BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
walkerkd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

Intake Scoops

Has anyone added these to their 128i? i see them for the 135i but yet to see them for the 128 or is anyone doing it??
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
I think its come to collective intuition that the scoops are considered an aesthetic mod and provide no performance gains so to answer the question I wouldn't see why you couldn't put them on your 128i... I think they look pretty sweet
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
walkerkd
Enlisted Member
Rep

so the guys who add them to their 128s just get the ones for the 135 and add?? seems they would help on the 128 forcing more air into the intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Jcrewsn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerkd View Post
so the guys who add them to their 128s just get the ones for the 135 and add?? seems they would help on the 128 forcing more air into the intake.
This is one of the most highly debated things on this forum haha. Everyone has their own opinion about the effectiveness of intake systems, but I don't see why it would hurt. I think if you have DCI it won't matter, but it could help with the factory air box...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
walkerkd
Enlisted Member
Rep

i think i will need to look at this in more depth. should be some benefits to be gained there for a NA car for sure. More research is needed..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

It's difficult to measure the exact gains from the scoops alone because they perform at speed so a Dyno, even with a fan, is largely irrelevant. I have found that it helps direct more air to my open air aFe DCI and have had good feedback from other customers that use it. It's an easy and small upgrade that I think is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Just putting it straight in terms of logic:
Any intake system is designed to both provide and limit the amount of air to enter the mixture to match the designated AFR by the cpu and sensors. The AFR is set to what 11:1? or was it 12.1:1 (forgot; it could be different to each region too!) for the n52 128i and anything relatively above or below the set number will lead to flagging and engine check lights for an n/a fuel injected engine such as ours.

This will go for scoops, air systems, short ram intakes, cold air intakes, and the likes for the n52 128i. Any of these may change the AFR. By doing so, two things can happen. 1) It could benefit the system by providing the extra air needed to match up to the AFR (aka not push extra air in, but push the air lacking in). 2) It could not benefit the system by pushing in excess air relative to the AFR and cause engine check lights to light up and just make things annoying. Anything that changes the airflow and/or AFR, in order to be fully utilized--and flags avoided--, requires a reflash of the ECU. This includes parts for the air intake and even the exhaust.

Pushing in extra air won't be beneficial and you won't see any "gains" from it unless you reflash your ecu and account for the extra increase in airflow. However, the scoops and/or other 3rd party parts could help in such a circumstance even if you don't reflash: Say your atmosphere has experienced a decrease in oxygen significant enough for you to notice that your engine doesn't respond as quickly, etc. The scoops could help you get it back to responding as it would with normal oxygen levels in the atmosphere. It WONT give you "gains." My friend built a scoop for his s2k and he explained it perfectly: It feels like I'm driving at night, but during the day (cooler air at night). In general, you won't receive any gains if you don't reflash, but you may generally feel a more preppy responsiveness.

We've talked about this for the injen short ram intake, and realized people weren't gaining anything but better sound and engine check lights. The thing that's questioning me is that just installing the scoop wouldn't really do anything since the stock intake system is still in place. That intake is designed as a filter to LIMIT the amount of air to enter, so blowing a fan at it (like how a scoop might scoop in air) would be pointless as the stock filter would just do its job and limit it out...... right?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

I'm with McReary in saying these "parts" are only truly effective when used together in a system. Intake flow and exhaust flow can be improved, but if the ECU cannot supply the extra fuel, lean conditions are created; more noise but no power increase. Now, if we can add the fuel with a good ECU flash or piggyback module, maybe we can get back our lost 30HP!!

An N52 reflash could perhaps be available for both Stock or Stage 1 (free flow intake/exhaust). In any case, the plug-and-play potential of these simple mods will only be known when someone can issue an ECU flash suitable for the mods I mentioned, and do a test with dyno or strip times.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #9
Yuzi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

I think the scoops are useless unless you replace/mod ur sensors and ecu

I'll make it simple.

Let say you can take 5 cups of water in 1min because you throat is big. Now you want to drink more than 5 , you bring in 10. You are still able to drink 10 cups but because of the size of you throat it will take you more then 2min to drink. Therefore in order to drink 10 cups of water in 1min you will have to increase the size of your throat.

The water is like the air and the throat is your intake/sensors/ecu. So only adding the volume or air is not enough because you car cannot make use out of them.

128i | Jet Black | Premium package | Sport package | 18" Style 263 | 6MT | Injen Intake | BMS PowerBox |SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
walkerkd
Enlisted Member
Rep

wow! same controversy as exhaust scavenging on the valve covers (crank case). but ive dynoed that with turbo stangs and it works, but like someone mentioned earlier hard to say with just fans on a dyno. ok thanks for all the info.!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

scoops are useless, as mentioned above already by yuzi.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowiix View Post
scoops are useless, as mentioned above already by yuzi.
Just to add that scoops are really useless, a much more useless than the most of fancy SRI/CAI intakes in 99% of cases.
Appreciate 0