E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > M3post member Z4Dave's 08 Alpine White M3 w/ Swissvax Glacier

10-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

M3post member Z4Dave's 08 Alpine White M3 w/ Swissvax Glacier

I completed this car last weekend. It was quite nice to work on.. a VERY well maintained car. I would say it was already at 85% but the owner wanted it as perfect as possible, and to pay attention to certain things, like the black trim, carbon roof, and really bringing the gloss white out of the M3.

This car is very tastefully modded with ecu flash, Dinan header back exhaust, filter, and all black badges inside/out. Beautiful black/white combo!

Anyways, on with the pictures..!

When I first got the car Friday morning:

(Notice how only the inside tip is dirty. That's because even Dinan has a little form over function in them! Since it's a straight piped exhaust, to increase flow it only goes to one pipe, instead of flowing to both--I thought it was really cool!)

Minor dirt build up:

Tire sling:

Wheels not bad at all:

The owner had requested I pay particular condition to the engine bay. As he's an enthusiast of detailing, he has a fair amount of products. One is black wow. Unfortunately he applied this to the engine bay. And knowing how finiky black wow is to work with.. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty!! Smearing galore...

Before:

I first pressure rinsed the engine bay down, then sprayed a liberal amount of P21S TAW to all surfaces.

While that was dwelling, I went ahead and foamed the car. I did this with a heavy concentration of Optimum Power Clean due to the owner keeping the car freshly sealed and waxed with a JS109/Swissvax Glacier combination.

Everything was then pressure rinsed down, including the engine bay I pulled the car inside for a lightly claying. It wasn't too bad, but I wanted to be sure I had a perfectly clean surface, I chose Sonus Green poly clay for the lack of contamination on the paint, and the soft texture of the clay.

After the car was taped, I attempted to take pictures of the defects. The car, as I said, was in very good condition, but had a decent amount of RIDS clusters and some light wash marring.

On with the polishing! I figured I'd use the "money combo" on this car with P0203s and a PFW pad. It wasn't cutting it! I ended up stepping the combination to the following three step: 3M UK Fast Cut Plus and a 3M UK Green Pad, with some areas requiring a PFW pad, followed by M205 with a LC Black pad on the Flex DA, and then to gain the level of gloss both the owner and I were after, I finished it off with 3M Ultrafina and a 3M UK Blue pad.

Some 50/50's before ultrafina.

Another pass was made to ensure those last few RIDS were taken care of.

I pulled it back in to continue polishing. Getting the front bumper:

The condition of the black trim on the mirrors:

Generally speaking most cars of the same make, the jet black, or basic gloss black paint will be softer than the other colors. Using this idea, I didn't go nearly as aggressive with the black trim. I used a 3M UK Green pad and PO203S, Followed by M205 on both 3M UK Yellow, and finally again on 3M UK Blue pads to ensure correction, and ample gloss.

After:

Black trim around windows before:

During:

After:

Then I turned to the carbon roof. Take percautions with heat transfer, I used 3M FC+ and a 3M UK Green pad, followed by 3M Yellow pad and 205, and then 3M Blue and ultrafina.

Before:

After:

Moving on to the trunk:

I didn't take many progress shots, as shooting with the brinkman, and even flash, after the whole care was polished, was making just bright white screens and no actual correction shots. So I gave up on the rest of the durings, and was counting on the sun being there when I was done.

The first layer of protection for the car was two coats of Blackfire AFPP applied with the Flex DA and a LC Gold pad:

Blackfire worked in to the paint and left to cure:

While it was curing I moved on to the glass. It was polished with a combination of Werkstat Prime, and topped with Blackfire AFPP. Here's prime:

I then moved on to the engine bay. Seeing what black wow had done to the plastic covers, I tried my new go-to trim dressing, Poorboys Trim Restorer. Here's a 50/50 of the engine cover:

What I like about the poorboys is even though it seems to be oil based, it's not nearly as thick as black wow. And it's easily buffed off glass--unlike black wow. Also, once you've applied it to the surface, if you buff it dry, it will leave a perfect satin finish. Adding UV protection, AND good looks!

After:

I then buffed off the AFPP and let it cure. Last time I went straight from AFPP to a Nuba it hazed like no other. So I gave it some "cool down" time so to speak. So I moved on to the interior. Not much was needed because it was in great condition. I vacuumed and groomed the carpets. And cleaned/conditioned the seats with GI Leather cleaner and satin leather polish.

Before:

After:

Even the trunk was taken care of:

Taking care of the details:

Some of the other details included 1Z Gummi Pfledge on the seals, Acrylic Jett on the wheels, and megs HD 2:1 on the tires/wheel wells. Exhaust was polished with M205.

The owner supplied Swissvax Glacier as a final topper.

Afters: (warning.. I got a little overzealous)

Black mirror trim:

Thanks for looking!

As always, C/C welcome!

Aaron
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
X1 Trojan
Go Dodgers?
Rep
Drives: '13 BSM X1 xdrive35i Msport

looks clean!
      10-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
kei169
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

looks clean!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
nikku
Detailing Nerd
Canada
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

Aaron... tsk tsk tsk getting better each time I see your details. Your write ups are getting really really good. I'll have to copy some of your editorial styles

Great work Aaron. Keep them coming.

Cheers,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Looks fantastic!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Nice work
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

nice work, white is really hard to detail

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Awesome work Aaron! Car looks great!

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
nice work aaron.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 Trojan View Post
looks clean!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kei169 View Post
looks clean!
Thanks Kei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
Aaron... tsk tsk tsk getting better each time I see your details. Your write ups are getting really really good. I'll have to copy some of your editorial styles

Great work Aaron. Keep them coming.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks a lot Nick! Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Looks fantastic!!!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
Nice work
Thanks!