E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > At the risk of sounding like a Novice

09-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
ydrive55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

At the risk of sounding like a Novice

So I have always taken the time and put the effort into hand washing my cars, so that I can make sure that the best materials are used, and that someone that actually cares about the car is maintaining it.

I use a two bucket system now thanks to the advice that I read on this forum, and generally use high quality (Mothers/Meguiar's) products that I can grab from my local pep boys. When it comes to using the buffing wheel, I would pay someone as I don't quite trust myself to polish and strip.

So my question is, on all the detailing FAQ's and advice articles, they all recommend a mitt for washing. I currently use a microfiber pad that attaches to a pole to make washing much faster and easier. Is there any reason that I should not be doing this, or is it just preference.

Anyhow that's really it.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydrive55 View Post
So I have always taken the time and put the effort into hand washing my cars, so that I can make sure that the best materials are used, and that someone that actually cares about the car is maintaining it.

I use a two bucket system now thanks to the advice that I read on this forum, and generally use high quality (Mothers/Meguiar's) products that I can grab from my local pep boys. When it comes to using the buffing wheel, I would pay someone as I don't quite trust myself to polish and strip.

So my question is, on all the detailing FAQ's and advice articles, they all recommend a mitt for washing. I currently use a microfiber pad that attaches to a pole to make washing much faster and easier. Is there any reason that I should not be doing this, or is it just preference.

Anyhow that's really it.

Thanks,
There are a couple reasons why I wouldn't recommend the microfiber pole/pad combination. First reason is, if you're using a pole you don't really have a feel for how much pressure you are using, and thus will use more than necessary which can cause marring of the paint. Second, with a microfiber pad there is no where for the dirt to go, you are essentially moving it against the paint. A grout sponge or sheep skin are much safer washing mediums, they do a much better job of keeping the dirt away from the paint. Also I like to use virtually no pressure, just glide the wash media along the paint. That's just my two cents, hope it helps!
      09-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
We generally use a mitt not only because it reduces marring, but also because it's easy to use. I don't think using a MF on a metal pole would make it go that much quicker. In fact, I'd be worried about scratching the paint with the pole, and probably would take longer using something like that. Why not try using a mitt and see how you do? Buy two of them.

Read the Detailing 101 sticky here, which has excellent "how to properly wash your car" instructions: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145