E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > M Sport Package Longevity

09-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E90 M-Sport

M Sport Package Longevity

I am looking at the M Sport Package Le Mans Blue with Oyster and Black interior and Brushed Aluminum trim.

Although the all black headliner and light leather interior look nice, it looks like a nightmare to keep clean.

What's people experience with this?

Do you have to dust/clean often the black interior/headliner?

How do you keep the light color leather clean?

Right now, I have beige interior/leather. It is not that painful. Just wondering if I am signing up for a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

The headliner shouldn't be a big deal.

Oyster is tougher to keep looking new. Obviously, dirt shows up and dye transfer (from jeans especially) is a problem. I don't want to discourage you, and there are ways to keep it looking good. But you'll need to clean it somewhat often. Leatherique is a great product for cleaning/protecting leather.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
The headliner shouldn't be a big deal.

Oyster is tougher to keep looking new. Obviously, dirt shows up and dye transfer (from jeans especially) is a problem. I don't want to discourage you, and there are ways to keep it looking good. But you'll need to clean it somewhat often. Leatherique is a great product for cleaning/protecting leather.
I want brutal honesty here.

I don't allow eating or drinking in the car, and kids can go inside the car without shoes.

I am looking for a nice combination of colors that look nice for a long time with minimum maintenance during normal use. Right now, I do two major seasonal leather treatments, and maintenance cleaning when it starts to show dust/dirt.

If you are telling me that "somewhat often" requires me to clean the leather once a week, that's a bit much.

What about the black area around the legs and the pedals. Wouldn't it look worse with winter snow and salt than a beige interior?

Regarding the Leatherique products, what do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have grey leather interior with grey carpet. I will never buy another car with light colors again. I use leatherique products which helps keep the leather nice but all of the things you are concerned about are issues. Especially kids and their feet against the back of front seats, etc.

You don't have to do a major clean every week. Most stuff simply cleans up with a moist micro fiber cloth and elbow grease. The drivers seat tends to get dirty easily and it shows every speck of dirt. Black is much easier to care for so if you are concerned I would look for darker colors.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have had my car with Oyster interior with half a year now and so far I haven't cleaned my leather and it still looks great. The Oyster leather should be easier to maintain than your Beige interior since Oyster has the twin tone. If you are still concerned about this color, have you considered Saddle Brown? It will go very well with your Le Mans Blue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As I write this, I am looking at the Chestnut Brown and Saddle Brown in the configurator.

In the website, the Chestnut Brown looks better with the black headliner and the brushed aluminum trim. But it is a bold color.

The Saddle Brown looks nice too, but it is more "serious" or subtle, if you know what I mean.

Is there a place with pictures of these combinations in real life? I don't think I will be able to see this in person in the dealer floor.

I am still curious about the black carpet on the floors. Snow and salt will kill that in no time. What are the suggestions for maintaining that (short of putting a plastic cover )?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
E90RWC
What you know about the twins?
Rep
Drives: bmw

I always ordered my BMWs with Black interiors, but this time I went with a light interior.

My previous 335 had black interior, I kept it super clean, and it was clean until the day I returned it. It didn't have any scuffs on the interior or stains. It would show a lot of little specs of dust though and it annoyed me, but it hid the larger things.

I am anal about keeping my interior clean.

My gray interior now, it seems more welcoming and fresh and hides the tiny stuff. But if you come in with a dirty shoe, it will show quickly. It also hides scuffs better on the doors and door sills.

I enjoy the black headliner, but it does show some dirtiness when your skin brushes against it, it leaves a white mark, but it can be cleaned quickly.

M-Sport steering wheel is naturally more dry than the regular sport steering wheel. I love it. I constantly wipe it down with a damp microfiber to keep it dry and sorta rough, instead of slick and greasy!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
vod74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i XDrive (F40)

i've had this package 10 months..i have never had to dust or clean the headliner. the seats are black, so they're easy to maintain.

i wouldn't say you're signing up for a nightmare just go for it
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

I have Oyster and it is no big deal. You have the black carpets so the headache of keeping light colored carpets clean is gone. I have had it since April and have only cleaned the leather once. It looks brand new. The color is awesome. Don't listen to the doomsayers.

If you like it, get it. You will just need to maintain it from time to time. Small price to pay for the color you really want.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Cars get dirty. Don't drive your kids crazy trying to have them "Behave". No shoes is a bit much.

I used to let them eat dry foods in the car and sippy cup drinks. Yeah, it would get sticky once in a while. Then you wipe it up.

Never make a kid feel you care more about the car then even their immediate needs.

Kids kick the back of the seats. Get over it.

Enjoy the car and clean it!

I have the brown/black combo and while the black shows dirt, the brown seats are great!

Black has no scuff marks, just "dirt/dust" and a damp towel can clean up in seconds.

Don't worry about the black headliner.

Oyster is very light and like the man said it will show.

I asked my wife what she thought of it and she said it looks good with white, light gray and black. She thinks it looks "feminine" and somthing like an Infiniti would have. She thought a white 'vert with the black oyster would be nice for a southern climate chick car. I like different combo's and considered it but can't fine an exterior color except black and I don't want a black car.

I saw an few 1970's old school BMW's recently in what would be Bluewater with black interior and thought I might do that combo.
Appreciate 0