E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d E92 Coupe aftermarket exhaust sounds

01-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
davidfo
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Coupe

335d E92 Coupe aftermarket exhaust sounds

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of having an aftermarket exhaust fitted to a 335d E92 Coupe?

Just wondering if it is worth considering, looking for a bit more noise, not too much, just a nice rumble at tickover and a bit more noise when accelerating, without being intrusive and resonating if that is possibe!

Got one quote from MIJPerformance:

The dual exit back boxes in stainless steel you've requested for your BMW 335D Coupe will cost £194.99 each this is fully inclusive of fuel discount (£25), vat & fitting. I've included 2 x twin round tailpipes in the quotation, you can choose an alternative or upgrade (various twin tailpipes etc.) from our extensive range of 40 tailpipes if you wish.

We carry all the necessary parts needed to build your exhaust system instore, so it should take no longer than 2 - 3 hrs to build. As your system will be custom built, you can tell us how you would like it sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. Our most popular choice is a Mid-Sport, this gives the best of both worlds, not intrusive but achieves the sporty sound you want from your car upon applying the throttle.

This is the only diesel I have owned, any thoughts, is it is worth considering with a diesel and anyone out there who has done this and has sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

just a thought

i think the exhaust on the 335d was tuned to keep the car civil sounding, not "rackety" like diesel are traditionally ..

any addition/subtraction may affect the overall sound of the car, but I could be way off base.. i rather have a diesel that sounds like a car, rather than a small truck .. but what do i know
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
davidfo
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Coupe

Sound

Only had big engine petrols and smaller turbo petrol's before, just wasn't too sure about the change on a diesel, but this makes sense.

Just curious if an aftermarket would give it a bit more sound, but 335d sounds great as is to be honest

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
SIEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

I would leave it be... but you'll have more luck over on the UK forum, sure I remember someone changing theirs. Speedreligion (now gone) used to do one and the manufacturer where they got them from was posted somewhere over there... I'll have a look.

ETA: Not found much but check out the following quote from the greatly knowledgable E92Fan... this is for a European car, so not sure if the urea injection would interfere with a replacement DP back exhaust (FYI: DPF is the diesel particulate filter found in the downpipes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92FAN
I wouldn't touch the DPF at all - yes, it increase back pressure on the turbos, but the benefits it gives vastly outweighs the downside. The amount of soot that will come out of the back of your car without the DPF will be unimaginable. Plus you'll almost certainly fail any MOT in the future.

Far better to replace the exhaust post downpipes to free up the residual back pressure. And Jules is right - 350bhp is the MAX you really want to consider. Getting to 370bhp will require much more than a remap - the fuel rail pressure will be so high to get the right balance that it will be touch and go whether it can withstand the flow rate. Also you'll then have issues with cooling and longterm reliability. Minimum you would need a new oil cooler, uprated intercooler etc etc... Whilst the majority of parts can be taken from the basis of a 335i, I'm not sure whether you want to be the guinea pig for that...!

Last edited by SIEN; 01-27-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0