E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > INJEN Intake + Active Autowerke BOV Combined?

01-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 335i, JB/CR

Question INJEN Intake + Active Autowerke BOV Combined?

Hi guys,

I'm still preparing a huge modlist and one of the upgrades is the Air Intake system.

As Air Intakes are known to modestly increase the number of HP, I am more interested into the quality of the product, cosmetic look and the sound it does more than the performance it adds...

I'm not saying that Performance shouldn't be taken into count, but let's face it it's a minor factor here.

So anyways, the INJEN Intake System really makes things look real sexy under the hood.

I have an Active Autowerke Blow-Off Valve installed and I just wanna know whether the INJEN Air Intake will fit with the BOV still in place.

Here are 2 photos which will clear things up a bit for you hopefully

The INJEN Air Intake System:

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Injen/DSC_0432-333.jpg[/IMG]

Photos that I took when I installed my AA BOV:

If the INJEN doesn't fit, then I'm probably gonna stick to the AFE Air Intake system which also looks pretty neat and obviously fits, happened to find a pic with an AA BOV installed as well

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited by Aphrodisiac; 01-19-2010 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Get rid of the BOV, it does nothing for the car or performance and buy the intake.

If you want the dumb "wooosssssshhhhh" sound, just carry a portable air tank and press the button when you shift gears!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Thats not gonna fit, not even close
      01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Ya but it's better to have your car do the 'whoooosh' sound for you. LOL

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_West View Post
Get rid of the BOV, it does nothing for the car or performance and buy the intake.

If you want the dumb "wooosssssshhhhh" sound, just carry a portable air tank and press the button when you shift gears!
It's a way of identifying the Turbochargers of your 335i ... A way of telling people this is no God damn ordinary E92 Bimmer, this is not an almighty M3 nor is it a 328i, it's a Twin Turbo - f***** Charged 335i

And Active Autowerke Engineers do it well... Their BOV doesn't sound like the rubbish WRXs' ones...

I bet that if you drive a 335i with an AA BOV, you're gonna think how dumb you were to write your post and save the Air Tank gas to pump up some boobs

The sound is real hot and it turns a lotta surprised heads because people are still not used to the idea of "Turbocharged Bavarian BMWs"

I'd never get rid of the "Woosh sound" :finger:

WOOSH ... WOOSH ...

By the way... no offense I'm just kidding around
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Injen DCI isn't going to fit the AA BOV setup, I'm pretty sure of that.......

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

I didn't get my BOV for the Pssh sound, but it's a plus
      01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't think it would fit. I have the BOV and looked into the intake a while ago.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
raylandm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche Cayman

the injen looks good... +1 on taking off the BOV to make room for the DCI.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

No way you can fit the BOV in there, I would find a work around- I love my AA BOV.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodisiac View Post
It's a way of identifying the Turbochargers of your 335i ... A way of telling people this is no God damn ordinary E92 Bimmer, this is not an almighty M3 nor is it a 328i, it's a Twin Turbo - f***** Charged 335i

And Active Autowerke Engineers do it well... Their BOV doesn't sound like the rubbish WRXs' ones...

I bet that if you drive a 335i with an AA BOV, you're gonna think how dumb you were to write your post and save the Air Tank gas to pump up some boobs

The sound is real hot and it turns a lotta surprised heads because people are still not used to the idea of "Turbocharged Bavarian BMWs"

I'd never get rid of the "Woosh sound" :finger:

WOOSH ... WOOSH ...

By the way... no offense I'm just kidding around
how about a "la cucaracha" horn as well? haha
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

get DDVs!!!

the boost is recycled!
      01-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

On the contrary, The Active Autowerke BOV is designed to handle up to 600hp vehicles. This BOV was designed to release the excess pressure of higher boosted turbos and superchargers. The stock diverter valves are only able to handle 8.8psi boost and with any modified 335i you will probably run higher boost more like 12.8psi or higher. This additional boost has to go somewhere without the correct BOV or diverter valve you will have compressor surge that will damage your turbo and eventually cause it to fail. There is much more to a BOV than a whooooooooosh sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #15
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, 911 GTS manual,F80,G80

Quote:

that is excatly what i think ...

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan@ActiveAutowerke View Post
On the contrary, The Active Autowerke BOV is designed to handle up to 600hp vehicles. This BOV was designed to release the excess pressure of higher boosted turbos and superchargers. The stock diverter valves are only able to handle 8.8psi boost and with any modified 335i you will probably run higher boost more like 12.8psi or higher. This additional boost has to go somewhere without the correct BOV or diverter valve you will have compressor surge that will damage your turbo and eventually cause it to fail. There is much more to a BOV than a whooooooooosh sound.
+1

I forgot to mention that really important point concerning the Compressor Surge phenomenon and what the AA BOV does to protect the turbos...

Guys, what about the Gruppe M intake? Do you think it will fit with the BOV?

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/zoom_img/Gruppe_M_Ram_Intake_BMW_RS_1210169507.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/zoom_img/Gruppe_M_Ram_Intake_BMW_RS_1210169623.jpg[/IMG]

It looks promising but price is a bit too high...
$2280

I think AFE is the best so far... Any other suggestions guys?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
i do not sure about it .. i have injen myself.. i am thinkg about getting ddv.. idk.. but one thing i do know is .. that it is already really tight in the engine bay once you install injen in there.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrodisiac View Post
+1

I forgot to mention that really important point concerning the Compressor Surge phenomenon and what the AA BOV does to protect the turbos...

Guys, what about the Gruppe M intake? Do you think it will fit with the BOV?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/zoom_img/Gruppe_M_Ram_Intake_BMW_RS_1210169623.jpg[/IMG]

It looks promising but price is a bit too high...
$2280

I think AFE is the best so far... Any other suggestions guys?
yeah group m is really just a carbon fiber stock intake ...with better airflow i still think the money / hp gain ratio is just not really worth it.. i can get 2 brand new turbo for that price.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Interesting that you back up the BOV...oh, you work for the company?

My comment was about the reason that MOST people buy them...for the sound! As Afro-D-Z-Ack has attested to.

If you're more interested in performance, why not go with some upgraded diverters as opposed to a BOV? Now, Im not the expert but Im willing to bet that if Shiv got involved with this conversation, he would be advising against the BOVs as well. Then again, Im not here to start a tuner war.

And, once again, my comment was based solely on the fact that many people who buy BOV's cruise up and down a 25 mph street in 1st gear "blowing" their "valves" to get attention.

I think my next mod will be a Dukes of Hazzard air horn...now that will get some attention and I hear its also good for up to 600hp!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My comment was about the reason that MOST people buy them...for the sound! As Afro-D-Z-Ack has attested to.

If you're more interested in performance, why not go with some upgraded diverters as opposed to a BOV? Now, Im not the expert but Im willing to bet that if Shiv got involved with this conversation, he would be advising against the BOVs as well. Then again, Im not here to start a tuner war.

And, once again, my comment was based solely on the fact that many people who buy BOV's cruise up and down a 25 mph street in 1st gear "blowing" their "valves" to get attention.

I think my next mod will be a Dukes of Hazzard air horn...now that will get some attention and I hear its also good for up to 600hp!
Afro-D-Z-Ack has not attested to that dumbass... AA Bovs are not only bought for Woosh sounds and if you check my thread about the Installation of the BOV you'll get yourself a clear image of what the BOV is all about and the extended explanation of its benefits.

I guess you had a hard time reading Ryan's post as you didn't understand the message he was trying to pass along...

Nobody is arguing that the BOV is a performance upgrade as it certainly wouldn't get a high increased HP/Money Ration, but rather as a way of expelling the surplus boost inside the turbos which prevents them from spinning due to high pressure and creates a phenomenon known as "Compressor Surge", which might damage the turbos on the long-run especially that they are small but angry little ones...
This is where the BOV actually helps decreasing the extra boost by discharging it from the horn and therefor might actually slightly increase performance as it decreases the Compressor Surge cycles/duration;
and also, most importantly, increases the longevity of your turbochargers

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3ERWEiQDW4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N3ERWEiQDW4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Now if you don't think this is hot, or you have something against the Woosh sound, then you shouldn't have bought a Turbocharged vehicle from the first place as BOVs and Turbos are most often associated phenomenons; and we're not talking WRX BOV here, we're talking Active Autowerke.

Anyways, all BOV haters, you are not welcome here so please drift away and get back to the purpose of this thread

Last edited by Aphrodisiac; 01-20-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #21
Aphrodisiac
Banned
Lebanon
Rep

Exclamation

Guys...

I just read an interesting review about the AFE Air Intake with an attached Dyno comparison between it and the Stock BMW Airbox...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169169

Results are a bit surprising as the AFE proved a loss in power!

Some vendor trying contacting AFE Engineers and they told him that it needs hundreds of miles for the system to synchronize with the car's Computer System. Sounds logical, but the guy had already undergone those miles.

Excuses were also given under "poor experimental conditions" despite the guys having done several Dyno trials, with pretty acceptable conditions but this still doesn't justify because the loss of power was shocking on the graph!

The real reason was found out later when a guy tried installing a Temp. sensor in the AFE intake bay and measured 140 F with an ambient air temperature of 100 F which means that there is an increase of 40 F in temperature where as the Stock bay measured slightly 5 or sometimes even 1 F above 100 which is one of the factors that justifies the drop of power as Cold Air intake is an important factor to consider specially with Turbocharged engines.

So the real issue here is the poorly engineered AFE Heatshield, might it be materials used or design crafted, which apparently doesn't prevent most of the Hot Engine Bay air from being sucked up into the intake...

So guys I'm starting to reconsider... I think I'm gonna opt for more Sealed intakes preferably in Carbon Fiber for the Material Quality/Properties and the cosmetics such as DINAN Air Intake, Gruppe M, any other suggestions of well-sealed and reputable DYNO tested intakes?

I'm really considering the DINAN because I'm probably going to install the Stage 3 DINAN Chip, DINAN Performance Intercooler, and DINAN Oil cooler

However, I can't find many detailed well written reviews/Dyno Graphs about it...

DINAN Intake:

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

rofl ... dukes of hazzard air horn.. i remind me of one of my friends. he got a duke of hazzard air horn in his civic.. super loud...lol

Appreciate 0