E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > First 330i M Sport Victory vs RX8

09-15-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Smile First 330i M Sport Victory vs RX8

Had a Mazda RX8 pull up along side me at the lights last night, facing a 1/2 mile stretch of dual carriageway .. fairly late and roads were quiet, so could not resist letting the lady stretch her legs and see how she performs.

Engine was thoroghly warmed up and did not max her out to 7,000 rpm but kept just below 6,000 and the Mazda was still left behind.

Felt good to know I still have a car which can deliver the goods away from the lights

A "sensible" pursuit ensued for a few miles over some B roads and the Bimmer proved very capable through the corners. I was not pushing too hard as still getting to know the cars handling etc.

Felt extremely solid and stable through the twisty bits and was able to pull away very nicely and increase a lead on the straights

I am sure the RX8 driver would have been totally perhaps having thought he could burn off a 3 series Bimmer saloon

I'm not in the habbit of racing on the roads, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy accelleration away from the lights
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 03:21 AM   #2
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

im not suprised... i beat my friends rx8 manual with sports package with my non-sport package 330xi steptronic. this was also on a long stretch of 2lane road and we went at it for just over a 1/4 mile.
      09-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Had a Mazda RX8 pull up along side me at the lights last night, facing a 1/2 mile stretch of dual carriageway .. fairly late and roads were quiet, so could not resist letting the lady stretch her legs and see how she performs.

Engine was thoroghly warmed up and did not max her out to 7,000 rpm but kept just below 6,000 and the Mazda was still left behind.

Felt good to know I still have a car which can deliver the goods away from the lights

A "sensible" pursuit ensued for a few miles over some B roads and the Bimmer proved very capable through the corners. I was not pushing too hard as still getting to know the cars handling etc.

Felt extremely solid and stable through the twisty bits and was able to pull away very nicely and increase a lead on the straights

I am sure the RX8 driver would have been totally perhaps having thought he could burn off a 3 series Bimmer saloon

I'm not in the habbit of racing on the roads, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy accelleration away from the lights
Nice one snake I knew you would open it up a bit - 4500rpm isn't enough!

I've driven almost 500 miles in the last 2 days, so the car is 'almost' run in (980 miles). I started to let rip today on a dual carriageway, with a series of roundabouts near Barnsley - I stayed close to the speed limit - but just got their faster than everyone else.

The handling stability is great, turn in is sharper than with my 530d and grip is better. Which is good because I was worried about the runflats.

Question is - was it the 231 ps model or the 192 ps RX8 ?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Nice one snake I knew you would open it up a bit - 4500rpm isn't enough!

I've driven almost 500 miles in the last 2 days, so the car is 'almost' run in (980 miles). I started to let rip today on a dual carriageway, with a series of roundabouts near Barnsley - I stayed close to the speed limit - but just got their faster than everyone else.

The handling stability is great, turn in is sharper than with my 530d and grip is better. Which is good because I was worried about the runflats.

Question is - was it the 231 ps model or the 192 ps RX8 ?

I'm certain it would have been the 231 ps higher powered model as the 192 unit would have been left for dust.

I have driven both AND the new PZ version down at the motor show this year.

Good'ish car but the wankle engine needs to be worked extremely hard to get the most out of it .. you've always gotta be in the highest rev band to achieve optimum accelleration.

Try putting your foot down from 2,000 rpm and there is some serious lag.

The car last night was managing to catch me up when I reached "a speed" & decided to "ease off" but it was certainly the higher powered car.

Still trying to convince all the old 350z owners how much better 330i is .. but they are blinkered !

Thank god I saw the light .. I am addicted to BMW now
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm certain it would have been the 231 ps higher powered model as the 192 unit would have been left for dust.

I have driven both AND the new PZ version down at the motor show this year.

Good'ish car but the wankle engine needs to be worked extremely hard to get the most out of it .. you've always gotta be in the highest rev band to achieve optimum accelleration.

Try putting your foot down from 2,000 rpm and there is some serious lag.

The car last night was managing to catch me up when I reached "a speed" & decided to "ease off" but it was certainly the higher powered car.

Still trying to convince all the old 350z owners how much better 330i is .. but they are blinkered !

Thank god I saw the light .. I am addicted to BMW now
BMW do know what they are doing - that's why I am on my 7th BMW in a row!

What was the PZ like - prodrive are based near me and I'm curious.

Also - did you consider the rx8 - I love the styling and technology, but the fuel economy makes the 330i look frugal. So I passed - plus the 4 seats thing is a prob for me - like with the e92.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 04:52 AM   #6
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I do like the look of the RX8 and did consider at the time of buying my Zed.

The thing that put me off though was the engine and oil thing and the fact that I loved the Zed's 3.5 litre V6 and engine note, which the RX8 lacked.

The PZ was kinda good, but just looked a bit "maxed out" with bits from Halfords. Plus it costs a lot more than the standard car and the enhancements were all cosmetic or to do with handling ... no more power was included in the spec ed model.

I did not consider this time round, as I was sold on the BMW marque and car and was happy to get away from Nissan / Mazda etc and "step up" a level in terms of car ownership ... An RX8 would have been a sideways move.

Decent enough car, but not in the same league as a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I do like the look of the RX8 and did consider at the time of buying my Zed.

The thing that put me off though was the engine and oil thing and the fact that I loved the Zed's 3.5 litre V6 and engine note, which the RX8 lacked.

The PZ was kinda good, but just looked a bit "maxed out" with bits from Halfords. Plus it costs a lot more than the standard car and the enhancements were all cosmetic or to do with handling ... no more power was included in the spec ed model.

I did not consider this time round, as I was sold on the BMW marque and car and was happy to get away from Nissan / Mazda etc and "step up" a level in terms of car ownership ... An RX8 would have been a sideways move.

Decent enough car, but not in the same league as a BMW.
I'd actually put the 350z above the RX8.

The RX has the advantage of the extra seats, but the fuel consumption figures are laughable.

You are right that neither car is a direct competitor for the 330i.

I was looking for fun though and considered some fairly daft options including the toyota celica VVTLi GT and the Honda Civic Type R.

Common sense (I drive long distances on the motorway) intervened and you know the rest......
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

ha ha ha .... our car choices are on the same wave length more than you know

Before my Zed, I had a Civic Type R (2004 revised model) and yes I have changed car a few times over the last couple of years

The Civic Type R was an amazing car, if a little hard core.

The ride was ROCK HARD and tuned for race tracks ... not UK roads !

It was very well built and many quality materials were used.

The vetec engine was glorious, with the change of cam at 6,000 rpm ... it went like a rocket and sounded great.

BUT ... it was not a great motorway cruiser in terms of engine noise, as those revs certainly became apparent on the motorway and you had to keep the car "in the zone" for rapid progress.

Out of the upper vtec range ie pre 6,000 rpm the car was quite steady and could catch you out if you weren't if you wanted to out drag someone But keep it in the zone and it really did fly.

Consequently ... thats the beuty of the "versatile" 330i ... its gives you all that and so much more ... its even faster than the Civic Type R and that is a compliement

Touched on 6,000 rpm at the weekend too

Had a good drive out on Saturday .. and even had a fellow Bimmer having a friendly to do with me.

It was the last shape, but a new'ish model and looked like an Msport.

He overtook me on an average speed monitored camera section of road and i thought: WTF as he pulled away very rapidly but then he slowed WELL DOWN at the end ... he was risking it though as he could've calcualated his distance wrong.

I eventually caught up and we reached some traffic lights facing a dual carriageway. At this point I saw the model enscription on his boot lid:

"D3" ... with a heavily modded DUAL bazooka exhaust which hinted at some serious power hike.

Hmm, i thought, all i could compare to was the 330i D which I knew I could beat from a standing start but not so sure about in gear accelleration.

He pulled away and I gave some gas and overtook him.

I then eased off and he started catching me again, I wasn't gonna drop a gear and kept it in 6th and he kept getting nearer and nearer.

Shortly before he passed me I had to slow down for my turn off.

If I didn't have one eye on running her in, I reckon I could have dropped a gear or 2 and pulled away, but interesting little experience all the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ha ha ha .... our car choices are on the same wave length more than you know

Before my Zed, I had a Civic Type R (2004 revised model) and yes I have changed car a few times over the last couple of years

The Civic Type R was an amazing car, if a little hard core.

The ride was ROCK HARD and tuned for race tracks ... not UK roads !

It was very well built and many quality materials were used.

The vetec engine was glorious, with the change of cam at 6,000 rpm ... it went like a rocket and sounded great.

BUT ... it was not a great motorway cruiser in terms of engine noise, as those revs certainly became apparent on the motorway and you had to keep the car "in the zone" for rapid progress.

Out of the upper vtec range ie pre 6,000 rpm the car was quite steady and could catch you out if you weren't if you wanted to out drag someone But keep it in the zone and it really did fly.

Consequently ... thats the beuty of the "versatile" 330i ... its gives you all that and so much more ... its even faster than the Civic Type R and that is a compliement

Touched on 6,000 rpm at the weekend too

Had a good drive out on Saturday .. and even had a fellow Bimmer having a friendly to do with me.

It was the last shape, but a new'ish model and looked like an Msport.

He overtook me on an average speed monitored camera section of road and i thought: WTF as he pulled away very rapidly but then he slowed WELL DOWN at the end ... he was risking it though as he could've calcualated his distance wrong.

I eventually caught up and we reached some traffic lights facing a dual carriageway. At this point I saw the model enscription on his boot lid:

"D3" ... with a heavily modded DUAL bazooka exhaust which hinted at some serious power hike.

Hmm, i thought, all i could compare to was the 330i D which I knew I could beat from a standing start but not so sure about in gear accelleration.

He pulled away and I gave some gas and overtook him.

I then eased off and he started catching me again, I wasn't gonna drop a gear and kept it in 6th and he kept getting nearer and nearer.

Shortly before he passed me I had to slow down for my turn off.

If I didn't have one eye on running her in, I reckon I could have dropped a gear or 2 and pulled away, but interesting little experience all the same.
I didn't realise there was an e46 alpina D3 - are you sure?

I reckon the 330i will best a 330d at any speed, so long as it's in the right gear. That means for 50-75 you are going to need to be in 2nd or 3rd () so best to wait until it's broken in.

Trouble is in the real world there isn't enough time to change down and so the pesky diesel's have the edge - especially if they have the step.

Anyway ... alpina D3 has 208 bhp - about as fast as a 330cd - nice car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realise there was an e46 alpina D3 - are you sure?

I reckon the 330i will best a 330d at any speed, so long as it's in the right gear. That means for 50-75 you are going to need to be in 2nd or 3rd () so best to wait until it's broken in.

Trouble is in the real world there isn't enough time to change down and so the pesky diesel's have the edge - especially if they have the step.

Anyway ... alpina D3 has 208 bhp - about as fast as a 330cd - nice car.

Yeah thats what I thought ... best not to drop the gears down and give her too much gas ... better saving that for future requirements when she's run in

Maybe the person had fitted the D3 badge themselves then, but it was not Alpina, thats for sure.

I know those Diesel boys like to take us petrol lads on from time to time though ... It did not used to be a problem years ago ... but now it is
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thats what I thought ... best not to drop the gears down and give her too much gas ... better saving that for future requirements when she's run in

Maybe the person had fitted the D3 badge themselves then, but it was not Alpina, thats for sure.

I know those Diesel boys like to take us petrol lads on from time to time though ... It did not used to be a problem years ago ... but now it is
Could it have been an alpina B3?

It it didn't say alpina it must have been a dummy badge - weird.

Anyway ... how's the gearbox bedding in ?

1st, 2nd and reverse were hideously notchy on mine to begin with.

I've done just over 1000 miles now and suddenly on Friday it seemed to loosen up - much better now - changing gear isn't a battle.

Reverse is still sticky though. When I started the car at lunchtime, it just didn't want to go into gear.

The notchy feeling seems to be at the 'gate', so I am presuming it's an issue with the synchros. Certainly revving the engine a little helps overcome the resistance. I can't remember it being such a problem with my last new BMW (e46 320cd sport) - wondered how your 'pup' was behaving.

In the 530d 3rd gear was the monster - you could floor it at 30 in third and keep going all the way to 100mph in double quick time. 2nd does the same in the 330i - from 25 to 65 in 2nd is enormous fun and you get a seriously nasty rasp from the exhaust at 6500 rpm

I haven't exploited 3rd because by the time you need it you are already near the limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
In the 530d 3rd gear was the monster - you could floor it at 30 in third and keep going all the way to 100mph in double quick time. 2nd does the same in the 330i - from 25 to 65 in 2nd is enormous fun and you get a seriously nasty rasp from the exhaust at 6500 rpm

I haven't exploited 3rd because by the time you need it you are already near the limit.
Agreed, second gear is the monster gear at low speeds. When on the motorway/dual carriageway and someone who's been holding you up finally moves over, I like to drop her into third and the straight six sings all the way to 95mph very nicely!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
I friend of mine has recently took delivery of a new 56 plate company car..a Mazda RX8 PZ (prodrive)

It now done 1300 miles and I was offered the chance to drive it last Saturday. I still didn't give it the full right foot or take it above 6500 rpm (note the Prodrive twin pipes do start to wail above about 5750).

I though the handling was pretty neutral, steering was quite well weighted but the ride was a tad nuggety.

Certainly a much better car than her previous company stead; a 320D M sport compact.
Its getting 500-800 miles a week which means plenty of trips to the fuel pumps.
I will not be able to drive it again for maybe 3 or 4 weeks so by then it will be ready for a real trashing..I bet those pipes will really make some noize as it gets up near its 9,000 redline.

Power figure of 231BHP is the same as a 330D or older E46 330i's but the torque is a just 211NM @ 5,500 (155 in old money)
Anyway once I get my own coupe probably on 30th Sept I will be able to make a better comparison..but it will do a shed load more MPG

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #14
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Could it have been an alpina B3?

It it didn't say alpina it must have been a dummy badge - weird.

Anyway ... how's the gearbox bedding in ?

1st, 2nd and reverse were hideously notchy on mine to begin with.

I've done just over 1000 miles now and suddenly on Friday it seemed to loosen up - much better now - changing gear isn't a battle.

Reverse is still sticky though. When I started the car at lunchtime, it just didn't want to go into gear.

The notchy feeling seems to be at the 'gate', so I am presuming it's an issue with the synchros. Certainly revving the engine a little helps overcome the resistance. I can't remember it being such a problem with my last new BMW (e46 320cd sport) - wondered how your 'pup' was behaving.

No it wasn't an Alpina ... clearly someone who had done some home made mods ... the twin exhaust pipes were MASSIVE ... Too big really !

It was a newish car though.

So you have hiy 6,500 rpm

Actually I think I have a couple of times and it does sound good.

I have found you can hear the engine in full glory with least surrounding noise by giving it some in 1st gear with the window down ... a glorious noise which I will never tire of hearing I'm sure
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No it wasn't an Alpina ... clearly someone who had done some home made mods ... the twin exhaust pipes were MASSIVE ... Too big really !

It was a newish car though.

So you have hiy 6,500 rpm

Actually I think I have a couple of times and it does sound good.

I have found you can hear the engine in full glory with least surrounding noise by giving it some in 1st gear with the window down ... a glorious noise which I will never tire of hearing I'm sure
I've redlined it nearly 1100 miles now so I'm going to declare it 'run in'.
Appreciate 0