Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Velocity Motoring Reps - Strength/Durability

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Velocity Motoring Reps - Strength/Durability

I had one of the first sets of Velocity Motoring CSL Reps on my e46. Needless to say over 3 years I cracked or bent 6 CSL rims and had to buy replacements. I avoid potholes but I do drive on some very bad NYC roads so its unavoidable at times.

Fast forward to my first e92 335 in 2007. After all the trouble with rims I decided to stay stock with the RFT. Over the 3 year lease I only cracked one rim and that was on a HUGE hole in the road. The durability of OEM is obviously better than my CSL reps were.

Now my second e92 335 I am rocking M6 replicas from **********s. The wheels look stunning and don't cost much! I rocked the OEM 19s for the few months no bent or cracked rims. Now with the Miro M6 replicas I have 3 bent rims all of which need to be replaced or repaired because they are leaking air.

I don't see anything listed about how durable these wheels are. When I compare them with the Forgestar rims I noticed Forgestar they says this:

"Strength - Flow-formed wheels are similar in strength to that of a fully forged wheel, without the cost. The process used to make the Forgestar wheels is the same process BBS wheels uses as well. Forgestar wheels are also rated at 1500 lbs per wheel which is considerably more than a cast wheels which are typically around 1000-1200 lbs. per wheel."

What kind of strength/durability does Velocity Motoring/Miro wheels have? Is there any safe rims that are as strong as OEM? I understand you get what you pay for but I would like to look into a few options. Replacing 3 bent rims within only 3 months of ownership is excessive.

Thanks!

Last edited by Andrew9931; 02-18-2010 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: sorry I meant Miro M6
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
sam2428
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe - Alpine White

What size wheels are you running? maybe switch to a smaller wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
DV
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Garage List
VMR wheels are gravity cast. I went with Alufelgen because they're priced about the same as VMR, but use a low pressure casting process which produces a stronger, lighter wheel.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV View Post
VMR wheels are gravity cast. I went with Alufelgen because they're priced about the same as VMR, but use a low pressure casting process which produces a stronger, lighter wheel.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=9
+1

If you would like a strong set of wheels without braking the wallet, Alufelgen is your top choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVM3NYC View Post
I had one of the first sets of Velocity Motoring CSL Reps on my e46. Needless to say over 3 years I cracked or bent 6 CSL rims and had to buy replacements. I avoid potholes but I do drive on some very bad NYC roads so its unavoidable at times.

Fast forward to my first e92 335 in 2007. After all the trouble with rims I decided to stay stock with the RFT. Over the 3 year lease I only cracked one rim and that was on a HUGE hole in the road. The durability of OEM is obviously better than my CSL reps were.

Now my second e92 335 I am rocking Velocity Motoring M6 replicas. The wheels look stunning and don't cost much! I rocked the OEM 19s for the few months no bent or cracked rims. Now with the Velocity Motoring M6 replicas I have 3 bent rims all of which need to be replaced or repaired because they are leaking air.

I don't see anything listed about how durable these wheels are. When I compare them with the Forgestar rims I noticed Forgestar they says this:

"Strength - Flow-formed wheels are similar in strength to that of a fully forged wheel, without the cost. The process used to make the Forgestar wheels is the same process BBS wheels uses as well. Forgestar wheels are also rated at 1500 lbs per wheel which is considerably more than a cast wheels which are typically around 1000-1200 lbs. per wheel."

What kind of strength/durability does Velocity Motoring wheels have? Is there any safe rims that are as strong as OEM? I understand you get what you pay for but I would like to look into a few options. Replacing 3 bent rims within only 3 months of ownership is excessive.

Thanks!
OP,

Not one single brand of wheels will be indestructible. With that in mind look that even under your circumstances you managed to bent even an OEM wheel. Although one is better than 6.

If you would like a durable wheel in the same style I would recommend to try our CS7 (CSL Wheels) or our SF-71. They are low-pressure cast which makes them as strong as OEM and can take a beating quite well. Try to stay away from gravity cast wheels since they are a bit softer than others. Also, your M6 reps were probably Miro wheels which are also gravity.

Our wheels are also rated at 1600lbs per corner which is a good 100lbs more than the majority of the wheels out there.

Here is a good thread about manufacturing methods to help you understand it better:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295274

Let me know if you have any questions,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
OP, you might want to get your wheels straight before making a decision. VMR does not make an M6 rep, Miro does. So I would not base your decision on that. Low-pressure cast is obviously a preferred casting process but the quality of VMR wheels is also top notch.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Temonio
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
OP, you might want to get your wheels straight before making a decision. VMR does not make an M6 rep, Miro does. So I would not base your decision on that. Low-pressure cast is obviously a preferred casting process but the quality of VMR wheels is also top notch.
Good catch.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

I have the VMR VB3 CSL reps, matte black staggered, 19"

I have SLAMMED these things into potholes in the road at 45mph and 75mph and havent cracked or bent them yet. I canyon run them every weekend and daily drive my car.

VMR wheels are great wheels, they are lighter then stock and fit perfect and from my torture testing, I can say they stand up to abuse very well.

Last edited by Gavin@MMW; 02-18-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. VMR continues to be a top choice among forum members, we've carried them for over 5 years and continue to do so because of their quality and value.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

*knock on wood* 2.5 years on my VMR CSL's driving in San Francisco streets (some curbage and nicks), which is user error, but no bendys.

And trust me when I say, San Francisco streets SUCK!

Mine are 19"
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Now my second e92 335 I am rocking Velocity Motoring M6 replicas. The wheels look stunning and don't cost much! I rocked the OEM 19s for the few months no bent or cracked rims. Now with the Velocity Motoring M6 replicas I have 3 bent rims all of which need to be replaced or repaired because they are leaking air.
Velocity Motoring does not make an M6 Replica wheel. More than likely you have the Miro M6 Reps. Please double check to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
I have the VMR VB3 CSL reps, matte black staggered, 19"

I have SLAMMED these things into potholes in the road at 45mph and 75mph and havent cracked or bent them yet. I canyon run them every weekend and daily drive my car.

VMR wheels are great wheels, they are lighter then stock and fit perfect and from my torture testing, I can say they stand up to abuse very well.
+1

I'm runnning VMR V715s are great. I drive thru Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan on a daily basis, and not one problem. I've had scares when hitting holes, but the outcome was fine.
      02-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i 6MT

OP said he also had VMR's CSL reps

Are the CSL reps for the e46 diff. from the e9x's?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
F3thirty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 XI Coupe

I can relate

You know, I can relate with NVM3NYC's post. I also do a lot of driving on Long Island and in New York City. The roads here really suck. There is no way to avoid it.

I had a set of RIAL wheels I bought from the Tire Rack. They were 19 X 8's. I bent 3 rims in a matter of months. I replaced them all. I just sold them.

I am looking at purchasing an 18" wheel set now and I am struggling to figure out what a strong set of aftermarket wheels would be.

I started to gravitate toward VMR wheels. Tons of members seem to be buying VMR wheels. I just don't want to have a similar experience that I had with the RIAL wheels. I took a $1,000 loss on the sale.

Looks like forged wheels will break the bank. Is there a good quality brand that stands out from the others, yet is somewhat affordable?

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni8shadow View Post
OP said he also had VMR's CSL reps

Are the CSL reps for the e46 diff. from the e9x's?
They are only different in width and offsets, the construction and design will be the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:

What kind of strength/durability does Velocity Motoring wheels have? Is there any safe rims that are as strong as OEM? I understand you get what you pay for but I would like to look into a few options. Replacing 3 bent rims within only 3 months of ownership is excessive.

Thanks!
VMR does not make the M6 wheel and I would assume like everyone else that you've purchased the MiRo Type 346 M6 style wheel. I know for a fact that all wheels brought in by MiRo are all low-pressure cast wheels and from my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) that the VMR wheels are low pressure cast as well.

Forgestar is a highly reputable company and is wide known throughout the industry and I'm sure you've heard of iForged Performance Wheels. As many of you already know, iForged is the parent company of Forgestar. This brand new lineup utilizes a combination of the best methods of forging and casting methods both in the same wheel. This is called Flow Form Casting, and is used by companies such as BBS and Enkei. These wheels are made to order and can be made to fit your BMW with a large range of offsets.

Flow Form Casting is a production procedure that turns the wheel (or rim section) over a special mandrel and three hydraulic rollers using tremendous pressure. The pressure and turning then force the rim area to form against the mandrel, creating the shape and width of the rim. During Flow Forming, the rim actually "flows" down to create the full rim width. During Flow Forming, pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. Forgestar Wheels also won two SEMA International Media Awards in 2009.

"A voting panel panel of editors and journalists representing 25 countries selected Forgestar Custom wheels as one of ten winning products in its category for the 2009 Global Media Award. Forgestar was awarded two awards for best new wheel product. The SEMA Global Media Awards Program recognizes that automotive personalization and customization is growing worldwide. Though the appeal of making cars and trucks fit one's lifestyle has strong roots in the U.S., this enthusiast attitude is universal. SEMA introduced the awards program in 2004 and now it is a staple of the SEMA Show here in Las Vegas. The program enables SEMA member companies to get recognition in new, worldwide markets"

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

I have VMR VB3s 18" and I recently drove over a pothole due to construction at around 30 mph and my wheel is still fine
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
CT
GODXSPD
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII E90M

A gravity-cast wheel compared to a low-pressure cast wheel will not always lose out. The stress margins accounted for will always be the final factor to take into account (but no one likes to publish those ). Don't shy away from VMR because of the casting method. I've put my set through its fair share of torment and have been impressed so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #19
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Thanks everyone for the responses. I meant MiRo M6 reps which I bought from **********s. I am liking the Forgestar wheels a lot especially now I know their affiliation with iForged. Any other recommendations for rims near $1000? AluFelgen sounds cool also but I am bored of the CSL style.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I meant MiRo M6 reps which I bought from **********s. I am liking the Forgestar wheels a lot especially now I know their affiliation with iForged. Any other recommendations for rims near $1000? AluFelgen sounds cool also but I am bored of the CSL style.
VMR has many choices for rims, not just CSL's

they have some deep dish, spoke designs, advan kind of looking ones, id check them out before anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
aboji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

Good information guys. After reading this I'm not sure if I should change my mind and purchase OEM wheels instead of aftermarket. Michigan roads are horrible and I'm not sure how non-oem's will hold up. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
The Forgestar F14 is a great choice and has been extremely popular and in my honest opinion is one of the best wheels out there right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboji View Post
Good information guys. After reading this I'm not sure if I should change my mind and purchase OEM wheels instead of aftermarket. Michigan roads are horrible and I'm not sure how non-oem's will hold up. Any thoughts?
You definitely want to consider a flow-form wheel such as the Forgestar F14 for it's durability.

You can check out the Official Forgestar F14 Gallery here
Appreciate 0