E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Performance Exhaust too quiet?

10-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
BMW Performance Exhaust too quiet?

hey guys recently i just installed bmw performance exhaust it's been 3 days but i still think it's too quiet?

in cabin with windows rolled up i hear no exhaust noise as if it is stock.

when i have my windows rolled down barely noticeable as if it's not even there.

after taking it to high RPMs the intake sound much louder

is it supposed to be like that? ive heard great things about the exhaust but it's barely noticeable comparing to OEM for non-turbo btw.

help?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Funny, this is the exact reason why I'd even consider the BMW Performance exhaust. If you want turn-your-head loud, it's not the one to get.

Just drive about 4K RPM all the time, and I'm sure it's loud enough.
      10-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
well i don't want some loud ensinmann race exhaust. ive done lots of research watched tons of videos on the bmw performance. some how all the video seemed to be louder than my exhaust that i have right now. it woudl be nice to hear little prr (not excessively too much) when i step on the accerator.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Give it some more time to be broken in man, it's too early to tell if it's too quiet IMO.
      10-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

I assume you installed the full system incl the resonator delete?
I love mine, just perfect for my taste. Quiet when and where you want it to be, growling when you feel "spirited". Love it to death, good combo with the perf. intake.
      10-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yea i installed the full system brand new with res delete. i have injen intake. don't think would be much different from perf intake.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
mikki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 330

I installed mine on last Saturday. I think it sounds great and hope it doesn't get any louder
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Had mine for a week now - too early to decide if it's perfect...but definitely better than stock. I like the fact I can go on long weekly family trips to hockey games without any intrusive drone in the cabin
(but you can hear a difference, especially some low-end grunt accelerating from 2-3K in 5/6th)

Cold starts can absolutely be heard in the cabin

Blips for rev-match can be heard in the cabin, and by my neighbours

Haven't decided if I like the "burbling" / small backfires with engine breaking...may be a little over the top.

Hoping to meet someone with the perf intake to see what subtle effect that has.

Anyway - no regrets for the $.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Had mine on since June and it's just right as far as sound goes. I can really hear it in the cabin unless my windows are rolled down, which is what's great about it. The exhaust does sound great from the outside. Stand outside and have a friend drive your car around, you'll be in for a suprise.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #10
mikki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 330

I'm not sure if I like the burbling either. Will it stop after awhile?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
I'm not sure if I like the burbling either. Will it stop after awhile?
probably not.

to OP, just wait for it to break in... and if that doesnt work... sell ur exhaust to me.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #12
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
Give it some more time to be broken in man, it's too early to tell if it's too quiet IMO.
+1
      10-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #13
whn
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

if you want turn head loud you should get ACS or remus
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
AGT SMTH
Just 1's and 0's...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 6MT

Thumbs down BMW "Performance" exhaust sucks!

Agree with OP. The BMW Performance exhaust sucks. (Mental note: revise review on my website. Wrote it with optimistic dreams when still convinced it would eventually sound good after break-in.)

Had mine for 3 weeks now, well over 1000 miles, and it's WAY too quiet for a *%$#@%! $1,500 system.

Idle? Can't hear a thing. Can't feel a thing.

Casual driving with windows closed? Can't hear a thing.

Casual driving with all windows wide open? Can vaguely hear a fart pipe (is that the Civic next to me?).

Full WOT with windows closed? Can vaguely hear a fart pipe (is that the Civic next to me?)

Full WOT with all windows wide open? Can hear something. Is that me?

...but after paying $1,500 for an exhaust system, I shouldn't have to go to full throttle with all windows open to even hear it.

This afternoon I gave my boss a ride to the airport (it was my little way of saying "We'll all miss you! Have a great time for the next week at the conference!"). I told him I'd modified the intake and exhaust and he didn't believe me. I was honestly embarassed.

Yet somehow the BMW Performance exhaust gets rave reviews over and over. WTF??? I'm not expecting the car to sound like a Chevy 350 with Flowmasters, but still--WTF???

Given that I'm an ex-Corvette driver who likes the sound of open headers, can anyone suggest an alternative that's perhaps "too loud" by the average BMW "enthusiast" standards? Muffler delete? What do I have to lose, at this point...? The BMW Performance exhaust might be considered an "aggressive" note to someone in a nursing home, but not to anyone who's ever described their ideal Friday night as test 'n tune at the local dragstrip. What a friggin joke. Pissed away cash.
2009 328i E90 6MT | Black / Sports Package | BMWPP Intake, Exhaust, STB, Short Shift Kit, pedals, brake lever, ZHP shift knob | Zeckhausen CDV | Cool Carbon Pads | Alpine / Earthquake / MB Quart / Kenwood
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
FrankiE90
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAerodynamic View Post
hey guys recently i just installed bmw performance exhaust it's been 3 days but i still think it's too quiet?

in cabin with windows rolled up i hear no exhaust noise as if it is stock.

when i have my windows rolled down barely noticeable as if it's not even there.

after taking it to high RPMs the intake sound much louder

is it supposed to be like that? ive heard great things about the exhaust but it's barely noticeable comparing to OEM for non-turbo btw.

help?

what!
didn't u have an Eisemann and just sell it because u said it was
to loud...
not that much difference / slight difference.
look at Andy@LTBMW video with Eisemann and BMW Performance comparison.
They say it takes a couple of weeks for the BMW Exhaust to break-in.
sound wise. Mine got a bit full'r / louder.
Personally I like the gurggle and pop.
      10-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
r1200c/335i/318ti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318ti/r1200c/335i

Garage List
1996 318ti  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGT SMTH View Post
Agree with OP. The BMW Performance exhaust sucks. (Mental note: revise review on my website. Wrote it with optimistic dreams when still convinced it would eventually sound good after break-in.)

Had mine for 3 weeks now, well over 1000 miles, and it's WAY too quiet for a *%$#@%! $1,500 system.

Casual driving with all windows wide open? Can vaguely hear a fart pipe (is that the Civic next to me?).

Full WOT with windows closed? Can vaguely hear a fart pipe (is that the Civic next to me?)

...but after paying $1,500 for an exhaust system, I shouldn't have to go to full throttle with all windows open to even hear it.

This afternoon I gave my boss a ride to the airport (it was my little way of saying "We'll all miss you! Have a great time for the next week at the conference!"). I told him I'd modified the intake and exhaust and he didn't believe me. I was honestly embarassed.

Yet somehow the BMW Performance exhaust gets rave reviews over and over. WTF??? I'm not expecting the car to sound like a Chevy 350 with Flowmasters, but still--WTF???

Given that I'm an ex-Corvette driver who likes the sound of open headers, can anyone suggest an alternative that's perhaps "too loud" by the average BMW "enthusiast" standards? Muffler delete? What do I have to lose, at this point...? The BMW Performance exhaust might be considered an "aggressive" note to someone in a nursing home, but not to anyone who's ever described their ideal Friday night as test 'n tune at the local dragstrip. What a friggin joke. Pissed away cash.
Sorry you are unhappy with your exhaust.
There is a tread somewhere that talk about removing (or disconnecting) the "attenuator" (it is like loudness control) located in the trunk. Perhaps the shop did not disconnect that. You may want to advise them of this.
I have the performance exhaust and I find it too loud at time. Windows down, I clearly can hear.
As a matter of fact, since I had it installed, people who knew my car from before, tell me that there is "something wrong" with my muffler.
Another possibility is your engine. I am not sure if the 328 would have as much response (noise/loudness) as the 335's turbos.
In any case, I suggest you speak to the shop about this.
I will post the link to the thread that talks about the "attenuator" if I find it.

good luck!

335i-e92 |TiAg |ZSP |ZPP |NAV |CA |PDC
Gray Pop.Wood |HD Radio |Rear Shade |Cold Weather
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
HapaVibe
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Agree with OP. The BMW Performance exhaust sucks.
I suggest you and the OP get to an audiologist and have your hearing checked. Perhaps too much ear wax buildup.

But seriously, I've had the Performance exhaust on my 328i for about three weeks now and it's quite noticeable. There must be some problem with your equipment or your installation if you're not hearing any difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #18
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaVibe View Post
I suggest you and the OP get to an audiologist and have your hearing checked. Perhaps too much ear wax buildup.

But seriously, I've had the Performance exhaust on my 328i for about three weeks now and it's quite noticeable. There must be some problem with your equipment or your installation if you're not hearing any difference.
Maybe the shop fucked with him and never installed the exhaust.

I have it on my car and the sound is very noticable to anyone outside the car and with my windows down I can clearly hear it. What I love about the exhaust is that it's not intrusive, so with my windows up I can have a converstion and not have it drowned out by the exhaust note.

I'm telling you stand outside and have a friend do a roll by in your car. You will love what you hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

yea i agree with you. i mean i want an exhaust where i can hear. even with my windows rolled down the wind noise is just louder than my exhaust.

as matter of fact my intake sounded louder than the exhaust. with windows rolled up yes i can have convo with my friend.. cause my exhaust makes NO noise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiE90 View Post
what!
didn't u have an Eisemann and just sell it because u said it was
to loud...
not that much difference / slight difference.
look at Andy@LTBMW video with Eisemann and BMW Performance comparison.
They say it takes a couple of weeks for the BMW Exhaust to break-in.
sound wise. Mine got a bit full'r / louder.
Personally I like the gurggle and pop.
i think something went wrong with installation? but i highly doubt it.. i mean comon what couldve gone wrong with exhaust installation. even if it leaks shouldn't it be louder?..LOL

yea.. i never installed the eisenmann wish i had.. now that i moded my car so much my dad can careless LOL.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1200c/335i/318ti View Post
Sorry you are unhappy with your exhaust.
There is a tread somewhere that talk about removing (or disconnecting) the "attenuator" (it is like loudness control) located in the trunk. Perhaps the shop did not disconnect that. You may want to advise them of this.
I have the performance exhaust and I find it too loud at time. Windows down, I clearly can hear.
As a matter of fact, since I had it installed, people who knew my car from before, tell me that there is "something wrong" with my muffler.
Another possibility is your engine. I am not sure if the 328 would have as much response (noise/loudness) as the 335's turbos.
In any case, I suggest you speak to the shop about this.
I will post the link to the thread that talks about the "attenuator" if I find it.

good luck!
that's actually only for 330 models as far as i know. the 325/328 doesnt' have the "attenuator"
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
Derek Zoolander
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M-Sport

Does everyone get it from Tischer?
It sounds great in sound clips..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #22
Saintor