E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clear coat peeling...wtf.

08-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Clear coat peeling...wtf.

Like the title says, what the fuck? The car has 49,7XX miles on it, only 3 years old. I drove it to Cleveland this past weekend, went out to wash it tonight to get all of the bug guts and whatnot off of the front end and found that the driver's side lower bumper is peeling, mainly by the foglight housing. They're not chips as far as I can tell, but it is peeling like a sunburn in a few spots, it's horribly obvious and has the potential to make the whole front end look like shit if it spreads. I'm not about to shell out for an M-Tech bumper, I would if I could, but I'm bringing it by the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out to see if it's covered under new car warranty. I let the shoddy paint job go with 2-3 paint drips, not to mention the paint drips on the wheels, but this is a little ridiculous to have it peel in such a way, even if it's from rock chips, it should stay confined to those chips, right?
Attached Images

Last edited by Marcumac; 08-05-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

please post pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Picture quality sucks, all I had was a point & shoot.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Wonder if part of the bumper (or all of it) was repainted due to shipping damage or something and the clearcoat didn't bond right, definitely would take that up with the dealer as properly applied paint will never do that no matter what you do to it, stones or salt etc will not cause the cleancoat to come off like that over an area!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Wonder if part of the bumper (or all of it) was repainted due to shipping damage or something and the clearcoat didn't bond right, definitely would take that up with the dealer as properly applied paint will never do that no matter what you do to it, stones or salt etc will not cause the cleancoat to come off like that over an area!
Yeah this seems plausible. Especially if you said there were paint drips and paint on the wheels? It wouldn't have left the factory that way. Definitely get it taken care of before you hit 50,000 miles, just to ensure there are no problems.

To fix it, you're probably looking at a respray of the bumper though.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I suppose that's very possible, especially since the paint underneath shows no signs of wear (or chips) and it is concentrated in one section of the bumper, not to mention the area where the foglights meet the bumper, no way a rock could get in there to cause this sort of damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
To fix it, you're probably looking at a respray of the bumper though.
Fine by me, I'm just hoping they comply. I'll point out the overspray as well, it didn't bother me much before, I just figured it was common on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
tambo916
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcumac View Post
Like the title says, what the fuck? The car has 49,7XX miles on it, only 3 years old. I drove it to Cleveland this past weekend, went out to wash it tonight to get all of the bug guts and whatnot off of the front end and found that the driver's side lower bumper is peeling, mainly by the foglight housing. They're not chips as far as I can tell, but it is peeling like a sunburn in a few spots, it's horribly obvious and has the potential to make the whole front end look like shit if it spreads. I'm not about to shell out for an M-Tech bumper, I would if I could, but I'm bringing it by the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out to see if it's covered under new car warranty. I let the shoddy paint job go with 2-3 paint drips, not to mention the paint drips on the wheels, but this is a little ridiculous to have it peel in such a way, even if it's from rock chips, it should stay confined to those chips, right?
What ever happened with this? Did the dealer cover it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Did you have the car since new? Paint drips and overspray are definitely indications of a repaint at some point. At the factory, all painted parts are painted before anything else is assembled onto the car, so it would be impossible to get overspray from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

cant really see it. post some clear pics. please
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
seems to me that this vehicle was damaged at one point before you took ownership of it. This has all the signs of an aftermarket paint job. BMW & Merc have a paint thickness code of .07 mil. The dealership (or and bodyshop) should have a paint thickness probe. get readings from your trunk and rear quarter panels. Compare that with your front hood, front quarter panels... the re-paint job could have been done to more locations than you think... this happened to me on a used Mercedes I once owned. I traded it in for a new Merc and the dealership did this to evaluate my trade... boy was I surprised! I didn't even know. Over-spray is a clear indicator of an after-market poor paint job. Good luck... let us know about the paint depth readings.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
seems to me that this vehicle was damaged at one point before you took ownership of it. This has all the signs of an aftermarket paint job. BMW & Merc have a paint thickness code of .07 mil. The dealership (or and bodyshop) should have a paint thickness probe. get readings from your trunk and rear quarter panels. Compare that with your front hood, front quarter panels... the re-paint job could have been done to more locations than you think... this happened to me on a used Mercedes I once owned. I traded it in for a new Merc and the dealership did this to evaluate my trade... boy was I surprised! I didn't even know. Over-spray is a clear indicator of an after-market poor paint job. Good luck... let us know about the paint depth readings.
As far as I can tell, you are right - the photos seem to indicate an aftermarket paint job.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Sorry guys, totally forgot to update the thread. No I didn't buy it new, it was a lease return. I determined that the car was in a minor front end collision somewhere in Kentucky back in 2007 by means of a Carfax, I was never informed (I suppose I should have asked) but I figured I had nothing to worry about considering it was CPO. For some reason there was no police report # attached, so I wasn't able to find out much more.

The BMW Store here in Cincinnati looked at the damage for me but informed me that the paint protection plan I have is only good with the dealer I purchased from, so they passed the word along for me, I picked it up and dropped it off this past Monday at Jake Sweeney BMW for paint. They took care of a small paint run as well as repainted the lower left portion of my bumper, looks pretty good to me, you can definitely tell it's fresh paint, but as far as matching the rest of the front it's spot on. My only quip is that there are what seems to be small indentations underneath the paint, it's not painfully obvious but if you get close enough they're visible, I'm pretty sure that they were there before and the new paint just made it more apparent.

The whole paint process only took 2 days, although they didn't even give me a proper work order for it or say anything else about what was done. One of the many reasons I only go through Jake Sweeney if I have to, their customer service, for the most part, blows.
Appreciate 0