E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335xi: Exhaust/DP/FMIC Suggestions for Biggest Gains

01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

335xi: Exhaust/DP/FMIC Suggestions for Biggest Gains

Hey folks,

There's a wealth of information available on these forums regarding mods, but some searching has shown me that most people tend to give opinions rather than facts when asked which product to purchase.

I'm looking for a quick answer to the following question: which exhaust/DP/FMIC combo will give me the biggest gains in HP/tq? These mods will be installed on my 2008 335xi with PROcede v4. I'm much less concerned about the sound of the exhaust than I am with its weight and power benefits. Accordingly, I'm also much more concerned about the efficiency of a FMIC than the looks. Price is no object, but I cringe at the thought of paying a lot for a name. Function over form... that's IT!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

you'll get lots of different responses.

exhaust: AE Catless Exhaust
downpipes: AR makes the only 3" XI downpipes (i'm switching to them in the summer)
fmic: there are a number of good options, I personally love my AMS unit

combined with v4, you're gonna love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post

downpipes: AR makes the only 3" XI downpipes (i'm switching to them in the summer)

+1 on those suggestions.. I would add the HELIX to the FMIC choices as well.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Donald-335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Hoes Crazy!

ARDesign DP's
AE Exhaust
Helix/Evolution Racewerks FMIC
jb3 2.0 / PROcede V4
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Well most people are just going to list what they have. I think the only proven fact is that DP's which are mostly 3" in diameter have shown better dyno gains than the 2.5" DP's. I don't think there is much difference in power for exhausts, but I know some are lighter than others. Actually I think the Vanguard might be one of the lighter dual exhausts out there and it seems to do fine with power and sound. I believe HKS still claims the most power on a dyno (on a stock car). AMS has a single midpipe on their exhaust so I would assume it is pretty light as well but I don't know for sure. Some of the smaller FMIC's might be what you need if you want to stay efficient and lightweight.

I personally chose the AMS FMIC because it has cast end tanks (lighter design) which flow smoothly without any "corners or edges" and it is very light/efficient for it's size. I believe AMS said it is good for 550 RWHP which is more than you will ever get on stock turbo's/housings.

If I had to make a list, I personally would get:

AMS FMIC
AE/HKS/Vanguard Exhaust
Macht Snell or AR 3" DP's coated

-no cats anywhere on car
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

macht snell doesn't make XI downpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

AMS FMIC
AE/HKS/Vanguard Exhaust

-no cats anywhere on car
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
what about the stett FMCI ? i think that ones good for 600+ hp ?
      01-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhite1015 View Post
what about the stett FMCI ? i think that ones good for 600+ hp ?
He said lightweight and lowest pressure drop. I know it isn't as light as the smaller ones. Dunno about the efficiency or pressure drop. He won't be running anywhere near 600 RWHP unless he upgrades the turbo/s.

Oh and I didn't realize it was xi so ya I guess AR might be the only good choice for catless DP's. Thx JP
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the quick responses guys.

Quote:
He said lightweight and lowest pressure drop. I know it isn't as light as the smaller ones. Dunno about the efficiency or pressure drop. He won't be running anywhere near 600 RWHP unless he upgrades the turbo/s.
Ideally, I want to be putting down 400+ ft lbs of torque at the wheels. I know that's stretching it just a bit with the stock turbos, but I figure I should get the most out of them before the inevitable turbo upgrade.

I was already leaning towards the AE exhaust, so that decision is pretty much locked-in now that I've read the advice in this thread. The 3" AR downpipes seem like a lock, as well, so now it's just down to the FMIC...

Are there any dynos floating around that compare the same (or very similar) setups with different FMICs?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

For the cost you will get the most power gains from a piggy back tune like a JB3 or Procede plus they are easy to remove for warranty work. DP's and exhaust will get you into trouble at the dealer for sure. I know people on here have had their warranties yanked because of them. You need to have a dealer that is mod friendly if you do DP's and intakes.
      01-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
For the cost you will get the most power gains from a piggy back tune like a JB3 or Procede plus they are easy to remove for warranty work.
As I mentioned in my original post, I already have a PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:

+1

Would of gotten the AE if it was out before I chose the Vishnu Exhaust.

AR makes some of the best dp's around and are the only ones that make a non-rusting dp for the XI.

FMIC I'm going to have to choose the Helix. They have crazy deals on them right now with the current group buys. If I wouldn't of gotten the Helix I would of gone the AMS route.

JP, I thought you had the VK FMIC?
      01-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

I've heard great things about the Code3/Spearco FMIC and will be getting mine in a couple weeks. They are a bit harder to find though. I also just bout BMS DCI and AR 3" catless DP's for my 09 335xi. I was after the same thing you are. Decided to go with the Code3/Spearco as it seems to be well respected.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
ar design
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
Hey folks,

There's a wealth of information available on these forums regarding mods, but some searching has shown me that most people tend to give opinions rather than facts when asked which product to purchase.

I'm looking for a quick answer to the following question: which exhaust/DP/FMIC combo will give me the biggest gains in HP/tq? These mods will be installed on my 2008 335xi with PROcede v4. I'm much less concerned about the sound of the exhaust than I am with its weight and power benefits. Accordingly, I'm also much more concerned about the efficiency of a FMIC than the looks. Price is no object, but I cringe at the thought of paying a lot for a name. Function over form... that's IT!

Thanks in advance!
FWIW we have some sick combo deals going on DPs + FMIC, and we can do something if you order the AE exhaust as well....
      01-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
I'd wait and see what kind of data is generated from the CP-E FMIC however, the Helix one priced great atm and there's been plenty of data on that.
      01-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willizm View Post
I've heard great things about the Code3/Spearco FMIC and will be getting mine in a couple weeks. They are a bit harder to find though. I also just bout BMS DCI and AR 3" catless DP's for my 09 335xi. I was after the same thing you are. Decided to go with the Code3/Spearco as it seems to be well respected.
The spearco's are so hard to find because the design was bought by Dinan.
      01-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance!
Then you may want to change your order to JB3..

and then Helix FMIC- Miltek exhaust- AR DP's
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Well most people are just going to list what they have. I think the only proven fact is that DP's which are mostly 3" in diameter have shown better dyno gains than the 2.5" DP's. I don't think there is much difference in power for exhausts, but I know some are lighter than others. Actually I think the Vanguard might be one of the lighter dual exhausts out there and it seems to do fine with power and sound. I believe HKS still claims the most power on a dyno (on a stock car). AMS has a single midpipe on their exhaust so I would assume it is pretty light as well but I don't know for sure. Some of the smaller FMIC's might be what you need if you want to stay efficient and lightweight.

I personally chose the AMS FMIC because it has cast end tanks (lighter design) which flow smoothly without any "corners or edges" and it is very light/efficient for it's size. I believe AMS said it is good for 550 RWHP which is more than you will ever get on stock turbo's/housings.

If I had to make a list, I personally would get:

AMS FMIC
AE/HKS/Vanguard Exhaust

-no cats anywhere on car
FYI cast endtanks are heavier than sheet metal endtanks BUT in a fmic you want mass(WEIGHT) this mass is what absorbs the heat and the more mass the longer heatsoak is prolonged.

Heres a very simple example, what takes longer to boil(with the same starting temps(ambients) and same heat source temps(charge air) a quart of water or a gallon?
the only time you want a light intercooler is a top mount intercooler that is prone to absorbing engine heat... Lots of misinformation in many of these intercooler threads

if you want a light intercooler you honestly cant beat stock albeit it doesnt work worth a damn!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
Then you may want to change your order to JB3..
lol... or not. The OP couldn't have made a better decision on that front.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

Quote:
lol... or not. The OP couldn't have made a better decision on that front.
you mis-spelled "worse"

j/k ladies..

(or am I..?....you'll see...)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
Willizm
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335Xi and 01 Trans Am WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
The spearco's are so hard to find because the design was bought by Dinan.
Got one of the last ones from Harold at hpautowerks. Not sure how true the dinan thing is. Is there anything to support that?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ar dpS!!!!!!
Appreciate 0