E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Reduced Power - Warning

09-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
Reduced Power - Warning

I know its common, and yes it happened to me today.

Last week it came on when I booted it a bit, but went straight off. Since then nothing.

Today it came on twice within 100 metres, but again disapeared almost immediatley, however I did feel it lose power very, very briefly.

During the last 2 weeks, it travels about 1 mile each way to work (My Mountain Bike is off the road at the moment).

Do you think this could be the fault - and it needs a bit of a "drive" to clear it out ?

If not what are the common things it may be?

Bear in mind my car is not under warranty

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post
I know its common, and yes it happened to me today.

Last week it came on when I booted it a bit, but went straight off. Since then nothing.

Today it came on twice within 100 metres, but again disapeared almost immediatley, however I did feel it lose power very, very briefly.

During the last 2 weeks, it travels about 1 mile each way to work (My Mountain Bike is off the road at the moment).

Do you think this could be the fault - and it needs a bit of a "drive" to clear it out ?

If not what are the common things it may be?

Bear in mind my car is not under warranty

It might be that the DPF is getting clogged with the short journeys, and you need an extended run to get the DPF to perform the self-clean process.

Otherwise, is the car mapped ?? There are a myriad reasons as to why you would get a 'reduced engine power' warning, but most of the serious issues, such as over/underboost, fuel pump malfunction, cylinder 5/6 misfires etc won't clear themselves without restarting the car. The fact the warning goes straight out again suggests there's something else... Could even be something as simple as dirty fuel...

Try a long run and see how it feels afterwards - that's a good starting point.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Cheers for the info, it has been doing short Journeys for the last 2 weeks really, which is when it started ?

Its not remapped at all no, I'm kinda hoping it is the DPF, so will take it out tonight for 50 miles or so, and give her a hearty run

Will then see if there is any change.

edit - Thinking about it, it did have a fuel fault which I had repaired last week, which was a split fuel pipe rail, that was renewed !!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Cheers for the info, it has been doing short Journeys for the last 2 weeks really, which is when it started ?

Its not remapped at all no, I'm kinda hoping it is the DPF, so will take it out tonight for 50 miles or so, and give her a hearty run

Will then see if there is any change.

edit - Thinking about it, it did have a fuel fault which I had repaired last week, which was a split fuel pipe rail, that was renewed !!

I wonder then if in the process of repairing the fuel rail whether they did anything to the fuel pump itself.... would be worth reporting this straight back to the dealer who worked on the car last week, so that they are aware that there is a potential problem. You are therefore covered under the warranty of that work carried out (assuming it was a BMW dealer who did the work)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Yes true, will give it a run and then if it flashes up again, I will get it in to them ASP !
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Took it for a spin, about 30mile, light did not come on once, however the first time I had chance to get it in 6th and push it a bit, it faultered, only once with no power for about 2 secs, and then was fine for the rest of the drive.

Like I say no light at all though ... but weird it had that slight faulter with no light, and then it was fine ?

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You probably heard of my calamities with the yellow engine light. It happened to me twice. What I did was after getting a service, put in some V-power super unleaded and went on some extended runs with some spirited driving, sorted it right out. Haven't had it since. Drive the car lazy and it'll be lazy, that's my motto.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
DeadEye
Welly Wanger
Rep
Drives: Velvet Blue 335i M-Sport

I've had this issue.

Not sure what car you have, mines a 335i.

Do you get a miss-fire or a lack of boost?

I had both. Miss-fire was eventually sorted with a new set of plugs which my stealer reckoned was fairly common (I had 27k on the clock) and the low boost/reduced power message was never explained to me by the dealer but was sorted. Getting info out of them is always a nightmare.

However, I suspect it was something to do with the dirty/fouled up intake/intake valves issue that these cars will all eventually suffer from.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Give it a good run across the ranges Craig, the 3070 is a great road, but you know that!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Its a 330d mine, and it was hard to determine as it was only a few seconds, but I think it was just a total loss of power, ie put your foot down, and its still slowing down .... but was literally 2 secs, and then all was fine, however there was no sign of any warning lights at all, and it never happened again for the rest of the drive.

the 3071 I think you mean (Wool - Lulworth) - lol, yes I need to take my new car down there soon, as I used to love it in my previous car, so this one should be fun too

The 3070 is from Lulworth Camp Down the Hill to the Cove, and is built up.

What I need to do is sort out a Track Day on the all weather Circuit we have here in Bovington ..... they had one here a few months ago for Charity.

Here:

http://www.openpitlane.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=8566

Get the Forum down there with some serious Cars .... lol.....got me thinking now !!!

Another Drive I think, and then if its still doing it - take it in this week to get looked at.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The 3070 is from Lulworth Camp Down the Hill to the Cove, and is built up.
I meant the 3070 from W Holme - E Lulworth, straight through the middle of the ranges

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
gotcha
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Give it a good run across the ranges Craig, the 3070 is a great road, but you know that!

That quote got me itching, so as there was not much doing I told the wife I was of for a spin, and popped out to give it another run down the 3070.....a few times.

Lovely Drive, with no problems at all ... fingers crossed it just needed a decent run out !
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Just got back from taking the Car in to be looked at.

Seems as though there are a number of electrical type errors showing up, and the main one is the Alternator - its on its way out, and not putting enough charge back in the Battery, battery and alternator both checked and both not good at all.

Suggestion is to replace the Alternator and Battery and that should clear the electrical faults including any reduced power warnings.

This is probably why I had a flat battery previous ?
After recharging it via a bump and a good run, I needed to finish the Job I was doing, so left the car idling while I finished the Job.
I then switched off, and went to restart it, and it was flat, after 20 mins of idlling !!
Thats when I took the Battery out and recharged it overnight for 14 hours (and thought I was locked out ..lol), but the disc was still in the Black after its charge, but was starting the engine fine, funnily enough the reduced power warnings started then?

Quote for replacing the Alternator and Battery ...... £679

I think I need to phone around a bit - I've had enough of cars at the moment.

Only 2 months ago I had to get the wifes MGF head renewed and a few other bits, which was £1400.

Roll on the end of 2009

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Where abouts is the location of the Alternator, in relation to me sat in the car?

Is it on the RH Side as I am sat in it, I'll tell you why I ask ..... when I picked the car up after having a fuel leak sorted out, the following day I took it for a decent run - about 40 miles or so and I had some smoke come from the bonnet on the right hand side whilst driving, after 2 mins it was gone and it was not loads ....... I assumed it was a spot of Diesel from the engine bay after the leak (as it was the first time the engine would have got hot enough really), but the guys where I took it told me they cleaned out the whole engine bay really well ?

Maybe it was the Alternator burning out, as after that - thats when it went flat etc, etc?

What an absolute nightmare I'm having with this car ...haha, a "comedy of errors".

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

that is really crap news for you, takes the 'joy' out of your purchase for sure. not something I've ever seen mentioned about the 330d before
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
that is really crap news for you, takes the 'joy' out of your purchase for sure. not something I've ever seen mentioned about the 330d before
Thats putting it mildly ..... I am sick of it right now , I bought it as I wanted a decent reliable family car of a decent make, ie BMW, as my previous car was getting a few problems, so was time to move on ......... to a car that has even more right now?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

get it back to the garage you bought it from Mate its just not right to have all these faults when you have just bought it ,I would kick some ass.
      09-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
craig2859
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
get it back to the garage you bought it from Mate its just not right to have all these faults when you have just bought it ,I would kick some ass.

Luckily its all covered under the 3 month Warranty I got, which was quite a high policy, and can be used at any garage within reason.

I phoned him today (bear in mind he is 300 mile away from me), and he has extended the warranty for me, and if there any other issues to call him direct.

Still not the point though, but hey at least he is helping out, it could be worse I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Good luck mate. There's nothing worse than having a car there and it being faulty. Especially within a month of buying it!!!

Hope you get it sorted and can start to ENJOY your car again.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Tough luck Craig.
I hope you get it sorted quickly

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sorry to hear of your woes mate. May I ask how old the car is and what mileage, how comprensive is the service history ? Also how many owners ?