E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Individual Audio vs Logic7 E91

09-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

Individual Audio vs Logic7 E91

Hi

Now that the colour has been decided space grey I think, I am still looking at the my final spec before the car goes to build. I feel that while L7 is very good its only as good as what you would expect as standard, will the Individual audio make a huge improvement??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Cant comment on Indi, but I am very happy with L7.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I would say that the 'standard' system should not even exist. The hi-fi option is what should be fitted a standard.

I have logic 7 in my M3 and it really is excellent, especially once you get the EQ settings set yo your personal preference and music styles. The bass is deep and powerful, the highs nice and crisp. Sound stage is well balanced with the centre speaker helping out. To me it is not perfect, but on the balance of quality per £, then the logic 7 is great value. Not sure how much better the indi can be for almost twice the money. Doubt it will twice as good?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
remember it can't be retrofitted?

I have Logic 7 and its the easily the best sound i have heard in a car. Yes it might be slightly bass light for some music genres (those like a thumpin' bass) but its truly excellent on spoken word.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

OK, I have experience of both, having had L7 in my 335i and M6 and Individual in my M3.

A while back when I first took delivery of my M6 (and thus 'downgraded' from Individual to L7) I posted that maybe Individual wasn't worth extra cash as L7 appeared to be good enough.

However, on reflection, whilst Individual is not twice as good as L7, it is markedly better in many respects which only became apparent after living with them for a period of time:

1. Bass / midrange - whilst not appearing to be as 'bassy' as L7, Individual provides a much crisper and more defined bass. At first it seems that it's less 'powerful' but experience told me that's just not the case; the quality of the bass on the Individual system is tight, solid and stays the same at all volumes. In L7, the bass is more muffled, less 'tight' and loses it's effect as the volume increases.

2. Volume - Individual is LOUD...and keeps it's bass and clarity as you turn the volume up. In isolation, L7 is great....but not once you've experienced Individual.

3. Top end / treble...Individual is much crisper and you can hear all the sounds you're meant to. Again, L7 sounds great in isolation but if you've heard Individual you'll realise L7 is simply less clear!

Let's put it this way, when I buy my next BMW it WILL have Individual Audio. If you like your in-car sounds, and I assume you do if you're even considering spending over £1k on an upgrade, you will be more than happy with L7. But if your budget allows you to have Individual then BUY IT...you won't just be happy; when you turn up the volume you will be amazed.

Interestingly, my C63 has L7 (branded as Harmon Kardon which is who make L7 and Individual). It doesn't have the under seat subs that the BMW's have but it has much larger speakers in all the doors. It does sound better than the L7 did in my M6 (the surround effect in particular is much more impressive) but overall it's not as good as the Individual I had in the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

Thanks for the replies, esp good to get a direct comparison of the two systems Palmball. I like my 'tunes' and once spent around 2k and several months fitting a system into a xsara!! it never was perfect as the car itself would resonate with any volume
I think I'll be contacting the dealer to upgrade hopefully it won't push delivery beyond what the dealer will tolerate (ie registration targets)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
OK, I have experience of both, having had L7 in my 335i and M6 and Individual in my M3.

A while back when I first took delivery of my M6 (and thus 'downgraded' from Individual to L7) I posted that maybe Individual wasn't worth extra cash as L7 appeared to be good enough.

However, on reflection, whilst Individual is not twice as good as L7, it is markedly better in many respects which only became apparent after living with them for a period of time:

1. Bass / midrange - whilst not appearing to be as 'bassy' as L7, Individual provides a much crisper and more defined bass. At first it seems that it's less 'powerful' but experience told me that's just not the case; the quality of the bass on the Individual system is tight, solid and stays the same at all volumes. In L7, the bass is more muffled, less 'tight' and loses it's effect as the volume increases.

2. Volume - Individual is LOUD...and keeps it's bass and clarity as you turn the volume up. In isolation, L7 is great....but not once you've experienced Individual.

3. Top end / treble...Individual is much crisper and you can hear all the sounds you're meant to. Again, L7 sounds great in isolation but if you've heard Individual you'll realise L7 is simply less clear!

Let's put it this way, when I buy my next BMW it WILL have Individual Audio. If you like your in-car sounds, and I assume you do if you're even considering spending over £1k on an upgrade, you will be more than happy with L7. But if your budget allows you to have Individual then BUY IT...you won't just be happy; when you turn up the volume you will be amazed.

Interestingly, my C63 has L7 (branded as Harmon Kardon which is who make L7 and Individual). It doesn't have the under seat subs that the BMW's have but it has much larger speakers in all the doors. It does sound better than the L7 did in my M6 (the surround effect in particular is much more impressive) but overall it's not as good as the Individual I had in the M3.
Excellent write-up. Very helpful. Thank you!
Appreciate 0