E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 330i CPO vs independent dealer/private

02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
330i CPO vs independent dealer/private

Hi, New poster and new member here. I have decided that a 2006 330i is the right car for me and after about a week of looking online and visiting a few dealers in the Ottawa market I am at a dead end.

The question: BMW CPO 330i are a good $6k - $8k more expensive than bimmers sold by independent dealers and private sellers. How much is a CPO bimmer really worth it?

As far as I can tell advantages include:

* 360 inspection and repair if required
* maximum 6 year 160,000 warranty
* leasing rates currently at 1.9%

Also any knowledge/experience in how much I can negotiate the price down for CPO bimmers? I was able to get $1900 off but they don't seem to be budging anymore.

Thanks
Trigger

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
Hi,

I know how you feel. I was in the same situation you're going through now. Saw a few decent cars on Autotrader then decide to head down to a BMW dealership to see what they had lying around. There was a 330i that just came in. I asked for the price and the salesman told me he had to check on the computer. It took him a good 10 mins to find out because it just came in and it wasn't even listed on their computers inventory. What he quoted me was a few thousand more than the ones I saw in Autotrader. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up purchasing it. It had 64,000 kms on it which I didn't mind plus it was exactly what I was looking for...black, sports package, premium package and most importantly it was manual. When I picked it up the salesman told me that all 4 rotors and pads were replaced, new front and rear bumper and 2 new rear tires. He assured me that it was never in an accident. With that said, BMW Canada does not buy CPO's from the auction that has been in an accident...even a minor one.

I drive it everyday and it just seems to get better and better. I'd had it for over a year now and not 1 single engine/warning light has come on. The only light that came on was the tire pressure monitor when I punctured the rear tire.

Buying from the dealership gave me piece of mind knowing I have extended coverage of most major parts. On the otherhand, if you buy elsewhere you're on your own once you drive off the lot.

I suggest you go month end and negotiate as they tend to be more lenient and discount deeper to make quota.

Good luck! Keep us all informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhappy View Post
Hi, New poster and new member here. I have decided that a 2006 330i is the right car for me and after about a week of looking online and visiting a few dealers in the Ottawa market I am at a dead end.

The question: BMW CPO 330i are a good $6k - $8k more expensive than bimmers sold by independent dealers and private sellers. How much is a CPO bimmer really worth it?

As far as I can tell advantages include:

* 360 inspection and repair if required
* maximum 6 year 160,000 warranty
* leasing rates currently at 1.9%

Also any knowledge/experience in how much I can negotiate the price down for CPO bimmers? I was able to get $1900 off but they don't seem to be budging anymore.

Thanks
Trigger

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
pdude
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - Prem/MSport/AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Hi,

I know how you feel. I was in the same situation you're going through now. Saw a few decent cars on Autotrader then decide to head down to a BMW dealership to see what they had lying around. There was a 330i that just came in. I asked for the price and the salesman told me he had to check on the computer. It took him a good 10 mins to find out because it just came in and it wasn't even listed on their computers inventory. What he quoted me was a few thousand more than the ones I saw in Autotrader. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up purchasing it. It had 64,000 kms on it which I didn't mind plus it was exactly what I was looking for...black, sports package, premium package and most importantly it was manual. When I picked it up the salesman told me that all 4 rotors and pads were replaced, new front and rear bumper and 2 new rear tires. He assured me that it was never in an accident. With that said, BMW Canada does not buy CPO's from the auction that has been in an accident...even a minor one.

I drive it everyday and it just seems to get better and better. I'd had it for over a year now and not 1 single engine/warning light has come on. The only light that came on was the tire pressure monitor when I punctured the rear tire.

Buying from the dealership gave me piece of mind knowing I have extended coverage of most major parts. On the otherhand, if you buy elsewhere you're on your own once you drive off the lot.

I suggest you go month end and negotiate as they tend to be more lenient and discount deeper to make quota.

+1... Same process here.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Yes I would be happy to pay a couple of thousand more for the peace of mind.. I guess the 6-8k difference is the issue.

Another theory that I have (and it may be a crazy one!) is that with the CPO program it may be better to buy a higher mileage car (e.g. 55-60k) so that after 80k you are still covered by the extended warranty. IF I bought a Bimmer with 30k, because of the 6 years maximum, I would be out of warranty before the car reached 80k and isn't that when things are supposed to start going? What are your thoughts on weather to buy a low mileage vs higher mileage vehicle under CPO?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Yes I would be happy to pay a couple of thousand more for the peace of mind.. I guess the 6-8k difference is the issue.

Another theory that I have (and it may be a crazy one!) is that with the CPO program it may be better to buy a higher mileage car (e.g. 55-60k) so that after 80k you are still covered by the extended warranty. IF I bought a Bimmer with 30k, because of the 6 years maximum, I would be out of warranty before the car reached 80k and isn't that when things are supposed to start going? What are your thoughts on weather to buy a low mileage vs higher mileage vehicle under CPO?

I think CPO goes up to 160k right? Well I can proudly tell you that my car's at 160k, and has had no problems and feels as good as new to me. Only think I can complain about is that the suspension is showing it's age over bumps and potholes.

So, your theory about paying extra for CPO and saving a little money on a higher mileage car is not a bad one, in my opinion. Also, a higher mileage car that has seen a fair amount of highway use / long drives may actually have an engine in better shape than a low mileage car that has seen mostly short drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
aleksl
Dinan 2
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:

I just bought a CPO 325i. 68k on it. While the advertised prices on CPOs are very high there is quite a bit of room to move I found out in negotiations. Still the premium I found was about $3-5k where I live all said and done. To me I would NOT buy a german car without any warranty. That combined with 1.9% interest rate and road side assist sold me on a CPO car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechUT View Post
I think CPO goes up to 160k right? Well I can proudly tell you that my car's at 160k, and has had no problems and feels as good as new to me. Only think I can complain about is that the suspension is showing it's age over bumps and potholes.

So, your theory about paying extra for CPO and saving a little money on a higher mileage car is not a bad one, in my opinion. Also, a higher mileage car that has seen a fair amount of highway use / long drives may actually have an engine in better shape than a low mileage car that has seen mostly short drives.
Sorry, yes you are right, the mileage allowance is extended to 160k for CPOs. But the major limiting factor is still the addition of only 2 extra years plus the balance of the original 4 year warranty...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

For myself, the CPO price difference is less justifiable as you approach 6 years.

This time back in 2008, that $6K extra would buy you 4 years of B2B warranty.
Now, it's still $6k but you're only covered for 2 more years.

I've always thought the dealers should get closer to street prices as they near the end of the CPO coverage. Maybe there's a reason they do not.
      02-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
shipill
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Macan S

BMW CPO list prices are a rip-off !!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

When I was looking for a car i thought the CPO was the way to go. I found one that had been sitting at the dealer for over a month and they reduced the price by 4k. Still there were cars with less milage for less money in the autotrader. I ended up going weith the CPO for peice of mind but after recently having trouble getting them to replace my battery (only 1 month after purchase) becasue the battery was not covered under warrenty. After discussing it they finally agreed to replace my battery at no charge, saving me $400. A month later the wire harness in the trunk had broken a few wires at the flexible joint peice (where wires go from car to trunk lid) And to my surprise i was told that it was not covered under warrenty and would be $500. If you take a look at the extended warrenty there are so many omissions that thre is very few things covered at all (engine valves and piston rings are not covered, so if it starts burning oil, too bad) If i could do it again i would buy private, spend a couple hundred and have it inspected at bmw, then buy AMA for roadside assistance and pocket the 5k you save.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
mathu.bala
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i/6mt

Garage List
2009 LCI 323i  [0.00]
If you are buying used...I would buy it private. But of course you need to put some time into it to make sure it's clean. Get your family mechanic to see the car to make sure things are good to go. Get carproof and all records of services. CPO warranty doesn't include scheduled maintenance therefore it doesn't justify the extra $5k IMO. Also German cars are solid, shouldn't give you problem for atleast 300k. Also now is the best time to buy used since BMWs are cheaper in winter. Good luck.
      02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
If you take a look at the extended warrenty there are so many omissions that thre is very few things covered at all (engine valves and piston rings are not covered, so if it starts burning oil, too bad) .
That is the problem with the CPO brochure, it lists off three pages of what is covered, but (unless I am mistaken) doesn't mention what it isn't.

Some good advice guys thanks! At this point I am thinking of buying private just because the price diferrence is so great. But I will be sure to take it to a respected local BMW mechanic (not a dealer!) for a full inspection to make sure I won't need to replace everything after a couple of months.

If I don't go private I will probably shop in TO as the prices are lower and better selection. Having said that If I can talk the BMW guys down another $2Gs...

Jeremy
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu.bala View Post
Also German cars are solid, shouldn't give you problem for atleast 300k.
Funniest thing I've read all day. You have obviously not owned a BMW for long.

The price differential is nuts - I'd go for the private dealer car over a CPO if that is the true differential in price. Find a good independent and you should be ahead of the game when it comes time to sell your car.

I would not say that about the 335. Get a warranty for that model for sure. Those turbos and HPFPs, wastegates, etc., are not cheap. The 330 engine wise seems fairly stout.

But at the end of the day, it's all about risk. Sometimes you'll win; sometimes you'll lose. If you get a car with a bad transmission (known on the early model E46s), then you'll get the short end of the stick. And it's gonna be un-lubed...
      02-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Get those "lifetime" fluids changed if you do pick up the car.
      02-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for all the advice - got '0' responses on the bimmerforum and looks like this is the forum to be in.

Forget the CPO route, I am leaning towards buying a 330i sports+premium package, 75K through a private sale. rear wheels need replacing, but other than that the car is in nice shape. includes a set of winter tires wants $25k.

Is this a fair price? I was thinking about offering $24k to off set the cost of getting new rears. thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
09e90M3
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; MK5 Supra

Make sure to do a carfax or carproof, carproof being preferable as it is Canadian based. When I was looking at some 330's I found some that had been in accidents that were not disclosed by the seller.

Also it might be worthwhile to take a car you are serious about to an actual BMW dealer as I am not too sure how many private shops in your area have a proper scanner for these cars. Furthermore on the e90s they store codes and mileage on the key as well, this is read by a service advisor as soon as you sit down with them, the importance of this lies in the fact that they could potentially see if mileage has been turned back and the mechanics can see if the vehicle has had any big fault codes.

Good luck and try and find one that has service records.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu.bala View Post
If you are buying used...I would buy it private. But of course you need to put some time into it to make sure it's clean. Get your family mechanic to see the car to make sure things are good to go. Get carproof and all records of services. CPO warranty doesn't include scheduled maintenance therefore it doesn't justify the extra $5k IMO. Also German cars are solid, shouldn't give you problem for atleast 300k. Also now is the best time to buy used since BMWs are cheaper in winter. Good luck.
You smokin' rocks son!?

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

Quote:
Hi,

When I picked it up the salesman told me that all 4 rotors and pads were replaced, new front and rear bumper and 2 new rear tires. He assured me that it was never in an accident. With that said, BMW Canada does not buy CPO's from the auction that has been in an accident...even a minor one.
If the car never been in accident then why they put on new front & rear bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
Funniest thing I've read all day. You have obviously not owned a BMW for long.
Only funniest thing for the day??? wasn't funniest thing of the year! or even for my whole life! My car is in the shop now because of the limp mode again.
      02-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
One128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i (sold), 06' MX-5

We bought a CPO 330i a week ago, and it gave us peace of mind. Its our first German car, so we didn't want to take any risks.

I do believe margins are high for CPO cars...we got $4k off ours. Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
Triggerhappy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wanted to give an update on the Dealer negotiations. If anybody is interested in purchasing a CPO Bimmer the information may be useful.

The dealer called me back on Wednesday asking if I was still interested based on the price of 32,800. I told him that I didn't think that was a fair price based on a number of factors. And that I wasn't interested unless they could come down to 30K. The sales person said he would get back to me and called me today. I am not sure if they would have gone lower but 30 was flat out refused as they would be losing money. He did mention that they could look for a car that would meet my price, mileage (around 60K I think is a good mileage for a CPO bimmer) requirements through the BMW CPO weekly auction and maybe find something for around 29k.

May not be of much use for potential buyers in the big smoke but could be udeful information for people looking in smaller markets....

As for me I am going the private route if the seller accepts my offer. And yes I will be taking it to a Bimmer dealership to have it inspected as a condition of purchase and then I will cross my fingers...

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #21
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Honestly, I would probably be comfortable purchasing a non CPO BMW as long as I purchased the BMW straight from a BMW dealership. I don't trust those independent dealers anymore.
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #22
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

I'm currently looking for a CPO too.

Just waiting for the right one to come up!
Appreciate 0