E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth phone reception: cradle vs non-cradle

08-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Bluetooth phone reception: cradle vs non-cradle

Just wanting to get some feedback from those of you who started out with no bluetooth cradle, then had the cradle installed. Do you notice a big improvement in reception and clarity? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to pay for the cradle, and if it's worth it for the charging and reception benefits.

Also, on a sidenote: has anyone experienced fried batteries from the cradle's charging mechanism? One or two of the posters had this issue several weeks ago - I'd be interested to know if those were isolated instances or if it's a widespread problem...
      08-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr

Cradle or no?

I had the car for a month before a cradle was available, and the major disadvantage was the lack of charging especially overnight. However the antennae fin MUST assist in ttransmission in low strength areas. However even with the cradle I find the pickup from the built-in mic very low - my previous E46 was much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
tsoc88
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328ic, 2004 Z4 3.0i

Cradle/Bluetooth

Do not have the cradle, just the phone sitting in the car.
Bluetooth connection seems to actually be better than not using.
I think reception is still a product of your phone provider.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysop
I had the car for a month before a cradle was available, and the major disadvantage was the lack of charging especially overnight. However the antennae fin MUST assist in ttransmission in low strength areas. However even with the cradle I find the pickup from the built-in mic very low - my previous E46 was much better.
By pickup from the built-in mic, do you mean the mic in the car? And are you referring to outgoing (people can't hear you) or incoming (can't hear others)?
      08-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
sysop
Fleet Owner
Rep
Drives: 2005 320i A/T Idr

Yes, I mean the mic in the car - next to the roof lights. I am referring to the volume level that folk in the outside worls hear me, using this built-in mic. The phone in my previous E46, though not bluetooth, was superlative in every way.
Appreciate 0