E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > halogen to xenon

12-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

halogen to xenon

I am about to buy a set of euro xenon headlights for my 2006 325i that has halogen lights. What else on top of these lights will I need to buy to make them work on my car and how much would this cost me?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
mojojosung
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: SG 328i

halogen to xenon conversion is a lot of work. I got my euro conversion through e90 Andy who makes plug n play conversions for halogen owners.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317302
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

It actually isn't so bad now. With new ballast coming out, it makes the halogen to xenon process a lot easier.

Did you just buy the headlight housing? (no oem ballast etc?)

Like above, e90 Andy can help you get a HID kit designed for BMW. This means that you don't need the relay harness (a lot of wires), and it will essentially be a plug and play system for you.

The new ballast for the BMW, has CANBUS technology built into it. This will trick the computer into thinking it still has the halogens, preventing an error to come up on the obc.

I have his kit as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Jaybreeze
Effin Mustang!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 Montego Blue

Just a little FYI also..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...version&page=3
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybreeze View Post
This is pretty interesting. I had a different set of issues, but the result of going elsewhere to have it fixed is the same. Same elsewhere as well (Damon).
      12-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I dealt with Andy and he has been very helpful.

Anything I needed, he sent it out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I dealt with Andy and he has been very helpful.

Anything I needed, he sent it out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I had to go through the whole housing and kit buying process thrice. I bought a set of Euros from Andy and he promised to send me his latest complete plug and play kit with the new ballast. A few days later, I get the package, with his old ballast and wiring harness, a badly scuffed housing and no angel eye bulbs (I eventually found out that it was a kit that Andy had sold Damon and was wanting to sell, so Andy sold them to me without giving me any info about the condition). I contacted him and he wanted an additional $150.00 for the new ballast, etc. I told him that I'd like to return the kit for a refund and he did end up selling the kit to someone else after 3 weeks. He gave me a complete and had me ship the package to his new buyer.

I contacted Jay, who had some lights for sale with Andy's new ballast. I paid him for the kit and he told me that Andy would send me the package with the complete conversion. I waited patiently for 5 weeks and no package. USPS status didn't show nothing more than "Package expected to be shipped. No information that we have received the package for shipping". J constantly kept in touch with me to check if I received the package and after 5 weeks of waiting, I contacted Jay & Andy and since Andy was the one that shipped the package out, he gave me a refund of my money again. Jay contacted me and told me if I was still interested, he would have Damon send me a package and I could pay for it after I receive the package. I agreed and Damon shipped the package which I received in 4 days.

In the meantime, Andy’s package arrived in a banged up package and broken tab. I contacted both Jay and Andy to let them know I received Andy’s package (after over 5 weeks), sent the pics of the banged up package as well as the broken tab. They agreed for me to ship that package to Jay, which I did.

Damon’s package arrived 2 days after Andy’s and in good shape. Packing was excellent. Checked out the kit and worked fine w/o errors, didn’t even need the error eliminators. I noticed some discoloration and a weird beam on the passenger side. Damon is working on getting me some replacement bulbs, possible D1S with an upgraded ballast.

Jay and Damon have definitely been extremely helpful and they certainly know what customer service is.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Since we are sharing, here's my experience (somewhat ongoing): Looked at buying a set of LCI xenons. Chatted with Andy, sent him a link to the lights I was considering. He said he'd make them plug and play. If I paid him in advance of him getting them he'd have everything ready and likely have them done within a day or two. I asked him to make sure and give me my extra bulbs since he was replacing some and recommended LUX. I paid and waited.

It took a few days for him to get the lights. Then the waiting on him starts. Week one of waiting ends. I ask for an update. He said he was busy with school and asked to delay a bit. I say OK. Then I see a thread pop up of him setting up his own lights that weekend and rolling around showing them off. Not the happiest. I also had a Friday off of work that I moved around so that I could take care of it.

Week 2. He delays a couple of days more. I say OK, but tell him of my deadline. I also (multiple times) asked him not to ship to my paypal address if possible, as nobody would be there during the day, and if so to not require signature. He tells me he'll send them. A couple days later, still nothing. I ask him if he shipped, he says not yet. Then he tells me that now his normal method of shipping won't make it in time and wants more money for expedited shipping. I am pissed with him, and tell him if he wanted to give good customer service he'd ship to get them there and swallow the difference. No dice. I have no leverage since I already paid and he has my product (big mistake). I pay him more and he ships to the paypal address signature required.

I ended up having to deal with the post office to get them to stop delivering mail and I picked them up when they came in, which still wasn't in time for Friday (this was Saturday, delivery would have been Monday). I get his package, and talk with him about setup. At that point I find out I have to splice in high beam wiring and a couple of resistors into my current wiring. That didn't make me happy as it isn't my definition of plug and play, but I let it go. I ask him to send me directions. He keeps having me look things up on the forums or gives me sloppy instructions. Half the time plus he doesn't answer phone calls, and he takes days to respond to emails. I'm left trying to figure it out myself.

I figured out for myself that he didn't ship me all of the parts I needed (left out yet a couple more resistors needed), and he didn't ship my extra parts (oem ballasts, oem angel eyes, oem D1S bulbs). I'm pissed and am able to find Damon. Thank god for him.

Damon gives me instructions, free ships me the resistors, and, over the course of a couple of weeks, is able to get Andy to ship me my parts. Since then I've found out that while Andy sold me LUX, his configuration of them ends up with them going out randomly on me, and when I told Damon, he said he's heard that from multiple buyers of Andy's products.

At this point I'm going to send my lights to Damon. He has a process that will use my D1S bulbs and make things true plug and play, so no more resistors, and with the ballasts hooked up to the lights instead of finding a place on my bumper cover or wherever to mount.. He's testing to make sure it won't have problems a bit longer term before he actually goes through with this, but yay for him. He really does know customer service, as Rambalu said. Before I send him my lights I'm going to remove my parts from Andy and put them up for sale. The parts are fine, but with LCI they don't end with plug and play. LUX are nice, but not if the wattage makes the car unhappy. Live and learn.
      04-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
puffer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i N51

sorry to bring up an old thread.
I have had similar problems with andy
How do I get a hold of Damon to help me out?

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

yeah i did the conversion.

I used
US BMW xenons
d1S bulbs
Canbus ballasts
also have error cancelors but got no errors with just the ballasts so I didnt use them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
yeah i did the conversion.

I used
US BMW xenons
d1S bulbs
Canbus ballasts
also have error cancelors but got no errors with just the ballasts so I didnt use them.
How much did all of this run you? Where did you get the parts from? I just picked up an 07 sedan ...

Help a brother out!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

if you guys want, contact Jay he's handling the conversions while Damon is on military duties. PM me and will get you in contact with him. He just sold a conversion to a buddy. also, he just recieved a shipment of the full conversion kits the other day because i recieved the new D1s bulbs he upgraded my bulbs to d1s for 75 for both bulbs. i do know he's well stocked on lights bc hes workign on a custom black out for pre lci, no more amber and will be blacked with LED angels.
Appreciate 0