BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Please be careful.. motorcycle accident story

09-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Please be careful.. motorcycle accident story

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but my co-worker was recently in a motorcycle accident which lead to the death of his long term girlfriend who was hit by a car. I spoke with him early this week and he has let me know that he has broken all of his ribs, so even if you think you are a great and smart rider, anything could happen so BE CAREFUL

Here are some articles about the accident:
Quote:
Pickup Truck Sought Following Fatal Motorcycle Accident on RT. 17 - 8/28/2009
(Source: Pickup Truck Sought in Fatal Crash)
Johnson City police are seeking the public's help, following a motorcycle crash on Route 17 in Johnson City that killed a woman Friday afternoon.

Just after noon 52-year old David Minter of Lockport, Illinois was driving his Harley Davidson motorcycle east on Route 17 with a 57 year old female passenger.

Minter was in the center lane tried to avoid a plastic garbage can in the roadway.

Witnesses say the garbage can might have fallen off a dark-colored pick-up truck.

Minter lost control, and slid into the path of a tractor trailer traveling east in the left lane.

The 18 wheeler, driven by a Rochester man, then struck the motorcycle.

The female passenger died at the scene, Minter was transported to Wilson Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Two lanes of route 17 were closed for hours.

A second accident occured when a tour bus came to an abrupt stop behind the motorcycle accident--no injuries from that.

If you have any information on a dark colored pick-up turck. from which the garbage can might have fallen,
call Johnson City Police at 729-9321

and if anyone in the area knows any information about this accident please report to the local authorities.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

I tell you, I love the idea of a motorcycle, but I have seen too much of this type of stuff.

I have literally seen 3 people dead on the road from motorcycle crashes! One of them was on fire!! ON FIRE!! Nothing like watching a human body burn in the middle of an intersection to talk you out of a decent idea.

The motorcycle t-boned an older pickup truck, and I guess hit the gas tank just right.

All that being said, I still think about picking up the new Ural T cycle.

My thought go out to your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your co-worker and his girlfriend. And the picture of that RoadKing laying on the road like that makes me want to cry. Seriously.

you can't assume that people in cars know you're there, because they don't. anything with 2 wheels is practically non-existent to car drivers, unless you are directly in front of them, and even that is questionable....

when i ride, i try not to ride next to any cars, keep extra distance and never EVER ride in close proximity to pick up tracks or 18-wheelers.
      09-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
One of my coworker was paralyze from waist down due to a bike accident, and on wheel chair since...good that he a cheerful person...
      09-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
greatwrk9
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2007

Sorry to hear that. this happened to my friend also. Take Care.
      09-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Sorry to hear about your friend and his girlfriend. You can be as careful as possible and still get nailed. You just never know.

I had one nasty crash in 10+ years of riding and I never saw it coming. One second I was riding along and then in the blink of an eye it was like a giant hand reached down and swatted me off the bike. Flashes of light and dark and serious shock that felt like my bones all separated, then nothing but the sound of me gasping for breath as I looked up at leaves and branches of a tree. The first person to come look down at me was a gorgeous brunette. I thought sure I was in heaven. Five long weeks of recovery made me think otherwise.

I learned a few things that day. Helmets are good. Mine had a 1/4 inch deep gash right down the centerline that would have been in my skull. Leather is good. The only place on my body not scraped was where my jacket covered me. Blue jeans *will not* protect you. My ass and legs were a mess. And at some point after an accident, you have to face the decision of whether to ride again or not.

I feel especially bad for your friend. After my accident I relived that day over and over wondering what I could have done differently. He'll do the same except he'll have the loss of his girlfriend to add to the agony. He's going to need support.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0