ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Radio question "M" roadster

Hello,
I am currently in search mode to find a good condition 2006/2007 Z4M roadster. I am only looking at the "M" roadster. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could clear up about the radio.

I have driven several Z4M's and the non-GPS version say business CD on the radio. The GPS versions of course are different.

All of the models do not have built in Satellite radio that I can figure out. Here are my questions:

1. Was factory satelite radio an option on either of these 2 radios?

2. Is there a difference in sound quality of these 2 radios? (speakers, amps, ect).

3. Are there other radio options for the M roadster that I have not seen.

4. Is there a way I can install satelite radio that will be intergrated into the factory radio and steering wheel controls?

I use satellite radio quite a bit and would like to have it but I do not want to have the portable unit in the M roadster. I would like to be able to have satelite radio intergrated in either radio (please let me know if one radio would work better vs the other, GPS is not that important to me).

I would also like to be able to hook up my Iphone to play music as well but that is not as important.

I have driven several roadsters and this is the one that is talking to me the most. I hope to find one I really like in the next few months.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

I had a 06 Z4 (non M) before my current M roadster,
so I have had both radios (headunits) and both sound systems (standard 10 speaker and the premium THX Carver system) I had the Business in the Z4 and I have the Premium bells and whistles THX in the M,

answers to your Q's,

1, Yes, I have it optioned on my car from the factory,

2, Yes, The M's Premium THX sound is much better than the regular 10 speaker sound system, But its not all that great IMO,
My 3 Series has the Logic 7 premium sound and its head and shoulders better than the sound system in the M, don't get me wrong its a good system and I'm not that into stereo's at all but I can hear a difference,
Most of the time I have the radio very low, The top down, and I listed to that S54 singing to me, Now THATS music!

3, I don't think so, It was either business or nav headunit, and the sound system was either standard or the THX Carver system and that comes with 2 subwoofer's

4, Yes this is possible, however I have been hearing on the boards BMW no longer sells it, someone will have to confirm this and I didn't look into it further as I already have mine,

Hopefully that helps you out
These M's are a lot of fun and if you need anymore questions answered just ask!

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and just to add, if the car has the premium package installed then it WILL have the THX Carver system stock,

The head unit could still be the business unit, but the speakers and amp will be upgraded

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Oh and just to add, if the car has the premium package installed then it WILL have the THX Carver system stock,

The head unit could still be the business unit, but the speakers and amp will be upgraded
Hey thanks, that was fast.

I have seen the premium package mentioned in several adds. Is there a way when looking at the car in person I can tell if it has the package?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

the premium package included,

Power front seats,
BMW assist with Bluetooth (look for the 2 buttons under a clear plastic cover where the center console box is)
Cruise control,
Elastic storage net on the passenger side footwell,
Auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors (they will have a blue tint to them)
and the mentioned THX Carver sound system,

If you have a online link to a car with pictures I'll tell you if I see anything,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Great, every car I have driven has those options so far so it sounds like it is a popular package for the M

Thanks for the quick reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Yeah I would say that most M roadsters I saw when searching had the premium package.

As Starscream stated NAV and the premium audio are two different things and as long as it has the premium pack it will have the premium sound.

For now it seems that the sirius module is unavailable. I lightly checked into it last week and two people said it wasn't available from BMW currently....who knows maybe forever. I haven't done a lot of digging to see if I can find one so they may be out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I purchased an 06 M Coupe from a member of this board, approx. a month ago. Like you, I was concerned about the premium sound and wanted to have the best sound available from the factory. Having lived with the premium sound for the last month and 2000 miles, I have come to know the qualities of the "premium sound" system BMW chose to put in the car. And, I'm sorry to tell you it is a very very poor system from the head unit through the amps and culminating in the speakers. I realize we are dealing with a very small space (although the high end headphone manufacturers have little trouble with small spaces, ggg), but the execution of the sound system in this car is terrible.
I could go on to say the radio, which doesn't even have a mono switch for fringe areas, and God only knows how bad it would be with just one antenna..... The integrated preamp is a master of misdirection sending various frequencies willy nilly through the speakers, with the occassional strident squawk that makes one wonder: WTF?. The tone quality and the integration between the tweets, mids and woofers is best described and non integrated and of tabletop radio quality. Frankly the system's best quality feature is it can be turned on without engaging the key while sitting and waiting for someone. Make no mistake, this premium system falls flat on all fronts.
Too bad, they didn't spend the money do provide a decent sound system, but, when they marketed it as "premium", I think they crossed an ethical line.
Lew
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If you think this is bad, listen to the optional HK premium system in the E46. It will lower your benchmark to levels you didn't think it could go in a $56k car.

The good news is in those cars and probably this one the pre-amp head unit aren't actually to blame but the processing and crossovers in the amp unit. Many people have installed aftermarket amps with balanced RCA inputs straight from the pre-amp, added aftermarket speakers along with a sub and have a great combo. Not saying this would be the same with the Z4 head unit, but probably would be.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Interesting comments. Not sure why balanced RCA's would make a noticeable difference, but, no doubt new speakers would be of bennefit, and if the crossover is occuring in the amp, then that would make a change out of the amp more compelling.
Thank you for the input,
Lew
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

I have an 07 M Roadster and it has the Premium Pkg including the upgraded Carver system. I did notice that the sound quality of 06 and 07 are different from each other. I had an 06 M Roadster previously and I noticed a distinct difference. Both have the upgraded Carver system. Not sure if that makes any difference to you but thought I'd mention it.

If you get a chance to listen to both, take a CD with you so you can have the same source material to compare between cars. See if you notice a difference.
Appreciate 0