Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Switching to non-RFT...Can I use the old RFT as a spare?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
LadyBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Switching to non-RFT...Can I use the old RFT as a spare?

Hey guys, I'm finally getting rid of the run-flats and switching to normal tires. I was wondering if I could use one of the old tires (Bridgestone Turanza EL42) as a spare tire. I don't know how to change tires anyway (I have AAA), so I was thinking of buying a tire repair kit for driving around the city and only having the full-size spare with me for long trips. Does this sound like a good idea?

I would need to buy a new rim for the spare. Should I buy a used one from a junkyard or a new one that's cheap and lightweight? Town Fair Tire says they can sell me one for $70-100. Is there anything else i would need to buy?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

sure, why not? I used a winter tire on a smaller rim for a while as a spare on my E36 -- had to use it once and no big deal. If you had a donut, the profile and traction would be more different from your normal tires than the runflat will. Only problem on trips is the space it will take in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Ill be using my front RFT as a spare.