E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMS PBX on E90 330i 6spd

02-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
BMS PBX on E90 330i 6spd

After reading all the posts about the PBX by BMS, I'm finally ready to meet up with Mike and have it installed...hopefully tomorrow, if not Thursday for sure. I'm also planning on getting my car dynoed to see if there are any gains. I'll be posting up my dyno sheets (regardless of results) for all those 330i drivers sitting on fence contemplating the PBX.

Questions. I live in Scarborough...does anyone know of any dyno shops in the area? Should I dyno with just the PBX or should I get a baseline pull with my AFE intake installed?

Comments and suggestions please.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
teamadobo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i Xdrive

http://www.khrad.com/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!

I'll go and do a baseline tomorrow then another with my AFE. I'll post up all the dyno sheets:

1. Baseline (stock)
2. With AFE intake
3. With AFE and PBX
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB6UB9ok View Post
Thanks!

I'll go and do a baseline tomorrow then another with my AFE. I'll post up all the dyno sheets:

1. Baseline (stock)
2. With AFE intake
3. With AFE and PBX
Very cool of you. I guess we'll find out soon enough - I can't tell from their website if it's a DynoJet or something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Slight change of plans. I couldn't wait any longer so I installed the AFE intake today. All I can say is, the car sounds repulsive! What a noise! Throttle response seems a bit better and the revs climb just a tad quicker. Mind you, this is all probably coming from my butt dyno. Scheduled to meet up with Mike Thursday evening to install the PBX. If things go smooth, I'll be doing my dyno this Friday.

Will post dyno sheets once it's done.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Call KHRad today and it's $65 for 3 pulls on a Dynojet. Will do this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
any updates?
      02-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
SocalMike
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 6spd/spts pbx/af scooped

not repulsive

I got the pbx for my 330i
yohoo... such fun

then i got the bug and put in an afe intake
repulsive
nah.
kewl throaty sound

i like it

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Sorry about the delays. Made arrangements with Mike@n54tuning for tomorrow to install. Dyno will be on the following day (Saturday). I'll post dyno sheets once I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Haha...I meant that in a good way. It sounds extremely nice around 3,000rpm or just about whenever you blip the throttle :-)

Next mod...BMW Performance Exhaust. That should really put a smile on my face.

SocalMike, what else have you done? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalMike View Post
I got the pbx for my 330i
yohoo... such fun

then i got the bug and put in an afe intake
repulsive
nah.
kewl throaty sound

i like it

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Finally cleared my schedule for tomorrow to meet Mike and have this installed. I look forward to seeing what this thing does for my car. Question for all those that have this installed (323's, 325's, 328's, 330's). Did you notice it getting better as time/kms go by? I heard that it takes some time for the ECU to "adapt" to it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
After weeks if not months of delay and everchanging work schedules, I finally met up with Mike to install my PBX. Here are my findings so far.

I was amazed how quickly Mike installed the PBX. From opening the hood to starting the car up for potential CEL's, it only took around 20mins. Mike asked me to rev it a bit and before he could say "the throttle response is faster now" I knew right then things were only going to get better from here. All along I thought the throttle response in my car was pretty quick, but when I revved it after the install the needle just shot up. I said to myself "holy". We then closed the hood, paid Mike and I was on my way back to Scarborough. I took it easy on Mike's street not knowing what to expect. The biggest thing I noticed was how sensitive the throttle was at even the slightest input. Starting off in first gear from rest was so different. The clutch and throttle modulation was awkward. The usual first gear take off in which I'm accustomed to had to learnt all over again. With the PBX installed (on map 3) seemed like I was riding the clutch but in fact I wasn't because the revs climbed so quickly. Unlucky for me, I was stuck in bumper to bumper Friday evening rushhour traffic all the way back. No chance to get out of 3rd at all. Driving all that way home in bumper to bumper traffic reminded me of what it was like the first time I learned to drive manual. Every stop and go sounded like I was a beginner manual driver and easing out the clutch too late. To make a long story short, the difference is highly noticeable. As for power...wow! I wasn't expecting it to pull that hard when I pushed down on the throttle. First gear is quick. Found myself having to upshift much sooner. I usually shift at around 3,000 - 3,200rpm. I notice now that I'm shifting at over 3,500rpm because the revs climb so quickly. Every gear feels stronger. The car seems to just go so effortlessly. Torque is noticeable too. It seems to pull harder and stronger. At one point I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 80kph in an area in which I go 60kph. I also noticed that engine braking is more abrupt...to the point that it gets jerky. The revs fall quicker too. After dinner I decided to go for a drive...I ended up driving 80kms around Scarborough haha.

I am a true believer now. Although this initial feedback is from my butt dyno, I can definitely say this thing works! Words to describe the PBX (as others have also said)..."makes the car feel lighter, transforms the car". The earliest I can get this dynoed will be next Tuesday. For sure I'll update this thread with dyno sheets :-)

Once again thanks Mike!!! For those who haven't picked one up yet...Get one now...you're missing out on what I think is the best mod for our car.

Oh...if you're still here, sorry for the long write-up. Gotta go now...I wanna really rip it now. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
. Every stop and go sounded like I was a beginner manual driver and easing out the clutch too late.
Oh...if you're still here, sorry for the long write-up. Gotta go now...I wanna really rip it now. ;-)
Maybe you should try the CDV delete from Mike too!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
nice review. Every review makes me wanna get it. Again, the only thing that's stopping me is that there almost no hp gain with that chip. Keep asking myself whats the point? i have a 328i. Good thing i get to test it march 6 and see for myself how it is. If everyone says good things about this chip then how good is the chip for a TT engine? must be insane
      02-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Are you serious? He's got that too? That's one of the things I've been meaning to get done for a long time but keep putting it off for some reason.

Gonna send him an SMS now.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluZero View Post
Maybe you should try the CDV delete from Mike too!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks OwnAge.

You've got nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can get you money back. Dyno sheets have been posted for 328 and 330.

Just do it. Trust me, you won't regret it.

As for the "chip" for the 335...just ask Mike how much he's putting out at the wheels :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnAge View Post
nice review. Every review makes me wanna get it. Again, the only thing that's stopping me is that there almost no hp gain with that chip. Keep asking myself whats the point? i have a 328i. Good thing i get to test it march 6 and see for myself how it is. If everyone says good things about this chip then how good is the chip for a TT engine? must be insane
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
thatsosm
Miracle Whip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 AW335i

so where is that DYNO ?
      02-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
It's going to have to be next Tuesday as it's a holiday here on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexosma View Post
so where is that DYNO ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Duhst
That Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e90

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
im in for dyno results!
      02-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
After weeks if not months of delay and everchanging work schedules, I finally met up with Mike to install my PBX. Here are my findings so far.

I was amazed how quickly Mike installed the PBX. From opening the hood to starting the car up for potential CEL's, it only took around 20mins. Mike asked me to rev it a bit and before he could say "the throttle response is faster now" I knew right then things were only going to get better from here. All along I thought the throttle response in my car was pretty quick, but when I revved it after the install the needle just shot up. I said to myself "holy". We then closed the hood, paid Mike and I was on my way back to Scarborough. I took it easy on Mike's street not knowing what to expect. The biggest thing I noticed was how sensitive the throttle was at even the slightest input. Starting off in first gear from rest was so different. The clutch and throttle modulation was awkward. The usual first gear take off in which I'm accustomed to had to learnt all over again. With the PBX installed (on map 3) seemed like I was riding the clutch but in fact I wasn't because the revs climbed so quickly. Unlucky for me, I was stuck in bumper to bumper Friday evening rushhour traffic all the way back. No chance to get out of 3rd at all. Driving all that way home in bumper to bumper traffic reminded me of what it was like the first time I learned to drive manual. Every stop and go sounded like I was a beginner manual driver and easing out the clutch too late. To make a long story short, the difference is highly noticeable. As for power...wow! I wasn't expecting it to pull that hard when I pushed down on the throttle. First gear is quick. Found myself having to upshift much sooner. I usually shift at around 3,000 - 3,200rpm. I notice now that I'm shifting at over 3,500rpm because the revs climb so quickly. Every gear feels stronger. The car seems to just go so effortlessly. Torque is noticeable too. It seems to pull harder and stronger. At one point I looked down at the speedo and I was doing 80kph in an area in which I go 60kph. I also noticed that engine braking is more abrupt...to the point that it gets jerky. The revs fall quicker too. After dinner I decided to go for a drive...I ended up driving 80kms around Scarborough haha.

I am a true believer now. Although this initial feedback is from my butt dyno, I can definitely say this thing works! Words to describe the PBX (as others have also said)..."makes the car feel lighter, transforms the car". The earliest I can get this dynoed will be next Tuesday. For sure I'll update this thread with dyno sheets :-)

Once again thanks Mike!!! For those who haven't picked one up yet...Get one now...you're missing out on what I think is the best mod for our car.

Thanks for the review, and I am glad you are enjoying the tune. Can't wait to see your dyno results.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you serious? He's got that too? That's one of the things I've been meaning to get done for a long time but keep putting it off for some reason.

Gonna send him an SMS now.

Thanks.
According to his web site, he does. If I'm able to make it the DynoBBQ(tm) I hope to get one from him too. I'm sure he keeps a bunch in his trunk for more rear-end traction
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's going to have to be next Tuesday as it's a holiday here on Monday.
Sitting on the edge of my seat is making my ButtDyno numb.....