Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Pressure Questions

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
chuckie
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Tire Pressure Questions

Just got back from the dealer to fix some minor problems with my new ride (sunroof stuck, tilt wheel not working, alignment problems).

All they actually did was reset the computer and they say that everything should be ok.

The dealer is telling me that my car pulls because I had incorrect tire pressures. My car came with all tires at 36 psi. I follow BMW's instructions and moved them to 29 front and 35 rear.

But now the dealer is telling me that even though BMW is suggesting 29/35, they are doing 36 psi all around to minimize tire wear and that these pressures work better here in the Houston heat.

So the questions is: Should I follow the dealers advise or stick to BWM specs?

The steering does feel lighter and more direct at 36 psi verses 29. tThe car feels a little more nimble at 36 psi.

Thanks,
Charles
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
jrct9454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Considering E91 Wa

OK - but did a tire pressure change actually cure the pulling? Shouldn't that be the answer to your question?

I'm always a little stunned at tire shops and car dealers who are often giving advice that contradicts the factory. Tire pressures are, within reason, something you can fool with to satisfy individual tastes [better handling at the expense of ride, for example], but there is no earthly reason to run the fronts at 36 psi "because of Houston's heat". Do it because you like the quicker turn-in and are willing to bear the slight ride penalty - what has heat got to do with it? Extra pressure to deal with heat is only relevant if you were planning to sustain speeds in excess of 100 mph for several hours at a time. Good luck anywhere in this country on that one...

MB recommends 28 / 32 in our C240, mostly to provide a better ride and insure that the car, if fully loaded, won't oversteer too much. I find that 32 all round seems like a good choice, since I rarely carry anybody in the back seat, and this minimizes understeer. Much over that, and the ride starts to suffer - all depends on what you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

I usually err on the higher pressure side of the BMW door sill recommendations, mainly because I don't mind a little firmer ride, and you get slightly better fuel economy that way. You just have to be careful not to overinflate the tires, and check the pressures when cold. (after sitting for several hours).

I think you are safe anywhere between about 29 and 36 PSI, but I keep mine at about 33 in the front and 35 in the back usually.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #4
chuckie
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

OK... I guess its just a personal preference. I really think the dealer is worried about people complaining about premature wear and thus they suggest higher pressures.

As for the alignment, I am still not sure. The car seem exactly the same. On the freeway, if I let go of the steering wheel, the car will start drifting to the right. Maybe this is because the road is slightly leveled to help water run off.

I don't remember this being the case of any other cars that I have owned but then I might not have paid that much attention to it.

Is this slight pull normal for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
jrct9454
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Considering E91 Wa

No car should pull if aligned correctly. Road grade should be readily apparent from the driver's seat, and there should be plenty of roads and spots that are flat enough to provide a test.

Our MB pulled right from the get-go - solved within the first week with an alignment, but the tech involved had to think outside the box - it took a little extra caster on the right side to completely solve the problem. Car tracks like a train now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Many if not most car manufacturers and importers recommend lower pressure in front than in the rear to help make sure the car will understeer. The lawyers make 'em do it for liability reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
cypwood
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 I 2006

What Are Most Of You Guys And Gals ....................

What is the general consensus on the air pressure ? I am verry fussy with tires. Ordered a 330 I 4 door ,the dealer is ordering the auto , last week in August. I can't take delivery till the beginning of November.

Re: the tire pull ( which I had with my Maxima ) the tire store moved the tires from back to front. They are unidirectional tires. He calls the problem "Radial Pull."
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Like CC 330i, I usually err a bit to the high side for the economy. I disagree with their claim about tire wear though. If you over inflate your tires they will wear more. One or two lbs over is plenty for me.
Appreciate 0