E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > LCI 6FL, some albums with wrong name

01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

LCI 6FL, some albums with wrong name

Hi All,

I've noticed that some of my albums aren't displaying the correct names.

Due to length of the album names meaning they would go off the side of the screen, I went through all my Ministry of Sound albums and changed the wording in the Album tag from "Ministry of Sound" to "MOS".

This worked fine apart from on two of the albums which still display the old name on the IDrive screen. I double checked on the PC and the new shorter name was there.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Je suis confused!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Where are these songs stored? On an external device such as an ipod? If it is an ipod it may be worth doing a reboot of it whilst plugged into the car and see if it re-indexes the albums.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh sorry, forgot to mention, it's a 32gb memory stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Oh sorry, forgot to mention, it's a 32gb memory stick.
Sounds like you may have missed the tag data on a couple of albums ... maybe edited but closed without saving?

Otherwise perhaps it's picking this up from the file name?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I've checked that, all seems well.

Another example is that I have an album which is in two parts, xxxxx cd1 and xxxxx cd2. On the IDrive the content of both cd1 and cd2 are in one album called xxxxx. This isn't really an issue but it shows the problem, and on this album I've not changed anything in the tags.

Either there is a hidden tag within the files, or the Idrive is storing some info from before I changed the tags. Can't think what else it could be.

Edit: its not the file name, but good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I tried a 32GB stick when I had first had my Lci E90 and to be honest it did my head in. That also, displayed some data in an unusual format even though it looked fine in the file structure, and it seemed to take a good while to index when I first started the car. Could be a good 30 seconds before it played any music I gave up using it after a week!

Since switching back to ipod I have had no issues at all. The idrive definitely reads USB sticks differently to actual ipods for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah, indexing takes about 2 mins the first time you put it in, but after that only a few seconds, so I can live with it.

It's only on a few albums where there is a problem - I'm a bit anal about the naming but might just get over it and not waste my time. After all, I can still find the albums, they just don't look quite as neat and ordered on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Banzi - are you searching by folder or by 'album' tag?

BTW the BMW system doesn't read the 'album artist' tag which is often used on compilation albums and can cause confusion.

It is a pain that the font is so HUGE you can barely fit most album titles on the screen, I wish it had a font size option for people who are not blind, like me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Banzi - are you searching by folder or by 'album' tag?

BTW the BMW system doesn't read the 'album artist' tag which is often used on compilation albums and can cause confusion.

It is a pain that the font is so HUGE you can barely fit most album titles on the screen, I wish it had a font size option for people who are not blind, like me.
I didn't actually know you could search by folder! Could be quite useful, but no, I'm definitely searching by album tag.

I did actually think of the Album artist tag thing. Good suggestion. This is a difficult one to check because windows doesn't seem to show it despite MS Media player using it and meaning that all my music is sorted in a really stupid way. I think this is inconsistent of Microsoft.

I use Win amp now, which like most players ignores Album artist in favour of just artist.

Anyway, I digress.

I checked the 'album artist' tags (had to download a program that would allow me to look at it) and some were populated and some were not, but they bared no resemblance to the tags the IDrive was showing, so I concluded that IDrive was actually using the 'Album' tag (albeit not totally successfully).

Also, 'Album artist' I guess is to do with the name of the artist and not the name of the album so it makes sense that the Idrive would search using the 'Album' tag when you select to search by album.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Just go to 'search folder' on the top line of the USB stick menu on i drive. It works immediately whilst the tags indexer is still indexing.

I find this best as I file all my tracks by artist(or compilation title)/album/track - title, so I never use that tags for searching anyway.

Try Media Monkey, its free and much better than winamp. Beats I-tunes hands down too. It works on all formats and tag types.

You can view and group edit / auto edit all your tags in one go. I recently tidied (a bit OCD I know) all the tags on my 8000 track collection in one afternoon. It will auto rename and re file all the tracks too based on tags or whatever else you want to use.

Brilliant bit of software.

Last edited by doughboy; 01-11-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Defo giving that a go!

8000 in one day?! Good god.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The free one is all you need...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Looks cracking! Will get on to that tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Blimey, that media monkey took me a few mins to get my head round.

The active use of Album artist really confused me.

I currently use TigoTago to edit tags but it doesn’t allow editing of Album artist.

But I think what it has done is fill the Album Artist fields with the same data as in the Artist field.

This is fine for most albums where all the songs are by the same artist, but not when the Album is a home made compilation consisting of many artists.

I created an Album called Choice 80’s, and entered ‘Choice 80s’ as the Album title for each song in TigoTago – in the car, and my phone this works fine, and I can search by album name and find it. In Media Monkey however the library lists it as 30 separate Albums, each with one song in!

It took me a while to work out that in this case, the Album artist should be my name because I was the one that created the album – once I changed this for all the songs in the Choice 80’ss Album it then grouped all the songs with that album title in one folder.

It is really easy to update multiple songs though, I can see how it’s possible to sort out your entire collection on one day. I like it, but I’ve now got a fair amount of work to do to get my library in order. I don’t really need to because most media players don’t use album artist, but the OCD has kicked in!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Ha Ha!

Bring on the OCD!

TBH for just tag editing you can't beat MP3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) very simple, whereas media monkey is quite complex and is a media manager too, MP3tag is just a tag editor for lots of formats, not just MP3. You might prefer that one.

Back on subject...

I only use 'album artist' for compilations, then I set it to 'Various Artists'.

This means the software has another filing reference, it can then autosave compilation albums in a folder called /Various Artist/album title/track so I know that all compilation albums are separate from artist albums. Again I always file and search by folder as I can't get my head around tag based playlists or searching.

For example, with compilations, each track has a different artist, but you don't want each track stored in a different place with its artist. i.e you don't want a track by artist X from a compilation being split from that compilation and put in a folder with an artist X album.

By setting album artist to 'Various artist' (or you could use the DJ name for example, but for consistency I used Various Artists) you ensure that that they are kept together.

I though about replacing all the 'artist' tags on dance compilations with the DJ name, that way you can search by DJ name as you don't know the track artists really anyway, but then you've lost the individual track artist detail - not that its much use.

The beauty of Mediamonkey and MP3tag is you can see ALL and remove all the useless tags you don't need in one go, and batch set the ones you do want in one go too. Less tags means faster indexing too.

Really IMO you only need:

Artist
Album
Album Artist (If compilation=1 then set to 'Various Artist' , else set to blank)
Track no
Track Title
Compilation? 1 or 0
CD number (if not already in album title)
Genre
Year

All the other guff you can just delete to simplify.

Last edited by doughboy; 01-12-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #16
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Ha Ha!

I only use 'album artist' for compilations, then I set it to 'Various Artists'.
So for non compilations do you set the 'album artist' as the same as the actual artist? Or, can this just be left blank?

Edit: sorry, you answered this already

Last edited by BanziBarn; 01-12-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Just blank on normal albums.

The album artist was meant for DJ names etc, but the CDDB tag files put all sorts of junk in there (as they do with other tags, mispellings etc) so each time you rip / download an album you need to check and correct the tags.

If you decide on a simple set of tags and rules its easier to set each album up as you get it.
Appreciate 0