E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AFE E90 Intake Review

Closed Thread

09-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335xi

Garage List
AFE E90 Intake Review

Installed the intake and all I can say is WOW! There is definately a gain with this intake. Atleast a minimum of 15HP. I know that sounds like alot and their are alot of non believers on this board but there is a huge gain from this intake. NO MORE 2K RPM FLAT SPOT!! The sound is amazing. It sounds like I have an exhaust and when full throttle the car just plain out screams and is loud as hell now. Very nice sounding and way noticable. I raced my buddys 330i. He lost by about 2.5 cars. Ill post up a video this weekend if he comes to the track. This is the largest filter I have ever seen. Literally huge, You can see in the pictures below....Hopefully Ill have some dyno graphs to show my numbers soon. THIS KIT IS !!! I promise you wont be disappointed.

PS I honestly wasnt expecting a gain from this. I just figured it would sound a little better. Boy was i wrong. Its way faster, really noticable and you can hear the intake inside the car and when under full throttle my neighbors could hear me ripping down the street a few blocks away...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
Good to hear! Are you planning to do any dyno on it?
      09-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

was his 330 an e46?
      09-15-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

that thing is not sealed??? i imagine how it would perform during the hot days.
      09-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

looks kinda like a fujita intake, but with an additional heat shield on the top. interested in seeing those dyno #'s.
      09-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
ahnh77
chichen
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325xi

15hp...is pretty unbelievable for a non turbo car..just by adding an intake...even 5hp would be pretty tough....yeah...need to see the dyno...maybe it was the throttle response you were noticing?...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

I find it hard to beleive that a 330xi beats a 330i with only an intake. Taking the number from BMW Canada's website, assuming both cars were autos, 330xi is heavier than 330i by 100kg, which is 220lb.

So you're saying that the additional power derived from this intake not only overcome the 220lb deadweight, but even more so that you beat a 330i by 2 1/2 car lengths?
      09-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

and it's cool that you put in a new intake, but please refrain from uneducated guess of the power increase, you say 15hp? how do you know, you can 'feel' the 15 hp?

we have seen too many threads with promised hp gain, but eventually ended up with nothing to show for those claims.

It would've been better for you to wait till you've dynoed the car to post this thread
      09-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
GreddyBoy858
Mack
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

BMW 2006 325i, 330i (E90) (I-6 2.5,3.0L) - AFE Stage 2 Intake
Part #: 54-11012

The 3 Series is BMW's top seller in the U.S., and for good reason. Endowed with world-class suspension, and steering components, these cars have an ability to communicate with their drivers that is unmatched in the entry-level luxury class and pretty much unmatched by most cars at any price range. Treat your BMW to some extra power with AFE's Cold Air Intake System.

Brushed Aluminum Housing
Up to 6.5 Horsepower Increase over stock
Heat Blocking Molded Intake tube
Fits BMW 2006 325i, 330i (E90) (I-6 2.5,3.0L)

Price $371.25

Well this is from an add for the intake...

UP TO 6.5 HP...

Still find that hard to swallow..
2006 BMW 325i / Jet Black / Black Dakota / Step / Nav w/ iDrive/ Premium / Sport / Sat Radio/ Adaptive Xenon Headlights / Debadged / Chrome Exhaust Tips / Rear Foglight Mod. / Rear DC Power Outlet Mod. / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Im POSITIVE there is a huge gain with this intake. Ill be getting dynos to prove my point also....Seems like you guys like to talk but no one likes to spend $ ....You guys do realize the stock airbox is extremely restrictive right? I mean really restrictive....Whats also crazy is im not even a vendor or anything and could careless but im reporting to you guys there is definately a noticable gain with this intake and you still find a way to shoot it down...?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any local 330xi's or 330i's? We will go to the dragstrip and ill pay your $25 fee to dragrace and we will take a video for the NON believers of this forum. PM ME....Intakes do make a difference esp this one since its open and just has a heatshield covering it..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
that thing is not sealed??? i imagine how it would perform during the hot days.
?? Did you look at the pics ??

Theres a heat shield over it for a reason.

Imagine how hot your black stock airbox gets....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnh77
15hp...is pretty unbelievable for a non turbo car..just by adding an intake...even 5hp would be pretty tough....yeah...need to see the dyno...maybe it was the throttle response you were noticing?...

For a non turbo car?? Wow, Research my friend....When my C6 Corvette was stock and just by changing the aitfilters to K&N it would blow your mind how much HP I gained from a little $50 mod........22HP. And yes the car was dynod and not my imagination. But I took the filter out anyway and did some major motor work and a supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

few questions

1.void warranty and all those?
2. Soundclip?, cause too loud is very disturbing
3. would it affect the relaibility of the car?, becuase that heat sheild is just a peice of metal and it's not sealed, would it get too hot or whatever?
i'm just worrying about the heat sheild, doens't look too protective....
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Maybe you're just a better driver than your friend? Did you guys try switching cars? 15HP for an intake seems like too big of a gain.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #16
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy
few questions

1.void warranty and all those?
2. Soundclip?, cause too loud is very disturbing
3. would it affect the relaibility of the car?, becuase that heat sheild is just a peice of metal and it's not sealed, would it get too hot or whatever?
i'm just worrying about the heat sheild, doens't look too protective....
1)No you will not void your warranty.
2)Its definately loud when you hit 3500rpm but its tough loud and sounds great. Yes I will for sure take some sound clips for you this weekend.
3)No, it does not affect the reliability of the car. It will make it if anything more reliable. It runs alot smoother as its able to "suck" in the right amount of air. Its not open, The heat shield covers it for several reasons. (Engine Heat/ so nothing gets sucked in thats not suppose too.) They also give you a sleeve the put over the filter if you want. Its really not needed but if you wanted to you could if it made you feel better.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #17
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLancaxX
1)No you will not void your warranty.
2)Its definately loud when you hit 3500rpm but its tough loud and sounds great. Yes I will for sure take some sound clips for you this weekend.
3)No, it does not affect the reliability of the car. It will make it if anything more reliable. It runs alot smoother as its able to "suck" in the right amount of air. Its not open, The heat shield covers it for several reasons. (Engine Heat/ so nothing gets sucked in thats not suppose too.) They also give you a sleeve the put over the filter if you want. Its really not needed but if you wanted to you could if it made you feel better.

well from the pic you posted, i can still see the blue filter under that sheet of metal....that's what makes me worry....haha.....like it's not sealed or nothin....

after dyno and sound clip is out.....i might consider this,

so where to get it agian?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #18
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Maybe you're just a better driver than your friend? Did you guys try switching cars? 15HP for an intake seems like too big of a gain.
Maybe iam a better driver than him. That could be it. But we raced from a dead stop and i killed him off the line. (AWD does help) So figure I pull 2 cars from hit at the line is just enough with the intake to keep that lead. I drag race alot at events by us with my other cars. So maybe its just expierence my friend is lacking but i still think i would beat a 330i. I hope someone local chimes in and id like to take a video so maybe one forum meber belives me. lol 15HP is alot and like i said in my first post i didnt expect a gain at all. But I was wrong and the gain is significant and extremely noticable.

***Just got off the phone with the speed shop. Cant dyno until sept 23rd.** I might be able to be squeezed in tom. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #19
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy
well from the pic you posted, i can still see the blue filter under that sheet of metal....that's what makes me worry....haha.....like it's not sealed or nothin....

after dyno and sound clip is out.....i might consider this,

so where to get it agian?
I bought it from bavauto.com. After you hear the sound clip I bet youll buy it. Makes the car sound like a tough 6 cylinder, like its suppose to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #20
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
?? Did you look at the pics ??

Theres a heat shield over it for a reason.

Imagine how hot your black stock airbox gets....
i saw the 4th pic with the heatshield and i could still see the filter inside. the stock airbox doesnt conduct as much heat.

what material is the AFE box made of? looks metallic from the pix. just curious.
      09-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #21
XxLancaxX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft
i saw the 4th pic with the heatshield and i could still see the filter inside. the stock airbox doesnt conduct as much heat.

what material is the AFE box made of? looks metallic from the pix. just curious.
Yea its metal. Has some funky coating over it.

The stock airbox is WAY restrictive. Wait until you take it off.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 09:34 PM   #22
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Any local 330xi's or 330i's? We will go to the dragstrip and ill pay your $25 fee to dragrace and we will take a video for the NON believers of this forum. PM ME....Intakes do make a difference esp this one since its open and just has a heatshield covering it..
i'll take that offer. too bad im in CA...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread