Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need advice on new tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Need advice on new tires

I bought my '07 335 last month and it came with the OEM RFT's summer performance tires. These as you all know, suck in anything but dry/summer wet conditions. It's February on the east coast!! Also I plan to get new wheels and summer high performance tires and use my OEM rims with winter/all season tires by the years end.

So my question is this: I know it's going to snow some more however winter is slowly coming to a close. Do I spend my money now and get some high performance all season tires on my curb rashed OEM wheels and live with them through summer; buy some dedicated winter tires and slap them onto the OEM wheels now then buy new wheels and High performance tires in about two months or so; OR just deal with the current tires for a few more weeks of winter and spend the $$$ on some new wheels and summer tires now and get winter tires later in the year?

I can only afford one set of tires and one set of new wheels now, so I'm a bit limited to what I can get.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

On your previous cars what did you drive on in the winter? All season or winter tires?

I'd do whatever is appropriate for winter on your OE wheels and then get something that makes you happy for the rest of the year.

BTW...... it's February on the left coast too! I'm told almost everywhere

Jay
      02-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Just deal with what you got and then get some nice wheels and summer tires for the spring. I run the RFT's in the snow with no problem, some hate them, as do I, but they work just fine in the snow if you are reasonable with driving this time of year. I have a nice brand new set up waiting patiently in the garage til winter breaks then, I will be ballin!
      02-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I ran dedicated summer and winter tires/wheels on my old R32 but on our Prius I run the stock all seasons which work fine. I looked around and found some sweet looking BFgoodwrench all season high-performance tires but I wonder how "good" they are in the summer. I do want to get new wheels and have a set picked out and if I am going to have two sets of wheels, I might as well go full winter on what I have.

The past week I got the 335 stuck at a friends house and had a unscheduled sleep over being that I couldn't get back up is driveway that was covered in patches of ice and slush. Since I have heard another big storm is headed our way I wanted to be prepared but I'm starting to think I might just keep the 335 in the garage and take our beat up old 2002 Civic instead as that has some good all season tread.

Strangely enough, across the dozen or so cars I have owned over the past 14 years, I have never had a RWD car, always FWD or AWD so this question of winter tred has never been a major issue. I want to maximize the best grip in summer but I don't want my car to be garaged for all of winter as it's more or less my DD. I guess the real question is are All season high performance tires good in summer and decent enough in winter to bother getting or is going the whole two sets for different seasons the better route?

granted I do still want new rims... mmmmm rims....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

I had my E46 in Boston and RI for several years, and all-season tires would not have cut it through the winters there. I was never stuck with my Blizzaks, and it's not worth getting into an accident, the cost of the deducible and increased rates would more than pay for a winter setup.

Put a set of Blizzaks on now, and then decide what you can do in the summer, worst case, put the OEM RFTs back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
jayhudson
Ex-CCA racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

I'd say no dice on all seasons. I recently went thru the same decision process and read too many saying the a/s tires just didn't have the performance of a summer tire. I don't want my car to be uncomfortable but I also don't want a squishmobile with musy, numb feeling tires.

I ended up getting Bridgestone RE760 Sports. So far I'm likin' them. I drive them year round but not in snow or ice. We get a lot of freezing/sub-freezing weather where I live but not much snow.

Jay