E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB3 2.0 Beta and Procede V4 personal review!

01-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Thumbs up JB3 2.0 Beta and Procede V4 personal review!

It seems like I may be one of the few that has had the opportunity to run most of these tunes with the newer beta software on 1 car. I know a few members have been asking my opinions/ feedback on the tunes, pros cons etc so I figured I’d post up and give MY thoughts on them.
I been running procede since day 1 of my car. V1.47 and onwards. It’s been good to me so kept with it. A little while back (Sept) my car kept having major misfires with it once I upgraded to the newer maps (9-9 and onwards). Now do keep in mind that it is pretty tough to troubleshoot problems over the phone. I’m in the Technology industry so I KNOW THIS. Tried pretty much everything I could think of and it just kept happening. Decided to buy JB3. Talked to Mike, and had his send it out. Great service. Fast and efficient. Got JB3 v1.4 R84 and threw her in. Misfires were gone, car ran nice and strong.

1.4 was overall very nice but had some issues. I found that it was a bit laggy (Map 7) in the mid range. When running balls out, it runs AWESOME but my issue was that I ran mostly between 1800 – 3000 rpm with traffic so it wasn’t as nice. (BUT no misfires) It was as many people have stated, ‘RAW’ in it’s delivery but simple and to the point.
Talked to Terry, got on the JB3 2.0 beta program. Again, Terry was great to deal with. Friendly and informative. Swapped out my system for the 18ohm setup, loaded up the maps and ran the car.

JB3- feedback. JB3 2.0 is way way smoother than 1.4. Nice, smooth and strong. I ran map 7 again and the car felt great. Balls out, again, car ran crazy! Again, though heads above v 1.4, it was still laggy in the mid range. The response is better but I can’t say it’s night and day, for a lack of words. It’s a better refined version of 1.4. (Which has proven itself, I know). I still didn't like the gas pedal map switch. Also, not know for sure what map I was running. I'd want confirmation so Rixster gauge would be a necessity for me

Got the beta map from Shiv for V4 auto. Was a bit skeptical as I had many previous issues with my car and procede ‘not getting along’. Loaded up the map and gave her a run. I was soo skeptical, that I didn’t bother bolting up the engine compartments in case I had to take it out right away.

Procede-feedback. V4 transformed the way the car drove! The misfire issues were gone. No issues there anymore. Overall feel, very smooth. It was even smoother than JB3 2.0! At gear changes in DS mode, the car lunges forward ready to prance onwards. It felt very natural running the tune. I had loaded up the publicly released beta which was a stage 1 map. As such, this was not as powerful as the JB3 2.0 Map 7. I emailed Shiv to let him know and he sent me out the stage 3 map for my modifications. (will list later on). CRAZY!! The car just takes off. I let a few of my friends drive. They have driven my car from the days of V1.47 and were amazed at the car. JB3 1.4 to this would not be a fair comparison. JB3 2.0, though very nice, didn’t feel the same either. The power range, delivery, drivability, and overall smoothness were exceptional. The power band is everywhere. Power aside..( ) the on dash map switching was a nice feature again. I switched over from Stage 3 to Stage 4 on the fly and the car just flies! The extra safety features like oil temp protection etc was also, a nice feature.
As tunes are a personal choice, everybody has their own perspectives and what’s important to them. Myself, owning both (and yes, I bought both at full retail), I wanted to try them both and in my eyes, see which suited better for my car and my habits. At this point, I’d say Procede V4 takes the cake! As time goes on, I will continue to see development in both camps. It’s great to see such advancements on the tunes.

My Mods:
Stett Fmic
BMS DCI
Stett Charge pipe with Forge DV
CP-E Catted Downpipes
CP-E resonated mid-pipes
Bastuck Axle back
McKinney Catch Can

Snow Stage 3 Meth Kit (waiting to be installed)

If anybody between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, Canada wants to feel how the car drives, PM me and we can meet up. You can compare the feel and make your own decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

great write-up! it's nice to hear from someone who has really tried out multiple versions of each piggy on their own car.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Nice! V4 is getting great reviews so far... this just adds to that! Awesome review, and thanks for the comparison...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Good review. LMK the next time you're near the outlet malls lol

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interesting read, but really it is pointless.

2.0 is in beta for less than a month i think, and is still getting new updates and refinments every week.

V4 is also in beta form aswell and still getting fine tuned.

So until they are both in final versions this review is good for today, as tomrrow the tuning might change on both and the view might change.

JMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
Interesting read, but really it is pointless.

2.0 is in beta for less than a month i think, and is still getting new updates and refinments every week.

V4 is also in beta form aswell and still getting fine tuned.

So until they are both in final versions this review is good for today, as tomrrow the tuning might change on both and the view might change.

JMHO.
..and new maps and updates come out all the time even when things are out of beta testing, is there never a good time to compare them? right now both camps are saying the current available stuff is top notch. seems ok to compare them IMO.

few people will have the chance to run both on the same car, so the insight is useful, As both are refined more the OP can do another write up. It would be interesting to see his feelings when everything is in it's "final" release form
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I had my 1st taste of v4 on a xi e92 today, installed the procede, loaded stage I and we went off. He's never had a tune on his car and he was pretty damned impressed it seemed. Even w/ 400lbs of extra weight in the car (2 passengers) it was very smooth, very seamless, and FAST. 65-100 in 3rd took no time.

these tunes just get better and better for you guys, you all should be happy!!
      01-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
..and new maps and updates come out all the time even when things are out of beta testing, is there never a good time to compare them? right now both camps are saying the current available stuff is top notch. seems ok to compare them IMO

I see where you are coming from, but from what i have seen once the JB3 1.4 was final it didnt really make any revisions after that.Didnt keep up with the V3.

BETA has to mean something doesnt it? I see both camps making changes to there tunes.

I will wait to test them both when they are in there final form.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
twinship
Booosted
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
..and new maps and updates come out all the time even when things are out of beta testing, is there never a good time to compare them? right now both camps are saying the current available stuff is top notch. seems ok to compare them IMO
+1

I'd also be interested in hearing a comparison from someone with a less modded car.

My plan is to remain pretty close to stock, but with a tune...
2008 BMW 335i//Jet Black on Black Dakota Leather//Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, Logic7 Sound, Aluminum Trim, iPOD & USB, Cobb S1+ Sport, ER FMIC, ER CP, K&N Filter, H&R Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, ECS Tuning spacers (F-10mm/R-15mm), Akebono pads, OEM Rear Aero Spoiler, OEM Sport Diffusor, Cyba 3.8" Tips, OEM Aluminum Pedals, M-tech Steering Wheel, Clear Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the review! Its unbiased reviews like this that make it great!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
I see where you are coming from, but from what i have seen once the JB3 1.4 was final it didnt really make any revisions after that.Didnt keep up with the V3.

BETA has to mean something doesnt it? I see both camps making changes to there tunes.

I will wait to test them both when they are in there final form.
fair enough
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

I love the competition. Makes both parties work hard to improve their products.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
Wonka
Racer 5
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I had my 1st taste of v4 on a xi e92 today, installed the procede, loaded stage I and we went off. He's never had a tune on his car and he was pretty damned impressed it seemed. Even w/ 400lbs of extra weight in the car (2 passengers) it was very smooth, very seamless, and FAST. 65-100 in 3rd took no time.

these tunes just get better and better for you guys, you all should be happy!!
You can say that I was impressed. The early review would be that its a perfect extension of the car's capabilities. Its smooth during average acceleration but when the pedal's down, its a bullet.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Thanks for the review!

The focus with 2.0 so far has been on overall control. As a result the improved response and smoothness vs. 1.4 has come with almost identical settings. Once the control is 100% tested they plan to increase the midrange prespool, top end boost, etc. These will all ultimately all be user adjustable.

On the map switching, if you want visual confirmation aside from laptop interface, a $2 switch in the glove box (same way you route the USB) does wonders and gives you access and confirmation on 3 maps. No need to buy a P3 gauge just to have a map switch, although it is a great external boost gauge. Also you can set the map in the interface and disable the gas pedal switching all together so it stays locked on map 7 for example.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
It seems like I may be one of the few that has had the opportunity to run most of these tunes with the newer beta software on 1 car. I know a few members have been asking my opinions/ feedback on the tunes, pros cons etc so I figured I’d post up and give MY thoughts on them.
I been running procede since day 1 of my car. V1.47 and onwards. It’s been good to me so kept with it. A little while back (Sept) my car kept having major misfires with it once I upgraded to the newer maps (9-9 and onwards). Now do keep in mind that it is pretty tough to troubleshoot problems over the phone. I’m in the Technology industry so I KNOW THIS. Tried pretty much everything I could think of and it just kept happening. Decided to buy JB3. Talked to Mike, and had his send it out. Great service. Fast and efficient. Got JB3 v1.4 R84 and threw her in. Misfires were gone, car ran nice and strong.

1.4 was overall very nice but had some issues. I found that it was a bit laggy (Map 7) in the mid range. When running balls out, it runs AWESOME but my issue was that I ran mostly between 1800 – 3000 rpm with traffic so it wasn’t as nice. (BUT no misfires) It was as many people have stated, ‘RAW’ in it’s delivery but simple and to the point.
Talked to Terry, got on the JB3 2.0 beta program. Again, Terry was great to deal with. Friendly and informative. Swapped out my system for the 18ohm setup, loaded up the maps and ran the car.

JB3- feedback. JB3 2.0 is way way smoother than 1.4. Nice, smooth and strong. I ran map 7 again and the car felt great. Balls out, again, car ran crazy! Again, though heads above v 1.4, it was still laggy in the mid range. The response is better but I can’t say it’s night and day, for a lack of words. It’s a better refined version of 1.4. (Which has proven itself, I know). I still didn't like the gas pedal map switch. Also, not know for sure what map I was running. I'd want confirmation so Rixster gauge would be a necessity for me

Got the beta map from Shiv for V4 auto. Was a bit skeptical as I had many previous issues with my car and procede ‘not getting along’. Loaded up the map and gave her a run. I was soo skeptical, that I didn’t bother bolting up the engine compartments in case I had to take it out right away.

Procede-feedback. V4 transformed the way the car drove! The misfire issues were gone. No issues there anymore. Overall feel, very smooth. It was even smoother than JB3 2.0! At gear changes in DS mode, the car lunges forward ready to prance onwards. It felt very natural running the tune. I had loaded up the publicly released beta which was a stage 1 map. As such, this was not as powerful as the JB3 2.0 Map 7. I emailed Shiv to let him know and he sent me out the stage 3 map for my modifications. (will list later on). CRAZY!! The car just takes off. I let a few of my friends drive. They have driven my car from the days of V1.47 and were amazed at the car. JB3 1.4 to this would not be a fair comparison. JB3 2.0, though very nice, didn’t feel the same either. The power range, delivery, drivability, and overall smoothness were exceptional. The power band is everywhere. Power aside..( ) the on dash map switching was a nice feature again. I switched over from Stage 3 to Stage 4 on the fly and the car just flies! The extra safety features like oil temp protection etc was also, a nice feature.
As tunes are a personal choice, everybody has their own perspectives and what’s important to them. Myself, owning both (and yes, I bought both at full retail), I wanted to try them both and in my eyes, see which suited better for my car and my habits. At this point, I’d say Procede V4 takes the cake! As time goes on, I will continue to see development in both camps. It’s great to see such advancements on the tunes.

My Mods:
Stett Fmic
BMS DCI
Stett Charge pipe with Forge DV
CP-E Catted Downpipes
CP-E resonated mid-pipes
Bastuck Axle back
McKinney Catch Can

Snow Stage 3 Meth Kit (waiting to be installed)

If anybody between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, Canada wants to feel how the car drives, PM me and we can meet up. You can compare the feel and make your own decision.
Great review...I am glad your car is liking the V4...I didn't know that the DTC button was even functionable.....I have tried to go to different maps via DTC and it doesn't work? How did you get this feature to work??
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Brad427435
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 Monaco Blue

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the detailed comparison and review of both beta level tunes.

I'm planning on buying one of them (my E92 is 100% stock at the moment) in a month or so, and it's very hard to decide, because they both sound fantastic.

I'm more interested in the low and mid range response, than flat out speed (although more of both is better), and your review really covered that issue well.

Now it's just a question of buying one, or buying/trying both and (maybe) sending one back!

Please continue to post updates. I'm really interested in the potential drive-ability of the JB3 2.0 as in improves.

About how long does it take you to swap from one piggyback to the other?

Thanks again for a great review.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #17
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

cn, at one point the closed beta versions had multiple stages to switch between.

map 1: stage 1 / map 2: stage 2

or..

map 1: stage 2 / map 2: stage 3

or

map 1: stage 3 / map 2: stage 4
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

both have money back gaurentees. try em both and choose what fits you best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad427435 View Post
Thanks for the detailed comparison and review
of both beta level tunes.

I'm planning on buying one of them (my E92 is 100% stock at the moment) in a month or so, and it's very hard to decide, because they both sound fantastic.

I'm more interested in the low and mid range response, than flat out speed (although more of both is better), and your review really covered that issue well.

Now it's just a question of buying one, or buying/trying both and (maybe) sending one back!

Please continue to post updates. I'm really interested in the potential drive-ability of the JB3 2.0 as in improves.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #19
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad427435 View Post
Thanks for the detailed comparison and review of both beta level tunes.

i hate to say it but the procede has seriously started to separate itself from the pack over the past several months. the procede has always offered timing offset that the jb3 does not - but the fact that the procede now has access to the canbus truly separates it.

the real world - day to day - performance, reliability, and consistency that the procede offers can only be understood by experiencing it first hand.

this is coming from a guy who has had both tunes, and was set on switching to a flash....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

As someone else said, the real winner here is the consumer
      01-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
i hate to say it but the procede has seriously started to separate itself from the pack over the past several months. the procede has always offered timing offset that the jb3 does not - but the fact that the procede now has access to the canbus truly separates it.

the real world - day to day - performance, reliability, and consistency that the procede offers can only be understood by experiencing it first hand.

this is coming from a guy who has had both tunes, and was set on switching to a flash....
Which JB3 2.0 beta map did you try last? It's really a whole new ball game now...

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I was fortunate enough to try the 2.0 in my car and my thoughts were the same as the op. 2.0 is definitely an improvement to the previous gen JB3 but since i tried v4, It was a whole different story. The v4 drivability is something to that really needs to be felt and after the latest map shiv sent me this morning, so is the top end power!

But like others have said, Both have a money back guarantee and trying them both for yourself is the best way to decide.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0