E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Yeah..I know you have heard of this before..but I am still gonna rant

09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Yeah..I know you have heard of this before..but I am still gonna rant

RE: Runflat tires / Lack of a jack or real tool box / Electronic Dipstick

Considering this for a letter to the editor of the Roundel:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Sorry, but I am exiting stage left and not getting another BMW until they reconsider the use of runflat tires. I am not alone in my feelings either. I have no confidence level in having a run flat tire, no spare, no jack, no mini spare, and no lug wrench when I go on a long trip. What, what happens when I get a puncture 50 miles from Winnemuca or Elko Nevada and have to limp into town at 50 miles per hour only to find out they dont carry a Bridgestone RFT tire in 235/40/18 and 255/35/18 sizes. What am I suppose to do..buy another tire temporarily? The closest BMW dealer or major town would be Salt Lake City UT or Reno NV. I dont even want to get into the replacement costs of these winners...$260+ for the front and $325+ for the rear..plus mounting and balancing...nice. Keep up the good work BMW...you are definitely on the right track and listening to your enthusiast fan base. NOT!

What do I want? I want a FULL SIZE spare. Make room for it...yes, I know its heavy..but I can live with the extra weight..but not with the insecurity of RFTs. I also want a jack..and a decent tool box.

Oh..and the lack of a manual dipstick is just ludicrious. I have no confidence in your sensors that monitor oil level..and especially dont like it when the damn thing doesnt even give me a reading at all.

Bye Bye BMW, unless you change this two major things..I will NOT be back.

Sincerely,

"Stuck in the boonies with a RFT"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

It will go on deaf ears..I just know it. Why? Because it costs money.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

You have no confidence? I'm sorry, but it sounds like the problem is with your confidence and not with BMW. My runflats have served me well the past 2.5 years, and my electro-dipstick has never failed me. I don't understand where your lack of confidence is coming from...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

BMW reply: The buyers of our PREMIUM luxury product overwhelming accept the idea of RFT's and find the cost of replacement to be well within their means. Maybe a VW might be more in tune with your requirements, but please don't run over the people in line waiting behind you to buy one of our excellent driving cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
BMW reply: The buyers of our PREMIUM luxury product overwhelming accept the idea of RFT's and find the cost of replacement to be well within their means. Maybe a VW might be more in tune with your requirements, but please don't run over the people in line waiting behind you to buy one of our excellent driving cars.
I was not what to do after reading this. Laugh because it is funny or it is superficial???

The last time I went your one of a knid BMW dealer (last week) there were 3 lookers and 8 salesmen...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
You have no confidence? I'm sorry, but it sounds like the problem is with your confidence and not with BMW. My runflats have served me well the past 2.5 years, and my electro-dipstick has never failed me. I don't understand where your lack of confidence is coming from...

LOL...46 posts? Nice. How many cars have you owned...? How many BMWs...? I have owned five BMWs...this is the first one with this stuff...and I dont like it at all. I have a right to an opinion...and I can post whatever I want here. I have also owned seven Audis...and all of them came with a full size spare (5) or a mini spare at the minimum (2). I have confidence in this.

Oh..and how many tires have you changed on the side of a roadway? I dont want a driving trip ruined because BMW decided that saving a buck or two by going the RFT route is the best for us BMW owners.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Actually, it'll fall on deaf ears because it is a poorly worded rant .

If you feel so strongly about these issues, then write a proper letter. Remove the emotion from it and state facts that can be substantiated.

The reason for the electronic dipstick is simple - most people never bother to check.

Back in 1986 I bought a new Jaguar XJ12HE that had 1500km and a new motor. The previous owner had put a piece of electrical tape over the "Warning - low oil pressure" light because it bothered him. He sold it back to the dealer who put in a new engine and I bought it for a pittance.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
Laugh because it is funny or it is superficial???
I'm thinking it's a little of both.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
May I ask why this is superficial?

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
LOL...46 posts? Nice. How many cars have you owned...? How many BMWs...? I have owned five BMWs...this is the first one with this stuff...and I dont like it at all. I have a right to an opinion...and I can post whatever I want here. I have also owned seven Audis...and all of them came with a full size spare (5) or a mini spare at the minimum (2). I have confidence in this.

Oh..and how many tires have you changed on the side of a roadway? I dont want a driving trip ruined because BMW decided that saving a buck or two by going the RFT route is the best for us BMW owners.
Relax, I never said you don't have a right to voice your opinion. In fact, all I did was voice mine, which is that your lack of confidence is unfounded.

You said that you'd rather not change a flat on the side of the roadway....um, that is exactly the hassle that a runflat is designed to avoid. You seem to be contradicting yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i xDrive

I don't mind not having a dipstick but I do wish we still had a full size spare and jack. Or at the very least we should just have the tire for cars without the sport package. Anyone keep a spare RFT in their trunk or garage? Might be nice to keep one around so you don't have to wait for your shop to order one.

Last edited by Ryan323i; 09-08-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Newer BMW's don't have any space to put a spare tire because they were designed from the onset to have runflats. Maybe this video can convince some doubters that runflats are not the evil offspring of Satan himself:

And keep in mind that this video is from 2004. I imagine that technology has progressed since then so that modern runflats are even better than they used to be. In fact, when I test drove the 335d in July, my brother (who is a critic of runflats and changed his e60's tires to regular sports ones) was the first to notice that the car rode incredibly well and there was no noticeable compromise in comfort or handling, and that was with a sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post

Since you have owned at least 12 cars it seems you're not easily satisfied.

In almost 850,000 miles of driving (including my motorcycles) I've had to change a flat twice. Guess you won't be buying a Corvette for your next car. Can you imagine that people actually cross the country on Motorcycles without carrying a spare, oh my God what are we to do!

Most people who buy BMWs now a days wouldn't know a engine dipstick from a transmission dipstick; they wait until the car tells them to add oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
S4to335...you have my vote...rant away

I love my bimmers and have come to live with RFTs and lack of dipstick...but i sure miss the way life use to be...
      09-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I'd imagine the RFTs are for convenience only. Performance-wise, the extra amount of rotational mass the RFT tires have would have to be close to having normal tires plus an additional spare in the trunk. It's only a guess though.

I can see your point about not having the dipstick (having grown up around an automotive repair shop), but I have had no problems with this "dipstick-less" technology yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Newer BMW's don't have any space to put a spare tire because they were designed from the onset to have runflats. Maybe this video can convince some doubters that runflats are not the evil offspring of Satan himself:

And keep in mind that this video is from 2004. I imagine that technology has progressed since then so that modern runflats are even better than they used to be. In fact, when I test drove the 335d in July, my brother (who is a critic of runflats and changed his e60's tires to regular sports ones) was the first to notice that the car rode incredibly well and there was no noticeable compromise in comfort or handling, and that was with a sport suspension.
The 5 Series have RFs and a spare tire.
335s don't have the room because of the duel exhaust.I don't know if a 328 can hold a spare.I would think so.
The only benefit of a RF tires is with a nail in the tire you can go 50- miles or so.If the tire has a side wall issue,you're screwed.
There's a lot more negatives with RF than conventional tires.

I can live the the electronic dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #16
vwong
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: All Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb427 View Post
335s don't have the room because of the duel exhaust.
Sorry, but I think that statement is total BS. How many cars have dual exhaust nowadays and still come with spare tires? My TSX has dual exhaust (which isn't necessary anyways), and it has a spare tire. My B7 A4 had dual exhaust and came with a full size spare. How about an S2000 with a small trunk? It has dual exhaust and a spare tire. I'm with the OP on the lack of a spare tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Get a life. Worry about more important things. I love the electronic dipstick.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
Mixelplux
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

maybe you should rant in a lexus benz or infiniti forum, that way you'll get more support. =P
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
Sorry, but I think that statement is total BS. How many cars have dual exhaust nowadays and still come with spare tires? My TSX has dual exhaust (which isn't necessary anyways), and it has a spare tire. My B7 A4 had dual exhaust and came with a full size spare. How about an S2000 with a small trunk? It has dual exhaust and a spare tire. I'm with the OP on the lack of a spare tire.
That's what I've read here and/or on Bimmerfest.Never measured.My BMW spare kit is on top at the back seats and I'm fine with the room that's left.
Jack and accessories are in a molded plastic piece fitted on the rim.

Not my car but the exact same set up except I have a black tire cover.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
g2artist
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post

The reason for the electronic dipstick is simple - most people never bother to check.
So your saying they removed the traditional dipstick which costs them exactly .50 cents to implement, for an electronic gizmo which has to have engineers program software to use and has the very likely possibility to fail instead? I would have liked to have the dipstick and maybe the electronic as backup. The electronic one has been giving people problems, run a search.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #21
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Not to mention that runflats are SO much more expensive than regular tires, and you're bound to be replacing them more often since they bubble up at the slightest bit of hitting a pothole.

You runflat fanboys can have fun paying that premium. I'll pass.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #22
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
Not to mention that runflats are SO much more expensive than regular tires, and you're bound to be replacing them more often since they bubble up at the slightest bit of hitting a pothole.

You runflat fanboys can have fun paying that premium. I'll pass.
I've put 35000 miles on the original runflats that came with my car. They've carried me through potholes the size of the grand canyon, through rain sleet and snow, through 300 miles journeys, through 130 mph drags, and for 2 months my right rear carried me with 5 punctures. I've not had to replace a single one of them, and have paid a grand total of $20 dollars to have my punctures repaired.

Forgive me for being so frank, but what you're spewing is utter nonsense. The kind of potholes that would damage or shred a runflat would damage or shred a regular tire equally if not more so.
Appreciate 0