E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > For the dads here - car seats for kids

08-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
For the dads here - car seats for kids

Been checking out bigger car seats as our little one is getting too big for his first one (11 months old, 11kgs). Our Swedish relative (bro in law's wife) had mentioned rear facing seats several times but you can't get them in the UK.

So did some checking out - they are FIVE times safer yet not available at all in the UK! A campaign is growing to get them over here but we've had to order one direct from Sweden. They are more expensive but SO much safer and last them until they are 7/8.

Thought this might be useful info.

We've gone for the Britax Multi Tech.

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk

http://www.carseat.se/store.html
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
lolololol
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 F83

I have kids and wouldn't dream of buying them a seat without ISOFIX especially for side impact.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
I have kids and wouldn't dream of buying them a seat without ISOFIX especially for side impact.
Thanks for the info pal but unless its got ISOFIX then i wouldnt buy.
      08-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I think you both need to read up a bit more on ISOFIX.

Safety is the same as seatbelted car seats but ONLY if the seatbelted one is fitted correctly (they often aren't). If you fit them properly, they have the same levels of safety.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/isofix.htm

And the BMJ is rather keen on rear facing seats:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extra.../jun11_2/b1994

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._save_children

The safest seats are not available in the UK

Did you know that companies such as Britax and Graco market different products in different countries? In other countries, they are keen to promote rear facing car seats as the safest way for children to travel. In the UK, there is no such promotion and the rear facing seats manufactured by these companies are not available. In addition, all current UK government advice is that children should be placed in front facing car seats at approximately 9 months of age. This is significantly earlier than is advised in many other countries including the USA, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark.

We believe that it is vital that parents in the UK are given access to the evidence which shows that the safest way for children to travel is rear facing for as long as possible. Britax, Graco and many other companies manufacture rear facing seats which are designed for children up to 4 years of age but will not make them commercially available in the UK.

Can you use rear facing seats with ISOFIX?

Rear facing Isofix seats can be used where there are Isofix fittings in the car. In the back seat, it is mainly a question of space. The European ISO-group (who developed the Isofix standard) has developed a classification system for the available space in the car, and a corresponding size classification for the seats. This classification is included in ECE regulation 16. The biggest rear facing car seats are class "C", and if the car has "C-space", it can fit all existing car seats. "D" is for medium sized rear facing seats, and "E" is for the very smallest seats/cars.

It is more common with Isofix in the back seat but some newer cars also have Isofix fittings in the front seat. WARNING! Car seats can not be fitted in the front seat if there is an activated airbag installed!

Isofix can be used for car seats in ECE group 0, 0+ and 1 (from 0 to 18kg). The ISO-group is discussing increasing it to group 2 as well
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

OK i might move my position if rear facing ISOFIX are available. However i struggle to see how my nearly 4 yr old would actually fit backwards lol
      08-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
This is what I am getting for my lil girl who is due in 5 weeks!
Man I am getting old!
      08-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Steve - it is available. I'm obsessively careful with fitting our baby car seat - currently part of a Mothercare My3 travel system - but he's now almost too big for it.

Spm - is that a little big for a newborn? They usually have smaller seats - make sure head support is good - their heads really do flop around for about two months. Oh and congratulations too!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Spm - is that a little big for a newborn? They usually have smaller seats - make sure head support is good - their heads really do flop around for about two months. Oh and congratulations too!
Thanks for the insite, Yah I dont think I will be able to use it right away (although it does state - infant - 45lbs), that is why we bought the Teutonia with the stroller and the car seats, I do not rec taking your wife to see these. Once you arrive you will spend about 4 hours going thru all the choices and come out of there about 1700.00 less rich than you were when you went in! Total Racket! But nice product, very safe and came highly rec.
      08-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
1700.00?!!!! Flipping eck - carbon fibre tub and titanium fixings?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
1700.00?!!!! Flipping eck - carbon fibre tub and titanium fixings?!!
No, It comes with the stroller (has suspension and all kinds of other shit on it), the car seat (you get to design it), the car seat bases (2), the Basinet style carrier for on the stroller (I didnt want this for the record, also get to design this), a mitten warmer for their feet and legs, a hand warmer that goes over the stroller handle, man I could go on for an hour about all the shit that comes with this thing.
But at the end of the day, happy wife = happy life!
I think the stroller actually is titanium.

(oh yah I did upgrade the wheels to dubs on the stroller, heh)
      08-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Took my 7 hour old daughter home from hospital in the M3 yesterday - never driven so slowly! Car seat only just fitted, phew!
      08-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
http://www.teutoniausa.com/

There ya go! ^^^^ Just dont tell the wife or it is all over! I am not kidding!
      08-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
Took my 7 hour old daughter home from hospital in the M3 yesterday - never driven so slowly! Car seat only just fitted, phew!
Congratulations!!

Spm - looks like quality kit - not available here AFAIK.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
not available here.
Thank fook for that!!! I thought the price of a Bugaboo was high enough with all the extra kit (as good as it is though).

Congratulations 'Dar2008'; great feeling isn't it. I remember the drive home wondering what the hell you're suppose to do when you get home!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #15
SpmnE9zero
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Thank fook for that!!! And I thought the price of a Bugaboo was high with all the extra kit (as good as it is).
bugaboo, is also a great quality setup, but again very expensive! They had both, but we went with the Teutonia because it had more F'n options and seemed better built.
      08-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #16
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
When I walked into the shop for the first time the first thing I said to the assistant was 'I don't want one of those Bugaboos' as we'd look like one of the 'footballers wives' brigade (not me personally obviously). Tested them all then just before we left to have a think I pushed a Bugaboo out of the way and went 'whoa, that's light'; within a couple of minutes I'd bought one!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #17
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
@ this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hey, who let the 'yoof' on here
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

The problem with rear facing as I discovered in my car it makes front passenger seat unusable as it has to come forward.

Right now have my little one in a M&P rear faciing one but will move her to a Hane Front Facing ISOFIX one. Its a brand new model that features shock absorbers to decude the force the child is thrown forward in a crash. Reduction of around 3Gs. ITs a new thing on the marker and all reviews are praising it.

Rear facing would be nice but that means one passenger in the back in the 3 and no one else and very often we have 3 adults and the little one in the car
      08-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #20
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Quote:
I think you both need to read up a bit more on ISOFIX.

Safety is the same as seatbelted car seats but ONLY if the seatbelted one is fitted correctly (they often aren't). If you fit them properly, they have the same levels of safety.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/isofix.htm

And the BMJ is rather keen on rear facing seats:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extra.../jun11_2/b1994

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._save_children

The safest seats are not available in the UK

Did you know that companies such as Britax and Graco market different products in different countries? In other countries, they are keen to promote rear facing car seats as the safest way for children to travel. In the UK, there is no such promotion and the rear facing seats manufactured by these companies are not available. In addition, all current UK government advice is that children should be placed in front facing car seats at approximately 9 months of age. This is significantly earlier than is advised in many other countries including the USA, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark.

We believe that it is vital that parents in the UK are given access to the evidence which shows that the safest way for children to travel is rear facing for as long as possible. Britax, Graco and many other companies manufacture rear facing seats which are designed for children up to 4 years of age but will not make them commercially available in the UK.

Can you use rear facing seats with ISOFIX?

Rear facing Isofix seats can be used where there are Isofix fittings in the car. In the back seat, it is mainly a question of space. The European ISO-group (who developed the Isofix standard) has developed a classification system for the available space in the car, and a corresponding size classification for the seats. This classification is included in ECE regulation 16. The biggest rear facing car seats are class "C", and if the car has "C-space", it can fit all existing car seats. "D" is for medium sized rear facing seats, and "E" is for the very smallest seats/cars.

It is more common with Isofix in the back seat but some newer cars also have Isofix fittings in the front seat. WARNING! Car seats can not be fitted in the front seat if there is an activated airbag installed!

Isofix can be used for car seats in ECE group 0, 0+ and 1 (from 0 to 18kg). The ISO-group is discussing increasing it to group 2 as well
Thanks for this some good info if only I bought a bigger car as when I looked at the hane and ricaro rear facing ones the amount of rear space to fit them means the front passenger seat needs to be nearly fully forward. . Which means no room, looks like a forward facer for the bwm and a rear facer for the wifes KUGA when it arrives as it should fit in there
      08-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
The problem with rear facing as I discovered in my car it makes front passenger seat unusable as it has to come forward...

Rear facing would be nice but that means one passenger in the back in the 3 and no one else and very often we have 3 adults and the little one in the car
That's good to know. I was getting worried on the way to the hospital as I'd fitted the rear facing seat behind my seat - I've never sat so near the stearing wheel! Switched it to the other side for the trip home. Can't wait until she's old enough for a forwards facing seat,... it'll make family 'M' trips for comfortable.
      08-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #22
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
dar - read that article - seriously. Babies and small kids necks cannot handle the forces of a crash, hence rear facing being MUCH safer.

In five years, we'll all be using them - mark my words. Seat slightly forward or safe child? Not a tough decision.
Appreciate 0