Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Which Tire would you use for a HPDE

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
mrCBR600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Which Tire would you use for a HPDE

So I have the stock Runflast on there now, almost brand new. Or I have some almost brand new Continental Contisportcontact3's I could run. Which one would be the better performer?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I don't know about your stock runflats, but I have heard the contisport 3 are decent tires that although don't have the grip of michelin pilot sport 2s, they are very communicative and when they start breaking away you can pull them into a gradual slide, whereas a tire like the MPS has more grip, but break out very abruptly & can be scary if you're not ready for it because of this. I would probably be using the Contis rather than stock runflat.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
mrCBR600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

ttt
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

i dont have any experience with contisport 3's, but people dont give the runflats enough credit. I've tracked on the stock runflats before, and the super stiff sidewall (due to the tires being runflats) actually makes it very predictable at the limit. I'd rather track on stock runflats then lets say, Toyo T1rs, fk452's etc etc. But it does lack in the all out grip department (as expected).
      02-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

^^.....stiff sidewalls, no grip. i tracked on them once and nearly crashed, and im pretty seasoned. big no no. the ps2's and believe it or not the nittos have performed excellent on the track.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
^^.....stiff sidewalls, no grip. i tracked on them once and nearly crashed, and im pretty seasoned. big no no. the ps2's and believe it or not the nittos have performed excellent on the track.
Dont get me wrong, the runflats are no where close to AD08's, NT05's, star specs, etc etc, but they still arent as bad as some make it out to seem. I was recently forced to attend a track day on my street tires (Nitto Invos) due to a blowout on my track set (NT05's) and it was down right scary. i would have GLADLY tracked on the stock runflats then the apparently more "performance oriented" invos.

i am by no means a "seasoned track vet" like alot of the guys on here, just a weekend track junkie. Take what i say with a grain of salt. YMMV.