Sweet

Apparently you might be getting a letter from BMW to contact your retailer coz you might qualify for some incentive to buy your vehicle at lease end.

Just spoke to the dealership in Calgary (lease end portfolio person) about this and found out it is based more on how high your mileage is compared to what you signed up for. You are supposed to call your retailer and tell them your exact mileage and they will contact head office for you and let you know if you qualify for anything. She highly doubted I will get anything since my contract is for 60k km and I'm only at 39k km with 6 mos left. This is more for the over their contacted km by 5k to 20k since they don't want ending up with high mileage used cars. My guess is the rebate amount would be equivalent to the penalty you have paid for if you returned the car. Quite disappointing, and the 5.9% rate doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Wonder what will happen if you tell them your car is 10K over? Will they check?

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
rje
Philippines
Rep

I think they will check, you have to give them your exact kilometer reading, not an estimate. They might ask you to come in when you sign the papers and they can just quickly check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Now, maybe if you wrap your car around a tree and then have it repaired, they'll offer you a bit of a discount on the buyout.

If you like your BMW enough to buy it, there's a good chance you'll buy or lease a brand new one as a second option. As long as the profit they'll make from selling you a new car plus re-selling your lease turn-in exceeds the profit they'll make from you buying the car at the residual value, there's little reason for offering you more incentives to buy out your lease. Given how much used BMWs list for at dealerships, I am guessing that they probably want your lease-end vehicle back for resale, as long as it is in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Hmmm I wonder what they'll offer me? I'll def be at or over my 78K by next year.

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
rje
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02themax View Post
Hmmm I wonder what they'll offer me? I'll def be at or over my 78K by next year.
The offer started last year and has been extended this year according to the dealership. Don't know if still available next year. Talk to the Lease End Portfolio at the dealership, if it's Calgary BMW at the South it is Jennifer Nguyen you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2 View Post
Now, maybe if you wrap your car around a tree and then have it repaired, they'll offer you a bit of a discount on the buyout.

If you like your BMW enough to buy it, there's a good chance you'll buy or lease a brand new one as a second option. As long as the profit they'll make from selling you a new car plus re-selling your lease turn-in exceeds the profit they'll make from you buying the car at the residual value, there's little reason for offering you more incentives to buy out your lease. Given how much used BMWs list for at dealerships, I am guessing that they probably want your lease-end vehicle back for resale, as long as it is in good shape.
No dealer makes any 'profit' when you buy a car at lease-end. Your "deal" is with BMW FS, although you work through a dealer. there is also nothing mandating you to work through the dealer you originally leased the car through. You simply pay the agreed upon residual amount plus taxes and any final admin fee that was on the lease agreement form. If you buy it from BMW non-CPO, that's it...you're done. If you want it CPO, then you have to dance with the dealer. If you choose to return the car, you can choose whichever dealer you want to deal with for the return. I confirmed this with BMW FS before I signed the agreement. The only 'leverage' that a dealer has, is that they have first right of refusal to take the lease return into their own inventory -- if they choose not to, then BMW will redirect the car or send it to auction.

I've returned a leased vehicle to another dealer before because the originating dealer was being an idiot. They told me I HAD to return the vehicle to them, and got all pissy when I told them I had been troubled by their service throughout the lease, and had confirmed with GMAC that I could return the vehicle to any authorized GM dealer. I walked out of the dealership never looking back, went to another well respected dealer to return my vehicle, and was given a $1,500 dealer credit voucher for a new purchase or lease because of how well I had kept care of the vehicle -- that's a business model more dealers should use.

Regards
      02-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
fastrack
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 MW e92 M3

Garage List
2021 M2c  [0.00]
I was told by the dealer you cannot CPO the car and lease it again. You can either buy it out or return it. If you return it they will CPO the car and then u can hope the car is still around to lease it or buy it. Anyone can confirm this? It doesn't make sense to me. Sounds to me they hope i get a new one.

Mineral White + HRE + Brembo + Eisenmann + Challenge = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrack View Post
I was told by the dealer you cannot CPO the car and lease it again. You can either buy it out or return it. If you return it they will CPO the car and then u can hope the car is still around to lease it or buy it. Anyone can confirm this? It doesn't make sense to me. Sounds to me they hope i get a new one.
I think that's correct, you can only get a CPO car by buying or leasing one from the dealer, not by turning your existing leased vehicle into a CPO. I think it's probably driven by the dealers. They buy off-lease vehicles from BMW at private auctions, and have a much bigger profit opportunity than if they simply charged a fee for the CPO warranty.
      02-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
I think that's correct, you can only get a CPO car by buying or leasing one from the dealer, not by turning your existing leased vehicle into a CPO. I think it's probably driven by the dealers. They buy off-lease vehicles from BMW at private auctions, and have a much bigger profit opportunity than if they simply charged a fee for the CPO warranty.
yep, it's unfortunate that canadian dealers don't CPO one's own leased vehicle (for buyout), unlike in the US where it's common practice. this is the 2nd major distinction between bmwna and bmwca, 1st being the comprehensive no-cost maintenance package for american bmw owners ONLY.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
DnA Diesel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d Sport SGrey/Blk/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
yep, it's unfortunate that canadian dealers don't CPO one's own leased vehicle (for buyout), unlike in the US where it's common practice. this is the 2nd major distinction between bmwna and bmwca, 1st being the comprehensive no-cost maintenance package for american bmw owners ONLY.
2009's have 4/80 maintenance.