2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

10-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

Just got an invitation from my dealer to a "BMW Salon Event" on November 3. This and the X5 just don't hold much appeal to me.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I saw it yesterday at my dealer's grand re-opening. It's growing on me. It looks much better in person than in any picture I've seen, and it's filled with very cool features.

The one at the dealer was Space Gray with black interior. The trunk/hatch is very handy, and the rear seat room with individual reclining buckets is tremendous.

Still, I'm not sure they're positioning it properly in the marketplace. I understand that it's the first of the new 5 Series and is starting off in the most premium mode, but this car would be more appealing to me if it were equipped differently.

How about as a super-efficient "all purpose" family car? As much as I admire the twin turbo V8, I'd like the car better if it had a diesel that could get over 30mpg on the highway. X-drive would be handy, too. From a size perspective, it looks to have almost the same amount of cargo room as the X5, but the GT's lower profile and weight would make it a better, more efficient highway cruiser. The hot rod powertrain seems out of place with the look and utility of the body.

It reminds me of the old SAAB 9000 in terms of utility potential. SAAB sold a lot more cars when they positioned their product as the thinking man's sport sedan. With everybody running away from trucks these days, there may be a place for this kind of car again. I think BMW should reposition it to attract that kind of buyer. I bet they'd sell more of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
How about as a super-efficient "all purpose" family car? As much as I admire the twin turbo V8, I'd like the car better if it had a diesel that could get over 30mpg on the highway. X-drive would be handy, too. From a size perspective, it looks to have almost the same amount of cargo room as the X5, but the GT's lower profile and weight would make it a better, more efficient highway cruiser. The hot rod powertrain seems out of place with the look and utility of the body.

It reminds me of the old SAAB 9000 in terms of utility potential. SAAB sold a lot more cars when they positioned their product as the thinking man's sport sedan. With everybody running away from trucks these days, there may be a place for this kind of car again. I think BMW should reposition it to attract that kind of buyer. I bet they'd sell more of them.
The main problem with this "car" is it weighs nearly 5,000 lbs with V8 and all wheel drive. It's really an SUV in everything but looks. It is aimed at the European market where SUVs are not PC in many countries.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Eddie Reed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i GT

Drive one then you will understand. This comes from a guy that had both a 2008 550i and 2009 335i. Gave them both up for this beast and do not regret it for a second.
Appreciate 0