Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Discuss: Used Wheel and Tire Liability

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Discuss: Used Wheel and Tire Liability

So I recently tried selling my OEM 189s with tires here on the forums: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332883

I had immediate interest from three buyers (thanks guys, sorry again) but I ran into a snag: a friend of mine who happens to also be my attorney advised against selling the wheels and tires. He told me that if a tire blew out or a rim cracked and failed, for whatever reason, and the buyer got in an accident I could be liable.

Thoughts? Frankly, I'm a believer in buyer beware. Perhaps we could post up a boiler plate liability release in the private/for sale forum?
      12-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Maybe over thinking the whole issue? Everything in this messed up country of ours could carry "liability". Pretty sure most people assume things are bought in "as-is" condition when purchasing used, unless otherwise stated or in the event the item was grossly misrepresented.

I'd sell your wheels and move on with life.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Whoa, I've never heard that, and if that was true, then whats to differentiate that when you sell a car, boat, motorcycle that hurts someone?
      12-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

I call bull _shit on your friend.
      12-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
e60_M5_2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MB C Class

I'm interested to see regs or case law that your lawyer is basing the advice.

The only disclaimer on a message board that I've ever seen has been for selling firearms, and the point of it was to announce to the world that the sale would be made IAW state and federal regulations. I believe this was done to protect the board, not the sellers.

Anyways, I prefer buying from private sellers on the basis of good faith and fair representation, i.e., the assumption a seller is disclosing known defects or impairments. If a seller wants to make a sale that violates those principals, they deserve the legal consequence. If you're selling something person to person and it requires pages of disclaimer, NO THANKS! Leave that stuff to Bank of America and BMW financial.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

What a crock.

While your friend may be technically correct, the same holds true for anything that anyone might sell.

Why does your friend believe that a wheel is any different from a toaster?

With any used item, there are two expectations:

The seller describes the product accurately
The buyer is purchasing as-is
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

^I agree with you guys but honestly, how could I tell if there's a micro-crack in the rim or an internal defect in the tire? I can't see anything and the wheels/tires ran fine on my car but who knows... what if they're damaged in shipping and then the buyer gets in an accident? Is it my fault then?

I'm ultra-paranoid about liability because I was sued a couple years back. A fat woman tried to take a short cut to one of my centers from her office building by cutting through some bushes. She fell and broke her arm and then sued me saying that I had not properly maintained a "walkway" and she won!
      12-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Ridiculous. People sue over anything now. I can understand your paranoia. Still, I think you should be okay selling them. Like someone said, just state "as-is" in your for sale thread.