E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2010 navigation in a 2009 M3

01-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

2010 navigation in a 2009 M3

The navigation on my 2009 (Sept 2008 production) has had a few quirks since I picked up the car new in Munich (for ex: the map will freeze and restart, without crashing iDrive). So first I had the dealer here in Paris try to update the software as part of the DCT update. This helped the DCT performance but not the navi. After looking into it further, the dealer identified the map version as a possible problem. It seems my car (US-spec but sold for use in Europe) came with map version “Testmap” 2008.2. Apparently this “Testmap” is what was available to load onto US-spec cars in Munich right after the new iDrive changeover…and it may be a set of maps that is mainly designed for European delivery and not for permanent use in Europe (2009 European spec 3-series has a map set called “Professional 2008.2”).

A couple of weeks ago, the BMW dealer tried to update the navigation system again – I thought just by loading a new map disc. But instead they tried doing something more complicated which ultimately did not work. At first they told me their update caused some kind of error (I suspect because they did not take into account the car was US-spec, but maybe the BMW systems make that kind of mistake impossible since it should be obvious through the VIN?). At any rate they could not load the new map set and so they called their technical experts who, after consulting Munich, were told to stop messing with the car until a software update is rolled out in January. So they supposedly reset the system back to the way it was.

After picking up the car though, I noticed the navigation menu had changed…and I now think that’s because the 2010 software was loaded. The first thing that is different is that after I enter an address, there is now an option to add more addresses under “Add as another dest”. Previously, the only way to do this was to turn on the “Trips” option first and create a new trip. The Trip menu which was there before is gone, as is the USB Trip Import option (which I have used a number of times through the connected drive website.

Another difference I have noticed is that the “arrow display” in the split-screen navigation window, now shows a finer resolution for the layout of the approaching intersection/circles. This makes it easier to see where you are supposed to go in some of the more complicated intersections.
So I then looked up the manual for the 2010 models on the BMW website and found some other minor differences between the 2009 and 2010 system that I think confirm that it now has the 2010 software – for example -- instead of the home address being the “Home Address” it is now just “Home.”

The voice commands are also different and seem to work better. I was easily able to enter a destination address here in Paris by voice, which has been a struggle (really impossible) before.

Drawbacks: besides the missing USB import function (which is also no longer listed on the 2010 models), the one thing that seems to not work as well is the muting of music from my iPod (but not the radio or CD???) when navigation instructions are being issued (basically the volume on the iPod music does not decrease as much as it used to).

So, for what it’s worth, it appears that the 2010 navigation system can be loaded on the 2009 model hardware. I’m still exploring what other differences there are…at least until the next attempt at an update occurs, when in all likelihood given BMW France's track record, I will end up with the 2008 software instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post

The voice commands are also different and seem to work better. I was easily able to enter a destination address here in Paris by voice, which has been a struggle (really impossible) before.
Are these new voice commands like this? http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/06/08/bm...vation-system/

Quote:
Drawbacks: besides the missing USB import function (which is also no longer listed on the 2010 models), the one thing that seems to not work as well is the muting of music from my iPod (but not the radio or CD???) when navigation instructions are being issued (basically the volume on the iPod music does not decrease as much as it used to).
- Is this USB import function to load music into the HDD?
- the iPod uses the AUX input, and the AUX input level is adjustable in the '09 iDrive. Perhaps after the update you need to manually adjust the input level to make up for any audio level changes.

Quote:
So, for what it’s worth, it appears that the 2010 navigation system can be loaded on the 2009 model hardware.
I think that the best thing about the CIC in the new iDrive is its capacity to be constantly upgraded with software and not changing its hardware as it was done before.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Are these new voice commands like this? http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/06/08/bm...vation-system/
Let me check it by switching over the voice input to the German language option to compare. One of the difficulties is that I am using English language menus/inputs in France; so when the system sounds out the French pronounciation, it sounds very odd. I will play around with it and if I can maybe post a video clip as well.

Quote:
Is this USB import function to load music into the HDD?
As far as the USB import, what I am referring to is the option to import a "Trip" that you create on the BMW Connected Drive website (it uses a google maps interface), you create a trip and then downloaded in compressed format to a USB drive. The USB drive goes into the glovebox connection and is then imported into the navigation (European-spec car owners can create an account on the website and send their "trips" through the BMW Online connection). The import trip function worked very well for me (I think is only possible with the European maps as the US doesn't show up on the website) --that said, I like the ease with which I can now create a trip via iDrive without having to select/deselect the "Trip" menu.

The USB music import option is definitely still available. One thing I am going to check is whether the backup function for the music I have stored works any faster than before. It is so slow that I cannot manage to backup my 10gb of music even during a longish trip before having to shut the car down for gas.

Quote:
the iPod uses the AUX input, and the AUX input level is adjustable in the '09 iDrive. Perhaps after the update you need to manually adjust the input level to make up for any audio level changes.
I'll check the input level adjustment -- I have the iPod connected through the BMW iPod cable (using the USB and aux input); I don't recall having had to adjust it before but that's a great suggestion. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Let me check it by switching over the voice input to the German language option to compare. One of the difficulties is that I am using English language menus/inputs in France; so when the system sounds out the French pronounciation, it sounds very odd. I will play around with it and if I can maybe post a video clip as well.
The main change is the ability to say a whole address in one phrase without steps in between -say street and wait for prompt, say number and wait for prompt, and so on.

Quote:
As far as the USB import, what I am referring to is the option to import a "Trip" that you create on the BMW Connected Drive website (it uses a google maps interface), you create a trip and then downloaded in compressed format to a USB drive. The USB drive goes into the glovebox connection and is then imported into the navigation (European-spec car owners can create an account on the website and send their "trips" through the BMW Online connection). The import trip function worked very well for me (I think is only possible with the European maps as the US doesn't show up on the website) --that said, I like the ease with which I can now create a trip via iDrive without having to select/deselect the "Trip" menu.

The USB music import option is definitely still available. One thing I am going to check is whether the backup function for the music I have stored works any faster than before. It is so slow that I cannot manage to backup my 10gb of music even during a longish trip before having to shut the car down for gas.
It looks to me that what you have now is the USA -or at least a non-Europe- software version in your CIC, as we do not have that feature set up in the USA yet.

Quote:
I'll check the input level adjustment -- I have the iPod connected through the BMW iPod cable (using the USB and aux input); I don't recall having had to adjust it before but that's a great suggestion. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

Tell us what version of nav software you have in iDrive.
Navigation->Options->Navigation system version

Nav system versions I have seen: 1.2.8, 1.4.6
Nav map databases I have seen: North America Premium 2009-1, 2009-2

We are finding out that ISTA/P (whole car) software can be updated independently of the TeleAtlas nav system software and vice versa.

Quote:
After picking up the car though, I noticed the navigation menu had changed…and I now think that’s because the 2010 software was loaded. The first thing that is different is that after I enter an address, there is now an option to add more addresses under “Add as another dest”. Previously, the only way to do this was to turn on the “Trips” option first and create a new trip.
CIC ISTA/P 35.4 and later provides this feature. Though, the change does not happen with any nav update. I just got ISTA/P 36.0+, but my "old" nav 1.2.8 was left unchanged, yet I have this new feature you describe.

I have not seen the USB trip import since my update to ISTA/P 36.0+, either. I'll look again, but they may have removed that feature.

Quote:
Another difference I have noticed is that the “arrow display” in the split-screen navigation window, now shows a finer resolution for the layout of the approaching intersection/circles. This makes it easier to see where you are supposed to go in some of the more complicated intersections.
My split screen arrow does work more reliably now, but I don't know if the detail changed.

Quote:
...I think confirm that it now has the 2010 software – for example -- instead of the home address being the “Home Address” it is now just “Home.”
I still use the VC "Home address" shortcut to navigate home. I'll try just "home."

Per the VC and destination entry upgrades others have listed in thsi thread, those won't come in until a major update in spring 2010.

If your ISTA/P was updated, you may notice that you have more storage for music now (12.5GB up from 8GB).

2010-1 maps may be available in Feb 2010. Features with the newer nav system versions are unknown. There have been reports of real sat image overlay on maps using the 2009-2 map database.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]

Last edited by DJHakim; 01-01-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0