BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

MB to battle the new M1 with entry-level AMG?

Sounds like it's just a thought right now, inspired by the M1. Competition is good. Show me the manual tranny though, AMG!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...enz/index.html
      01-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

MB already makes one.. SLK 55 amg..
Although its automatic and priced in M3 territory.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
jaglacs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M1

FAIL...MB just can't seem to get the handling right, they feel numb
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Having owned a SLK55 I agree on the handling, however my C55 was significantly less money and more entry level than the SLK55. The SLK55 is a go fast car but not a true sports car in the handling sense, that's why I traded it for a CaymanS....Rumor has it that MB will be focusing on a lighter weight forced induction vesion of the SLK in the future...we'll see??
      01-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Sounds like it's just a thought right now, inspired by the M1. Competition is good. Show me the manual tranny though, AMG!
You will not see a manual AMG car. Their philosiphy is that they build cars for rich people who dont want to bothered by a stick.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Those who says AMG's handling is numb has obviously not driven the new AMG products, specifically the C63 and the new E63.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
MB already makes one.. SLK 55 amg..
Although its automatic and priced in M3 territory.
SLK55 competes with the Boxster/S, BMW Z4 & Audi TT. The 135i is in a class by itself in the US market, I think. I don't consider the A3 in the same league, as its built on the Golf platform, whereas the 1er is built on the 3er platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaglacs View Post
FAIL...MB just can't seem to get the handling right, they feel numb
With AMG now doing chassis and suspension development, they're getting much closer to BMW. Are they there yet? Not quite IMO, but AMG is an amazing division with a lot of history, knowledge and pride. They are determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Having owned a SLK55 I agree on the handling, however my C55 was significantly less money and more entry level than the SLK55. The SLK55 is a go fast car but not a true sports car in the handling sense, that's why I traded it for a CaymanS....Rumor has it that MB will be focusing on a lighter weight forced induction vesion of the SLK in the future...we'll see??
Agree on the SLK55. I wanted to love it (and who doesn't love a V8 snorting right behind your back?) but it tries to be too many things at once. The C55 was a much better car as far as MB's go IMO. I came very close to buying one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You will not see a manual AMG car. Their philosiphy is that they build cars for rich people who dont want to bothered by a stick.
Well, in the past I agree on the manual thing. But if they really want to make a car to compete with the M1, I think they will finally consider a manual. I really do. I toured the AMG factory in Affalterbach and you're somewhat right about their philosophy being firm in its vision of who they are, but that vision is not exclusive to providing "rich people" with cars (it's all relative BTW) AMG began as a tuner, and they still have that tuner spirit, only they are now fully backed by MB's money. It is really an amazing facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Those who says AMG's handling is numb has obviously not driven the new AMG products, specifically the C63 and the new E63.

They both make the BEST cars in the world IMO. Being Stuttgart vs Munich/Bavaria, there will always be rivalry. But as enthusiasts we are fortunate to have the opportunity to enjoy them both. Life's too short to just try one!
      01-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

While AMG can't yet master the BMW DNA its products have magically lure of its own. You can't deny this is sexy and there's no BMW product in the line that can compete with this. I have never been a fan of MB until an extended test drive on a rental recently.

[u2b]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/49HdqtWHEoo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/49HdqtWHEoo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Whatever MB does, they needs to put a turbo on it, just like they are doing with the C63 replacement!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

And that's why I'll never be bothered to even test drive one of them even though I have no problem affording it.

Their "philosiphy" is actually just an excuse. The reality is they don't want to spend the engineering dollars on integrating the manual transmissions because some executives can't see the need for them, and because of that the entire brand is being completely ignored by a large portion of the enthusiast community.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
jaglacs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M1

Quote:
but they still don't compare to the handling on a BMW, for some reason it just doesn't feel connected. They just add too much power for what the car is capable of handling. that's why the m3 can eat the c63 on a track, but in a straight line its a different story.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

MB planning 5.5 Turbo V8 to replace 6.2 V8 amg engine.. LOTS of power potential there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Bcav
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
i have a c63 and the handling to kinda numb. and my girlfriends parents own a s63 amg that i dont care for, its just a SICK luxury car
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
MB planning 5.5 Turbo V8 to replace 6.2 V8 amg engine.. LOTS of power potential there.
So basically they will ditch the N/A engines and go back to the pre-07 era with the CLS55/C55/E55 which had the 5.5 SC
I always laugh when people talk about modding potential. Yes the 3.0T S4 can be fast so does the 335I but I'd take a slowe N/A engine over these high tech F/I engines. They don't feel the same and are more prone to failure(cough) HPFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

I agree, the C63 is nothing but fun to drive. I had a change to drive a 2009 for a spell this last summer, while on travel to Georgia.

Super fun car to drive!

The only thing I like better about BMW is the way they set up the traction control over MB.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I agree, the C63 is nothing but fun to drive. I had a change to drive a 2009 for a spell this last summer, while on travel to Georgia.

Super fun car to drive!

The only thing I like better about BMW is the way they set up the traction control over MB.
What is traction control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Wait a second here.... Either that article is all wrong, or I think MB is going about it all wrong. The article states that MB would be taking the next A and B class platform for this car (which makes total sense, since it the only car they could do this for without making a new platform just for this car), but that platform is a front wheel drive platform. The new AMG car would be rear wheel drive. That's a ridiculous undertaking.

Platforms are built so that they can be either front or rear wheel drive, and the motor mounting, tranny positioning (and tunnel room to fit a longitudinally mounted tranny), drive shaft tunnel, gas tank mounting, rear differential, the entire front and rear suspension mounting (not just the components), and trunk configuration, would be needing to be redesigned for this one AMG car.

I don't see that happening, and if they do make it, the chassis is already a compromise. At least the M1 will be based off of the proven rear drive E82 platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
Bcav
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Wait a second here.... Either that article is all wrong, or I think MB is going about it all wrong. The article states that MB would be taking the next A and B class platform for this car (which makes total sense, since it the only car they could do this for without making a new platform just for this car), but that platform is a front wheel drive platform. The new AMG car would be rear wheel drive. That's a ridiculous undertaking.

Platforms are built so that they can be either front or rear wheel drive, and the motor mounting, tranny positioning (and tunnel room to fit a longitudinally mounted tranny), drive shaft tunnel, gas tank mounting, rear differential, the entire front and rear suspension mounting (not just the components), and trunk configuration, would be needing to be redesigned for this one AMG car.

I don't see that happening, and if they do make it, the chassis is already a compromise. At least the M1 will be based off of the proven rear drive E82 platform.
didnt see that
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
MB has no interest in making or outsourcing a manny that can handle the torque of the AMG engines.
Besides, they make a pretty sh*tty manny anyway, I should know.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

MB = paper dragons
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
While AMG can't yet master the BMW DNA its products have magically lure of its own. You can't deny this is sexy and there's no BMW product in the line that can compete with this. I have never been a fan of MB until an extended test drive on a rental recently.

[u2b]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/49HdqtWHEoo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/49HdqtWHEoo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/u2b]
lmao wtf that cork screw totally threw me off and i almost spit out my coke
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0