E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Taking the car to the dealer for new turbos

01-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
Sevak - Deleted User
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Taking the car to the dealer for new turbos

I will leave my car at the dealer next monday for new turbos (WG-rattle).
The will change the turbos and upgrade the software.
My car is build 2006-09 and has MSD80.
I have AR catless DP and BMS 02 sims. My dealer knows that I have Catless DP and DCI everything else is stock.
Can they upgrade my software when I have Bms 02 sims in my ECU or do I have to remove the 02 sims? I hope that I dont have to remove them becuase I cant my self. I have also read lately that some people get codes whit the newest software, catless DP and 02 sims.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevak View Post
I will leave my car at the dealer next monday for new turbos (WG-rattle).
The will change the turbos and upgrade the software.
My car is build 2006-09 and has MSD80.
I have AR catless DP and BMS 02 sims. My dealer knows that I have Catless DP and DCI everything else is stock.
Can they upgrade my software when I have Bms 02 sims in my ECU or do I have to remove the 02 sims? I hope that I dont have to remove them becuase I cant my self. I have also read lately that some people get codes whit the newest software, catless DP and 02 sims.
The o2 sims will not effect the flashing of the ECU, and since the dealer is aware its there then I wouldn't worry about it The problems with o2 sims with the latest software have been combined with the MSD81 I believe, so again you should be okay in that regard as well.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
joyride08
Joyride
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i | Black/Black/Alum

I would turn it back to stock... you never know when a reg. rep will stop in, and new turbos could be what causes him to stop by.

Just because the dealer knows about it, doesn't mean it will all be ok from a BMW standpoint. Plus, they will physically have to touch your DP's. You never know what the tech will put in the report as a note to cover his ass in case he messes something up with the O2 sim or aftermarket DP.
      01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride08 View Post
I would turn it back to stock... you never know when a reg. rep will stop in, and new turbos could be what causes him to stop by.

Just because the dealer knows about it, doesn't mean it will all be ok from a BMW standpoint. Plus, they will physically have to touch your DP's. You never know what the tech will put in the report as a note to cover his ass in case he messes something up with the O2 sim or aftermarket DP.
big 2nd.....better to spen the money on labor on pulling those out....I would always plan for the worst case in major warranty repairs.

Would you rather spend a few hundred on reverting to stock OR have your car on the lift, turbos half way off and the regional rep comes by and cancels the warranty claim, your car is half way apart, the remaining warranty gone???
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
big 2nd.....better to spen the money on labor on pulling those out....I would always plan for the worst case in major warranty repairs.

Would you rather spend a few hundred on reverting to stock OR have your car on the lift, turbos half way off and the regional rep comes by and cancels the warranty claim, your car is half way apart, the remaining warranty gone???
^ no truer words spoken ....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I just had misfires and the rep stoped in and there went my warranty. Now I have to fight t get head lights covered..
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Sevak - Deleted User
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

This is not on warrenty or on goodwill. My insurance company pays for everything. So is it true like Mike sad that it its OK to have the 02 sims in the ECU and update the software.
Thanks for your advice guys but I didnt ask if I should remove DP and 02 sims.
Only if it works to update the software whit the 02 sims in the ECU.

I have one more question. The 02 sensors should they be installed on the AR DP just like the OEM. Hope you understand my question.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

how were you able to have your insurace company to cover wastegate rattle issue and replace the whole turbos? please let me know how

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
thefireant
Just browsing for now...
Rep
Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
how were you able to have your insurace company to cover wastegate rattle issue and replace the whole turbos? please let me know how
Im interested as well

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
Must be something in Sewden where the OP is from.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevak View Post
This is not on warrenty or on goodwill. My insurance company pays for everything. So is it true like Mike sad that it its OK to have the 02 sims in the ECU and update the software.
Thanks for your advice guys but I didnt ask if I should remove DP and 02 sims.
Only if it works to update the software whit the 02 sims in the ECU.

I have one more question. The 02 sensors should they be installed on the AR DP just like the OEM. Hope you understand my question.
Sevak, have in mind that in most cases the send out a guy to check the car from the insurancecompany, and if something looks suspicious your in trouble..thats why i left my car to my tuningshop to do the insurance work, because then i did not have to pay anything to take the dp's and some other stuff off that had to be taken off anyway from the car if i would have left the car to the dealer...and that saved me some money....

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

in most cases..

i dont know the way the VSC's are administered in other countries -- so to suggest anything but read the "covered parts" and "non-covered part" section would be prudent. just to make sure there is no clause that excludes modifications or off-road use -- as both of those components could be construed as such -- not saying they will .. but its better to safe -- than sorry..

as for the U.S. -- i can tell you a savvy, experienced mechanical damage inspector will report that quicker than Eyewitness News .. as i used to work as a claims adjuster for 2 of the largest VSC companies in the US
Appreciate 0