E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need your opinion. Have a fender issue

08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Bmwusa-f36
Michael
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Need your opinion. Have a fender issue

I was cleaning my car last Saturday. when I opened the hood, I saw that the right fender is broken inside. It is broken, were the fender is screwed to the frame. So, Monday I went to BMW, and asked them if this is covered by warranty. Today I got a phone call. it is covered. the only problem is, they want to have the car for 3 days. I thought, they only paint the new fender and put it on. but I was told, to match the color 100%, they have to paint a little bit on the passenger door and hood too. It really shocked me. Please let me know your opinion. doesn't this degrease the car value. wouldn't there be a line at the door and on the hood??? I only want to have the new fender.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

if they have to paint anything other than the fender itself, yea, there will be a color mismatch along the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Whenever you paint one panel....

...you have to "blend" the paint onto adjacent panels or you will always have a color mismatch....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
rotaryboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT

Yes, it needs to be blended for best results.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Wow! That Sucks

Dude tough call. To paint a new car and do the blending sucks. You'll always be able to tell it was painted. Did you ask them if the crack in the fender makes the car more prone to damage or injury in a crash? If not leave it alone for now. Otherwise you got to replace and paint. Make sure these guys do good work.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
This is considered to be a warranty issue and therefore will not be reported as any type of collision or otherwise damage.

The paint will not decrease the value of the car whatsoever. If the car had been in a collision then YES, there would be a hit.

Anytime a body panel needs to be painted on a vehicle the adjacent panels HAVE to be "blended" to insure a proper color match. This is to be expected for a quality paint job. Parts such as bumpers would normally be removed for paint since these parts are more likely to be damaged over time. No worries and expect that when you receive your car back you won't be able to tell anything was ever done.

Look at some of the cars driving around town with the color mismatched doors etc .......... THOSE are the shops you want to steer clear of.

Last edited by ToadHollow; 08-09-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Bmwusa-f36
Michael
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
This is considered to be a warranty issue and therefore will not be reported as any type of collision or otherwise damage.

The paint will not decrease the value of the car whatsoever. If the car had been in a collision then YES, there would be a hit.

Anytime a body panel needs to be painted on a vehicle the adjacent panels HAVE to be "blended" to insure a proper color match. This is to be expected for a quality paint job. Parts such as bumpers would normally be removed for paint since these parts are more likely to be damaged over time. No worries and expect that when you receive your car back you won't be able to tell anything was ever done.

Look at some of the cars driving around town that color mismatched doors etc .......... THOSE are the shops you want to steer clear of.
This is exactly what the service guy told me yesterday. they are going to write me a paper, which says, that this had to be done because of a factory defect, and not because of an accident. so, I let them do it.
Appreciate 0