E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Africa > good tinting place

10-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
nabeel333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330 MT

good tinting place

hey guys...im not really a huge fan of tinting because it is hard to see out at night when reversing...etc but the sun is killlling me during the day so i need to get some tinting done....can anyone advise me a good place to get it done or if u used them for ur car ccan u post a pic...also...what is a good tint percentage...?.....any input would b appreciated...thanks nabeel
      10-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Keith
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (E90)

I've investigated various companies that do window tinting in the Cape with the two main contenders were AutoArmor Security Films and SolAce DefensePak. I forgot to mention, I was in the market for security tint, not just normal tint due to the increase in hijackings and stonings in the Cape.

My wife has AutoArmour Security Film on her Jazz because that's what Honda Tygerberg uses. I decided to go with SolAce for the following reasons:
  1. Used them before on my Opel Kadett with no issues.
  2. Approved and used by Forsdicks BMW Tygervalley and they've therefore done loads of E90s.
  3. Better quality and thicker (136 micron) film than AutoArmour. AutoArmour has recently brought in a 200 micron film, but I wasn't going to take that one because it contains stainless steel flakes which could cause problems with reception. Furthermore, because they cannot use security film on the rear window due the curvature, they cannot guarentee that the rear window film will colour match the new thicker film on the side windows.

I installed 35% DefensePak film on Thursday and am happy with the initial results. I'm very happy with effects it has on the interior with regards to the decrease in light without being too dark and garish styling wise. If you walked past the car (with it's black leather interior) in the bright Cape summer sun, you really have to stand very close and shade your eyes to see whatevers lying on the seats. That's also what I wanted.

I've yet to clean the inside of the windows to fully inspect the film due to the curing time, but as soon as I've done it, I'll let you know if I have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
nabeel333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330 MT

hey thanks so much keitch...,....would u mind posting some pics of ur car.....we both have the same colour so i just wanted to see how 35% looks...thanks