BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

12-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

V1 Rear View Mirror System - DIY install for E92 M3

I recently helped Niels install his V1 Rear View Mirror System in his E92 M3 - here's a write-up of the install.

Preparing for install -

Main V1 unit has been hidden inside the rear headrest, V1 concealed display is integrated into the factory mirror and Valentine's remote audio adapter will be installed to allow full control of the system.

In order to hide the cord coming out of the headrest a 1/4 inch hole will need to be drilled and cord routed as illustrated

Run the cord from the back of the seat all the way to the front of the cabin as shown

Remove the AIRBAG plastic clip

Remove the Torx bolt and then remove the A-pillar cover by pulling gently toward the center of the car. There are two clips securing the A-pillar that will pop loose

Remove the sun visor and sun visor clip as shown

Pull down on the center of the headliner and with both hands reach in to release the map light console. The console is held in place by two metal tabs

The V1 hardwire adapter included with your radar detector will need to be connected to a power source that cycles on/off with the ignition. The green/white wire shown works fine. **Note the metal tab inside V1's blue power tap is a little big for the wire we're using and will not make a solid connection. I removed a 1 mm section off the insulation of the wire and soldered the wire to the power tap.

Ground the hardwire adapter as shown and plug the red wire into the power tap

We will now run a phone cord from the "Main" port of the hardwire adapter across the headliner, down the A-pillar and through the dashboard to meet the cable that was previously installed under the dash

Open the cover on the side of the dashboard

Beginning from the bottom of the dash run a piece of safety wire through the dash as shown

attach the safety wire to the end of the cable and pull it through the dash. **Note it will be easier to run the wire if the connector is cut off the end of the phone cord. You will need to crimp a new connector on - make sure the orientation of the new connector matches the one that was cut off or the unit will not function. You can see four wires yellow - green - red - black.

The cord that is connected to the "main" side of the hardwire adapter is plugged into the "Power In" port of the audio adapter. The cord connected to the main V1 unit inside the headrest will be plugged into the "Power Out" port

Re-install the rear view mirror and route the cord through the front of the headliner. The cord from the mirror will be plugged into the "Accessory" port on the hardwire adapter.

Reconnect all of the factory wiring to the map light console. All of the required wiring connections are now complete. BEFORE buttoning up the car turn the ignition on, power the radar detector on with the remote audio adapter and make sure the display illuminates inside the mirror and the external speaker on the remote audio adapter is functioning. If you do not see the display or cannot hear the unit power on something is wired incorrectly or the hardwire adapter is not installed properly.

Re-install the cover onto the rain sensor and replace the other items that were removed and this will conclude the install, enjoy. :thumbsup2:

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

seems tough to install! but looks very good!
      01-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
carri0n m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5M

this is fantastic, looks really awesome
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Very clean work - excellent!!

I would appreciate it if you could take some time to respond to the following questions please as I am very interested in concealing properly my V1:

1. Why does the V1 need to be hidden all the way back in the headrest? Can it not be hidden, say, in the space above the driver's feet or in the glove compartment, or are these not ideal locations for good reception?

2. Do you have any detailed DIY instructions for placing the unit into the rear headrest?

3. Do I assume correctly that the V1 is in this case not used as a laser warning devise (only radar)? I say this because the unti is hidden in the headrest with no way for the laser sensors to have direct line of sight out of the front and rear windshields.

4. How did you do the display installation in the rear view mirror? Any detailed DIY instructions? Any hardware needed for this and if so where can I get these from?

Many thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
AceHollywood
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i/08 X5/09 E92 M3

Looks great! Have you ever tried to install the V1 in the center ceiling "console" where the rear most dome light is located?

I recently chaged to LED lights and when changing the bulb, it looked like there might be space for a stripped out V1. I have a CF roof, so no moonroof to worry about.

Anyone ever tried this?

-Joe
      01-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

So, what exactly goes under the headrest?

Is this a prebuilt mirror?

Where to the actual sensors go?

Nice install tho!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

install looks good! one question: why not place the V1 in the driver's side head rest instead of the passenger side headrest? placing it on the left would prevent you from having to run the cord between the two seat partitions. i imagine with your setup that you are going to have an issue when folding the seats.
      01-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #9
Robwe46m3
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 Ruby Blk M3 Individua

So how do we get (or make) the actual mirror with the integrated display?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
doba_s
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 l Cayenne l 997.2RS

Good Job ! This is how I did it ...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Very clean work - excellent!!

I would appreciate it if you could take some time to respond to the following questions please as I am very interested in concealing properly my V1:

1. Why does the V1 need to be hidden all the way back in the headrest? Can it not be hidden, say, in the space above the driver's feet or in the glove compartment, or are these not ideal locations for good reception?

2. Do you have any detailed DIY instructions for placing the unit into the rear headrest?

3. Do I assume correctly that the V1 is in this case not used as a laser warning devise (only radar)? I say this because the unti is hidden in the headrest with no way for the laser sensors to have direct line of sight out of the front and rear windshields.

4. How did you do the display installation in the rear view mirror? Any detailed DIY instructions? Any hardware needed for this and if so where can I get these from?

Many thanks!!
Sure..

1. The radar detector will work fine as long as there is no metal obstructing the sensors. Placing it in the glove box or inside the dash would significantly affect radar reception.

2. Don't have detailed instructions but here's a few pics

3. Correct. Most people get a laser jammer.

4. Integrating the V1 display inside the mirror is a PITA. Please shoot me a PM and I will let you know where you can have it done if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHollywood View Post
Looks great! Have you ever tried to install the V1 in the center ceiling "console" where the rear most dome light is located?

I recently chaged to LED lights and when changing the bulb, it looked like there might be space for a stripped out V1. I have a CF roof, so no moonroof to worry about.

Anyone ever tried this?

-Joe
I haven't tried this yet but would be worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeor View Post
So, what exactly goes under the headrest?

Is this a prebuilt mirror?

Where to the actual sensors go?

Nice install tho!
See pics above regarding the headrest. The mirrors are professionally built and unfortunately not a simple diy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
install looks good! one question: why not place the V1 in the driver's side head rest instead of the passenger side headrest? placing it on the left would prevent you from having to run the cord between the two seat partitions. i imagine with your setup that you are going to have an issue when folding the seats.
It could just as easily be placed in the driver side headrest. I use the passenger side b/c there's less interference.. the steering wheel, instrument cluster, etc.. is less in the way. The seats fold down fine without restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwe46m3 View Post
So how do we get (or make) the actual mirror with the integrated display?
Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know where you can have the mirror done.
Appreciate 0