BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Would you purchase a MadDad 128 Exhaust
Absolutely - it's about time ! 50 67.57%
Maybe 19 25.68%
No 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

12-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Who would have interest in a 128 specific exhaust

Looking to gauge interest in a possible MadDad Eurosport axleback section specific for the 128. If we decide to due this it won't just be a rehash of our 135i system it will be a new system with details sepecific to the 128 with pipe diameter appropriate to the NA motor and a tuned baffle to dial in the sound appropriately as well. Our 135i axleback section currently sells from $649(with polished SS tips) and goes up from there depending on tip options(black ceramic and real carbon fiber) I assume pricing would be similiar, certainly no more. So for now we are looking to see just how much interest there would be.
      12-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

as long as its better than stock (sound, air flow, look) and its black ceramic in color,
and price is right, I am in
I currently have muffler delete but I can use some real exhaust system now
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Strong interest here, and a willing beta tester if need be, as I was with the BMS PowerBox. I will provide detailed feedback. I do realize that some 128 owners will cry about lack of product, and then waffle indecisively or wait for other owners to be guinea pigs when it becomes available, whereas 135 owners will more likely just step up and buy the product. However, I notice that the BMS PowerBox is enjoying some good popularity among N/A owners, once a few tried it first. Currently, our only choice in exhaust is the BMWP product, which is a bit pricey and maybe not everyone's aural cup of tea. Your response to this need is much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
hongi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Absolutely yes
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

is it even a poll?
waiting now

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuzi View Post
is it even a poll?
waiting now
Those are already pretty strong poll results in basically an afternoon. Now if there is anyone out there in the Fountain Valley Ca. area that would be helpful because that is the area our fabrication shop is in. If you want to be the first one with an exhaust we'll offer a heavy discount for whoever can lend their car for a few hours. The quicker we can get a car in the quicker we can design the exhaust. PM if you have interest and are in that area of CA.

Rich
      12-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

...it would be preferable if we could find someone with a 128 Vert..so that we can ensure fitment will accomodate the extra brace on the vert.

R.
      12-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Rat Fink
Private
Rep
Drives: my wife crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
Those are already pretty strong poll results in basically an afternoon. Now if there is anyone out there in the Fountain Valley Ca. area that would be helpful because that is the area our fabrication shop is in. If you want to be the first one with an exhaust we'll offer a heavy discount for whoever can lend their car for a few hours. The quicker we can get a car in the quicker we can design the exhaust. PM if you have interest and are in that area of CA.

Rich
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks hdvato. Eagerly awaiting further news. I for one, will not be purchasing the BMWP or other exhaust while waiting to see if this is going to happen. Heck, I was the one bitchin' about lack of availability of stuff for 128ers in the first place, so I damn well better not do that!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guys,

FYI, I've already green lighted this, already have a forum member that stepped forward so we can do a proper fitment/design...although I'm still open to a vert owner. That said I'm not going to hold the project back if we don't find one since we already have a someone lined up. We'll have something to show as soon as mid January since there is a good portion of the current exhaust that can be leveraged as far as general fitment. It's more about appropriate pipe diameter for the NA motor and baffeling to get the right sound.

R.
      12-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Perfect Exhaust Sound

Let me ask you, is...

Melodious and soulful...Deep bottom end that's firm, not boomy...Howling midrange, a bit gutteral on let-off...Howl becomes Exotic Shriek as redline approaches. Never harsh or metallic sounding, and not ear-splittingly loud. A polished yet authorotative sound...

too much to ask?

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 12-15-2009 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Let me ask you, is...

Melodious and soulful...Deep bottom end that's firm, not boomy...Howling midrange, a bit gutteral on let-off...Howl becomes Exotic Shriek as redline approaches. Never harsh or metallic sounding, and not ear-splittingly loud. A polished yet authorotative sound...

too much to ask?
Your not a wine judge are you

R.
      12-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hahaha...Cigars.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Rat Fink
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Hahaha...Cigars.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

I am but it has to have the following very specific specifications:

a) must improve performance - not interested in a looks only, must perform and perform well
b) ZERO interior resonance - absolute deal breaker with me if it causes interior resonance I will not be buying it. I've had too many other exhausts on previous cars do this and it ruins a ride
c) must be civil so no change in interior noise unless under WOT, or over 5000 rpms
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Don't expect a muffler to improve performance by any measureable amount; an axle-back is pretty much for enhanced engine note and driving pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ethermal - as Fireflyer239 alludes to, axleback sections are mostly about sound character. They can be good contributors to overall performance if the entire exhaust system is swapped for a performance setup but by themselves I would never market/sell an axleback to someone with the promise of butt dyno gains. A performance axleback can and should give gains but most folks(me included) would not consider a 5-6hp gain worth the price point. To your other note about sound we already have a great track record with our axleback for the 135i and I'll be honest that car was miserable to tune the sound for. We made 3 different prototype axleback sections with the sound dialed in different before we went to production with that piece. The twin turbo setup does not produce as desirable an exhaust note as the NA motor and the tt has drone from the factory in my opinion. I look forward to this project as I don't think it will be anywhere near as difficult to dial in the sound appropriately. We call our exhaust series the "Whisper" series for a reason. It's not about loud db levels, its about "sound character".

R.
      12-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, I've got the matte grey Breytons, got the CF kidney grilles...might do the CF spoiler...I think it will be the CF tips for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
ethermal
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i sport package

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
ethermal - as Fireflyer239 alludes to, axleback sections are mostly about sound character. They can be good contributors to overall performance if the entire exhaust system is swapped for a performance setup but by themselves I would never market/sell an axleback to someone with the promise of butt dyno gains. A performance axleback can and should give gains but most folks(me included) would not consider a 5-6hp gain worth the price point. To your other note about sound we already have a great track record with our axleback for the 135i and I'll be honest that car was miserable to tune the sound for. We made 3 different prototype axleback sections with the sound dialed in different before we went to production with that piece. The twin turbo setup does not produce as desirable an exhaust note as the NA motor and the tt has drone from the factory in my opinion. I look forward to this project as I don't think it will be anywhere near as difficult to dial in the sound appropriately. We call our exhaust series the "Whisper" series for a reason. It's not about loud db levels, its about "sound character".

R.
If you get good quality sound clips both inside and outside I would like to hear. I am looking for a good quality sound as stated above.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #20
MarkkyyMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Would also be interested in seeing a mid-pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #21
Rat Fink
Private
Rep

Hi Rich,

Tried to to send you a message, but your PM box is full - No word from Scott this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
ekywong
Australia
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Any progress made in relation to a specific 125i/128i exhaust?
Appreciate 0