BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

BPM

09-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Question Want to see Silverstone M3 Coupe in person

Maybe this is a strange request, but does anybody in the Houston area have the M3 Coupe in Silverstone, and would you be willing to let me see it in person? I live south of Tomball (249) and work in the Jersey Village area (290 & Beltway 8).

I'm a couple short weeks away from buying/ordering an M3 Coupe, and really want to see Silverstone in person.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Why don't you just go to your closest BMW dealership? Don't you have to go to the dealership to order the car anyway?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

I've called around to all 6 of them in the Houston area, and none have this particular car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

There's a silverstone sedan that parks in my garage at work downtown. Come down during your lunch break maybe? It's not always very clean though.
      09-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

Hey thanks. Is this a parking garage? Only thing I'm worried about is that being in a garage, it will not show the color in the condition in which it will be seen most, which is outdoors in natural light. Also I'd really prefer to see it in the coupe rather than the sedan.

On the other hand, I'd like to see as much of this color as possible before I make my final decision. Would you mind giving the address, or would you prefer to do it via PM?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You won't regret Silverstone II. That was my second color choice if I could not fine Alpine White. SSII has a very slight hint of light baby blue to it. A very unique color. I've only seen one SSII on the road in person in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Silverstone was my very first choice, but after more research, I figured that IB was the right color for me.

Sometimes I do feel that space gray would look awesome on my M3 with 18's, but I think I would've regretted not going for IB later on...

I love the way Mack211's space gray e92 m3 w/18's looks. I think its one of the best looking m3 coupes out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You can see mine in El Paso . Seriously, I bought mine blindly, thinking it was going to be silver (similar to millennium), but it's a bluish silver. It's a nice color, and don't regret buying it (didn't have much choice anyway), but to be honest, it's not far from crossing the line into 'girly' territory (like baby blue), so better check it out in person indeed. On the other hand, if you want a girly color for sure, get white .
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Since I've got some of you guys engaged here, how did you go about choosing your color? I'm having a lot of trouble nailing it down. I want the color that's going to make me giddy every time I see it, for at least a good long while. I don't expect to not get bored eventually, but I want to fend off the boredom for as long as possible with the right color choice.

Ulitmately, I'm going to choose among Silverstone, Jet Black, and Space Gray. White is nice, but I've had a white vehicle since I was 17, and I want something different. The blue and red are nice also, but I just don't think they fit me.

Nawaaz, thanks for mentioning the Space Gray with the 18s. That does look really sweet and super sporty. I've spent endless hours looking at car/wheel combos on this site, trying to find that perfect fit for me. Brandon at EAS posted a Titanium Silver 335 modified to look like an M3, with VMR V710 Gunmetal wheels. To this day, I think that's the perfect one for me, but I know the Silverstone won't look quite like the Titanium Silver, and so the search goes on.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Go for Space Gray and combine that with the 18's. It's gonna look SWEET!

The main reason I didn't go for space gray was because I felt it was too serious for me. I wanted something serious, yet very creative at the same time. IB fits that desire perfectly IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

Now you really got me thinking about Space Gray!

Hey Nawaaz, got a couple questions for you if you don't mind:

I read through the thread that you started about getting the perfect stance for the car. You seem like you pay very close attention to detail, so I'll ask you: do you notice that the distance between top of tire and underside of fender is larger above the front tire than the rear tire? I wonder what that's all about. I'd like to even that distance out with lowering springs. Other than that, I think the M3 looks pretty close to perfect as is. I think you decided to leave yours as is with no spacers and no lowering, right?

Also, in your sig, you've got/ordered 20% tint. Have you gotten that done yet? Did you get that done at BMW, or somewhere else? Were you hassled about it by whoever did it? Have you gotten the car inspected yet? 20% is perfect, not cop-attractingly dark, but dark enough to make the car look very cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogEphedra View Post
Now you really got me thinking about Space Gray!

Hey Nawaaz, got a couple questions for you if you don't mind:

I read through the thread that you started about getting the perfect stance for the car. You seem like you pay very close attention to detail, so I'll ask you: do you notice that the distance between top of tire and underside of fender is larger above the front tire than the rear tire? I wonder what that's all about. I'd like to even that distance out with lowering springs. Other than that, I think the M3 looks pretty close to perfect as is. I think you decided to leave yours as is with no spacers and no lowering, right?

Also, in your sig, you've got/ordered 20% tint. Have you gotten that done yet? Did you get that done at BMW, or somewhere else? Were you hassled about it by whoever did it? Have you gotten the car inspected yet? 20% is perfect, not cop-attractingly dark, but dark enough to make the car look very cool.
I do notice that the gap is slightly bigger than the rear, but it doesn't bother me too much. I think all stock cars have the front gap bigger since road bumps ahead impact the front before coming to the rear wheels, but that's just what I think. At the end, I decided not to go with springs/spacers since they are purely an affordable cosmetic solution. They may make you feel that the car will perform/handle better, but it will in fact degrade the handling/'rebound rates' very slightly. When it comes to the M3, the handling and the suspension are truly major factors in defining the M3.....And I hate to mess with that aspect. I know some people will think I take this kinda' thing too seriously, but that's just the way I am unfortunately.

Furthermore, my tint is actually already on my car. I paid cash to the place (not BMW) that did the work, since they didn't want to be blamed for it afterwards of course. I don't think you know, but the e90's have a problem with the tint scratching if you roll down the windows, especially the rears. Therefore, I ordered the tint protector kit which includes a certain felt that prevents the scratches after installation. I don't think the e92's have this problem, but they do have the 'dot matrix' problem where the tint doesn't work out properly in that area. I've read that applying vinyl would be a solution.

It hasen't been time for my inspection yet, but I'll probably go to 'someone' who can pass me, or I guess I'll have no choice but to change it to 30%. Oh well, it's worth it since 20% all around looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

Thanks man.

For me, the M3 is the sexiest (reasonably priced) car I've seen on the road, and that's why I'm going to buy it. I'm 99% sure I won't track it, and I'm not a super aggressive driver. I love the BMW look, and am blown away by the M3 look. So, the springs would be totally cosmetic for me. I'll be coming from a bottom-of-the-barrel 98 Chevy truck, so even an M3 with stiffer lowering springs would feel just fine to me. Do you have EDC, and from your prior research on springs, did you find out if they cause any problems with EDC?

Did you inquire to your dealer about 20% tint, before going to the place that actually did yours? I wonder if the dealer would consider doing anything below 35%?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Surprisingly, I actually ordered a 'stripped' M3 .........Meaning the the only 2 options I got were IB metallic paint, and the anti-theft alarm. So no EDC whatsoever for me.

I'm pretty sure the legal tint limit is 30%. I didn't inquire with the dealer since they were charging much more for the tint than I could've gotten it elsewhere. They wouldn't even throw in the tint since I negotiated a pretty tough deal on my M3. I don't think the dealer would even bother to take a risk on doing anythink under that........But they pay a third party tint shop to their tints done, so you could probably sort that out better with the tint shop.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
SS II looks too much like a girly man's car especially w/that hint of baby blue...then again, this is coming from a guy that likes wearing baby pink shirts, ha! White looks nice...but I wanted a color w/some type of metallic, mica, pearl in it. Black's a PITA to keep clean & you'll be able to see swirl marks very easily. I wanted an "///M" exclusive color so that eliminated SG. Thus, my choices came down to MR & IB. It was a really tough decision but da moment I saw MR in person (I've seen IB already), I fell in love. So that's how & why I picked MR.

BTW, SSII is also available on the M5 so might wanna call & ask those 6 dealerships if they have a SSII M5 in stock. Good luck w/your decision!

Springs won't cause any probs w/EDC if you go that route since all you're doing is just replacing the factory springs w/aftermarket springs. IMO, just wait for an EDC-compatible coilover setup unless you get impatient (I know I am!!!). The ride will be smoother since the shocks & springs (of a coilover setup) were meant to be matched w/one another. The only way I'd consider springs is if a manufacturer finally comes out w/an EDC-compatible coilover...but cost $3k+ & I'm not gonna take it on the track but that's just me...well, that or I get too impatient!

- Jimmy

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm

Actually, in Texas, the legal limit is 25% on the side windows and no limit on the rear. Also the new law that went into effect on September 1, 2009, will require the tinter to install a compliance sticker, so you don't get hit with a $1,000 fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm

Actually, in Texas, the legal limit is 25% on the side windows and no limit on the rear. Also the new law that went into effect on September 1, 2009, will require the tinter to install a compliance sticker, so you don't get hit with a $1,000 fine.
Perhaps it's been a long day so pardon my ignorance or stupidity...what about those of us that have had tint installed prior Sept. 1st?...Do we have to go back to our tint installer & have them take off the tint & reapply it w/the compliance sticker in between glass & tint?

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ +1

I'm wondering the same thing....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Hey thanks. Is this a parking garage? Only thing I'm worried about is that being in a garage, it will not show the color in the condition in which it will be seen most, which is outdoors in natural light. Also I'd really prefer to see it in the coupe rather than the sedan.

On the other hand, I'd like to see as much of this color as possible before I make my final decision. Would you mind giving the address, or would you prefer to do it via PM?

Thanks!
I'll shoot you a PM with the location of my parking garage downtown. I understand what you're saying about the lighting, but I guess it's better than nothing. IMO, Silverstone looks flat and generic in darker lighting situations. In bright sunlight, it looks better, but definitely has a bluish tint to it. Unfortunately, it's not as sharp as Titanium Silver.

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, guys.

Since I've got some of you guys engaged here, how did you go about choosing your color? I'm having a lot of trouble nailing it down. I want the color that's going to make me giddy every time I see it, for at least a good long while. I don't expect to not get bored eventually, but I want to fend off the boredom for as long as possible with the right color choice.

Ulitmately, I'm going to choose among Silverstone, Jet Black, and Space Gray. White is nice, but I've had a white vehicle since I was 17, and I want something different. The blue and red are nice also, but I just don't think they fit me.
I originally wanted the Sparkling Graphite, but that color was discontinued for 2009 and later. When my CA told me it was discontinued and that I had 2 weeks to pick a new color for my order, I made my decision by going around to almost ever dealership in the Houston area to see the different colors in person. The Jet Black and Jerez Black were easy to rule out because even inside the showroom, they looked dirty. While they look great when they're clean, black cars will show every scratch and speck of dirt. I ruled out Silverstone for the reasons mentioned above. Space gray looks good and is a safe choice, but it doesn't "pop" in stock form.

Blue and red weren't my thing either, and I was almost certain that I was going to go with Space Gray anyway, but then I saw Interlagos Blue in person and there immediately was no question that was my color. Women have no idea that my car is an M car or that it's different than any other 3 series on the road, but I get compliments every week from random women on the color of my car.
      09-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #20
RogEphedra
Darkhorse v1.1
United_States
Rep

I don't have time to quote individual statements and respond, so I'll try to sweep it all up in one quick post.

TLud: thanks for the address. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning black. I know about the dirt, but it's just such a classic color. You can't go wrong with black, in my opinion.

Nucking Futs: I did see an M5 in Silverstone today. Looked pretty good, to be honest. I could see the blue, but it was very subtle. Also, with aftermarket springs only, I'm worried about the shocks going bad prematurely. Maybe shocks going bad is rare, I don't know. I guess spring/shock combo is the way to go, even though it is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Perhaps it's been a long day so pardon my ignorance or stupidity...what about those of us that have had tint installed prior Sept. 1st?...Do we have to go back to our tint installer & have them take off the tint & reapply it w/the compliance sticker in between glass & tint?
What you are referring to is whether this law is ex post facto...meaning does it apply prior to it's effective date of September 1, 2009. That's a good question that I don't know the answer too. Generally speaking, ex post facto laws are unconstitutional. So therefore, I think if you retain your tint receipt in your glove box and can prove that your tint was applied prior to September 1, 2009, you MIGHT be okay. I have legal limit tint, but my installer never installed the decal stating that it is in compliance with TX tint laws.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #22
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
...Also, with aftermarket springs only, I'm worried about the shocks going bad prematurely. Maybe shocks going bad is rare, I don't know. I guess spring/shock combo is the way to go, even though it is more expensive.
You're correct to assume aftermarket springs w/oem shocks equals premature shocks although not sure how much sooner the shocks will go out. Also, not sure how good the H&R coilovers are on an e9x M3 (they were a rough ride on an e46 M3 w/only ride height adjustment) but they're on closeout at TireRack for around $1145 from what I remember a few days ago. That's basically half the price of kW's & CROSS coilovers if you don't mind not having dampening adjustments besides ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
What you are referring to is whether this law is ex post facto...meaning does it apply prior to it's effective date of September 1, 2009. That's a good question that I don't know the answer too. Generally speaking, ex post facto laws are unconstitutional. So therefore, I think if you retain your tint receipt in your glove box and can prove that your tint was applied prior to September 1, 2009, you MIGHT be okay. I have legal limit tint, but my installer never installed the decal stating that it is in compliance with TX tint laws.
I don't think my tint installer put a compliance decal on.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0